Beatles Sgt. Pepper inner groove poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rfreeman, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Last option - play as long as possible as The Beatles intended

Was it omitted on the original US vinyl?

2. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I didn't know about this until Rarities in the 1980s. One play-through at the end of a CD is good enough for me.

team2 and ohnothimagen like this.
  3. Matty

Matty Senior Member

In principle, as was done on CD. But now that I can no longer hear the relevant frequencies, I typically spend those several seconds lamenting my hearing loss, and thus as I remove my Sgt. Pepper CD from the player I feel slightly sad, which I'm pretty sure isn't the effect the Beatles intended. So I almost wish the tone wasn't there...

andrewskyDE likes this.
  4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I remember having heard the 13kHz tone in my 20s and 30s. I certainly cannot hear it in my 60s!

5. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I like the James Gang: Side 1: Flip Me Over. Side 2: Play Me Again (or something like that).

Rfreeman likes this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member Thread Starter

Genesis had "Put Another Record On"

7. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

Ding, ding, ding! I think we’ve reached peak Beatles/Forum comment:targettiphat:

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I prefer it the way it was on the official CD releases. Long enough with fade out.

9. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

As the Inner Groove is my favorite Beatles track I have oft been offended by its treatment on CD players. They could have at least waited until the chorus.

fpcassini, MitchLT and Rfreeman like this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can remember being able to hear the frequency in my mid teens. I don't think I'd be able to now though. I don't think I've heard it in years.

Might check it out on 2014 mono later.

11. dcshark

dcshark Forum Resident

Play it once, but I wish it had been a separate track and not included on A Day in the Life

Dyland and willy like this.
  12. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Well, we haven't started to compare mono/stereo differences in the inner groove track yet...

Matty likes this.
  13. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Other: As was done on cd, but played backwards.

[​IMG]

Hall Cat likes this.
  14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I never could speak any other way ...

15. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

I too really think it should've been its own track, not part of 'A Day In The Life'.

Why were there no outtakes in the Pepper box?

Incidentally it would have fitted perfectly at the end of 'You Know My Name...'

ajsmith likes this.
  16. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

You left off 'OMG, make it stop!'

Shaddam IV likes this.
  17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Wow, good question! It would be fascinating to hear the larger bit of Beatle Babble that this snippet was excerpted from and put it in more context.

Dyland likes this.
  18. tensummoner

tensummoner wish i had a nickle.. thats it just wish i had 1

sorry if I am not completely understanding the topic here, but are we mainly voting on how that epic long piano note on "A Day In The Life" is to be recorded? if so, its still a world record holder and should be as it was originally. pardon me if im off topic

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member Thread Starter

No, we are discussing the sounds after you stop hearing the last reverberations of that note.

20. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

If I could go back in a time machine and convince George, Geoff and Richard (and the other four fellows!) to listen to my idea of having rapturous audience applause/reactions as the inner groove instead (i.e., applause that goes on forever if you don't take the needle out of the groove) I would!
    I'd also suggest taking a copy of the final chord and using varispeed to slow it down by 50% to take the chord down one octave and synch that copy to the final chord so we'd have an elongated decay on the final chord (I'm surprised that they didn't think of that back in the day).

willy, The Ole' Rocker and olsen like this.
  21. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I always wondered why they didn't put it in the runout groove on the US version of Rarities.

fpcassini and Keith V like this.
  22. team2

team2 Forum Resident

On the album Go Insane by Lindsey Buckingham, the song "Play In The Rain" ends Side 1 with a repeating chord in the run-out groove. On the cassette version, it was faded out after only a few seconds of repeating, just like the Pepper CD.

MitchLT and Keith V like this.
  23. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Yes, the longer version (i.e. plays once) is on the US rarities LP and the UK cassette (at least - I don't know about the 8-track cartridge).

It has what sounds like a bit of Ringo laughing, which isn't on the LP loop.

fpcassini likes this.
  24. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Question..... I was unaware it wasn't on the US version. Why was it cut from the US version, is there a reason? I know a lot of people in the US have said they can live without it, but it was conceived by The Beatles to be on the album, along with the high pitched sound for dogs.

Oh, and I voted Play as long as CD capacity allows and then end abruptly

25. Jeff W. Richman

Jeff W. Richman The Richman Curse www.soundclick.com/qoquaq

I think the hippest use of an idea like this is what The Moody Blues did at the end of “On The Threshold Of A Dream”.

It was designed for a turntable that automatically lifts the needle at the end of the side.

They had this spaceship sound that ran passed the point where the needle would be lifted.

So it was a jarring end, like being awakened from a dream.

The CD fades out which isn’t nearly as effective.

fpcassini likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.