Beatles Remasters on Vinyl (part 12)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

So it seems these pressings are universally loathed. I have listened to a lot of them and so far Abby Road was unlistenable due to popping and constant crackles. But every record from Please please me to Hard Days Night has been ok in my book. Some noise between tracks but it seems to not be there in quieter parts of songs. I am perfectly happy so far with those. Hopefully the rest will be decent and i will only have to swap out a couple tops. When i started skimming this thread I thought I was doomed.

2. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

No I don't blame you not wanting to shell out twice Tom. Who knows, it may be that the first batch of Rainbo LP's were the worse, and now EMI/Capitol are now watching them like a hawk? Or they know which batches were problematic and have avoided those runs for replacements. Maybe they've pressed some new ones? They might even have tested a few? You'll know soon enough. I'd hate to think that you got sent the same or worse! I think that the popmarket link would be a good bet for new USA buyers who are worried about Rainbo - but also worried about buying from Overseas. So they would (fingers crossed) get German pressings in a USA box. Of course that still doesn't guarantee perfection. I lucked out fortunately. Only Past Masters left to listen to - so hopefully that will be OK. There's no way I'd return the whole box just for one LP!

3. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Oh, OK. Thanks for the clarification. I guess all those sites calling him Michael Fremer got it wrong. ;)

:wave:

4. The writers at Stereophile all refer to him as Mikey. Now, when I have corresponded with him via email and also via PM here, I have called him Michael or Mr. Fremer, but I guess I am old fashioned. ;)

5. imarcq

So he's on SH.tv incognito eh? I was only wondering earlier who actually might be. Even our host perhaps under a pseudonym? It would make perfect commercial sense I guess? You can say what you like, trash who or whatever you want to, but not worry about the business consequences...or the rent! ;)

6. marknoir

marknoir Forum Resident

There is a button "ask Mikey" on his web-site - "Analog Planet", so I assume he calls himself "Mikey".

7. marknoir

marknoir Forum Resident

Bummer... I've ordered mine from UK about a week ago for $409. Still waiting. Had I known about this Pop Market thing, it would have been a no-brainer. Returned my US box because about half was defective...

8. marknoir

marknoir Forum Resident

Thx for the link. Is this $309.99 deal with shipping included?

9. imarcq

Thats what it says! If you buy I hope it works :) You need to click on the cart again after you hit buy as the page resets to the current daily deal. But your purchase remains in the cart. Whether they will honor it I don't know, but they usually will honor other past expired deals as long as that item didn't sell out, so no reason to suspect they won't here. Normally if you google "popmarket [+ the name of band or item] deal of the day" it will bring up past daily deals. Some have expired but others still work. Which is what seems to be the case here [so far!] Of course now people realise that it's not (as posted by another forum member) Rainbo pressings then they might bite a bit quicker now!

10. Not incognito. His username is well known. It's "grooves."

11. imarcq

I never knew. Maybe I should PPM him a fab xmas! :) Or maybe not, his last post was in January 2011 after a gap of several years. Perhaps he doesn't like us here very much?

12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

If you ordered from Amazon UK, here's a thought: use the Popmarket deal and buy their box, then with both on hand you select the best pressings to have yourself a good complete set, then return the rejects back to Amazon UK for a refund.

13. imarcq

Smart. :)

14. Nah. He likes us OK. ;)

15. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Just finished battling with Amazon.ca and Hot Topic for a refund (last bit from Hot Topic was contested by them because they wanted a full description on what was wrong with the albums and I flat out told them that they sound terrible between pops, clicks, and non fill).

The mono ones are going to be this bad, aren't they?

16. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I strongly doubt it. I suspect that, as with the CDs, EMI won't sell the monos separately. You'll have to buy the full box. As with the CDs, they will sell far less of them than the stereos, making it possible for them to again source the monos worldwide all from one plant. Particularly in light of its experience chillingly documented here, EMI will do the right thing. It may take a bit more time than spring 2013 to get them out, though. I'm betting on this time next year.
    The mono vinyls will be awesome.

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Once you get into the world of people who still buy records, mono will be far more appealing to that audience, I should think. I think the mono LPs will sell far better relative to the stereo LPs than the mono CDs sold relative to the stereo CDs (and they had to go to a second pressing of the mono CD box because they apparently initially underestimated the demand for that).

18. sambamaster

sambamaster Forum Resident

Went to Amoeba in Berkeley today. Asked if they'd had lots of Beatles LP returns. No response. He didn't know what I was talking about. So apparently, this brick and mortar store (supposedly an important one) is not having issues. He said, "it's something we'd all be talking about here if there were problems." Well, there you have it! Guess there are no problems. We are all delusional!

Tommyboy likes this.
  19. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Wait 'til next week, when the Christmas wrapping is off.

20. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Speak for yourself. I had my record store owner tell me the same thing in response to that question.
    (Head over to the thread on the new Rhino reissue of Forever Changes. The villagers are torching RTI for-wait for it-bad, "muddy," pressings.)
    Hey, let's all meet at Area 51 and compare our label quality!

21. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Apparently, not many from here bought the Rainbo pressings from Amoeba in Berkeley.

As you mentioned before, my EU box has some super dead quiet vinyl. Love the ultra silent/pitch black backgound. This, plus the lack of (noisy/fakey)reverb makes these digital tranfers very easy to listen to, and add a touch of depth without reverb added. Actually, it reminds me of the difference between my many original Blue Notes and the Music Matters reissues.

sambamaster likes this.
  22. Ive actually heard this from the few brick and mortars. Amoeba in San Francisco the same thing....few returns. No more than any other LPs. The majority it buyers are not audiophiles.

23. imarcq

So bang on EMI's target market really? And they are not likely to complain or even 'hear' any perceived subtleties good or bad. The "cool factor" in action :) Sadly :(

24. imarcq

What happened to the Whirlybirds? ;)

25. imarcq

I couldn't wait! But I saved cracking open the book for xmas day though. Fingers crossed they'll be no warps or non-fill inside the book! :)

hodgo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.