Beatles US albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sweetdudejim, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Okay, today a Walmart I picked up the Capital Yesterday and Today and Rubber Soul for the mono mixes.
    Those were the main two I wanted for a couple of reasons.
    First, I don't own any of those songs in any mono versions. Not even the 87s cds.
    All those tracks are stereo mixes even in 87 on the UK Help, RS, Revolver or PM II
    In time I will want the Meet the Beatles, Second Album, Beatles 65, and Beatles VI, but at least I own them in some form of mono from the 87 cds.

Keith V and Dinstun like this.
  2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

What price did you pay at Walmart?
    Some folks Walmarts have them for $5.
    One about 20 miles from me had them listed at $13.88. bit they rang up at the register for $9. (I bought Y&T, Help! and AHDN at that price).
    But the Walmart near my home still has them for the $13.88 price and a price check confirms they are still selling them at that price.
    You might want to try to get the Capitol Albums Vol. 1 box, which has Meet, Second, 65 and Something new.
    Amazon seller has a used copy for $10 plus $4 shipping. Click on the used section on this page: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00065XJ48...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6quuzycfgw_b

3. Price.pittsburgh

Thanks. Yeah, I got lucky at thought I was paying 13.88 a piece too but both rang up at 9 bucks. I almost went back and grabbed another at that price but chose to check a local used cd store and he had Help! For 5 bucks, although it appears to be one from the volume II capital box set.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Michael likes this.
  4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

The Capitol Box Help! isn't a gatefold, if I remember correctly.

Michael likes this.
  5. Price.pittsburgh

Correct. The sleeve is much smaller with out much attempt to replicate the LP. However, Help! Just happens to be one of 2 US Capital LPs I've purchased on vinyl from Goodwill.

6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Somewhere out there is someone who likes the US Revolver better than the UK one.

7. Price.pittsburgh

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Correct...it is a gatefold on the Japanese edition of Volume 2...

9. Michael

NO BOX!

10. Price.pittsburgh

They're selling them individually. Even Yesterday and Today and the US Revolver and the United Artists Hard Days Night.

11. Michael

What? Not from the US CDs from the Vol 1 & 2 Box sets...
    You must be referring to the Fake/Lie US Box set...They are NOT the American albums...

Duophonic likes this.
  12. Price.pittsburgh

The Help! that I got is from the volume 2 box because I got it used at a used CD store. The Y&T and Rubber Soul are individual copies of the most recent box. I know those RS and Y&T aren't the 60s mixes but I just wanted those songs in mono because they're all stereo on my other versions (87 and 2009) on the UK albums they appear on. If I ever do go for mono of the real early material I'll get the volume 1 2004 box cause (correct me if I'm wrong) it has the 60s capital fake stereo) and I at least have those songs in mono on the 87 CDs even if bad transfers.

13. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

If it don't have duophonic, then it's a phony lol....I got the faux US Albums box for fun, and for the louder mono, but that's really it. I don't care about the 1987 remixes remastered in 2009 masquerading as 1965 and 1966 albums!

14. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Don't know if Capitol will still do it, but if you had a Vol 2 with the fold down on I'm Looking Through You, they sent the corrected disc and let you keep the "bad" one.

15. Price.pittsburgh

I noticed I'm Looking Through You has the false start on the US stereo mix of RS from the CDs being sold individually now from the newer box. So is that the same stereo mix from capital in the 60s but the mono mixes are new?

16. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Seeing BEATLE product going so low in price must show the industry MUST be in trouble. Beatles CD's NEVER went that low before. There was a question about why Volume 3 wasn't put out. Next time I see Bruce Spizer, I really need to ask him again. The last time, the recent box wasn't out yet. Curious to see what he would say.

17. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I believe they made their own false start and tacked it on to the 2009 version of the 1987. They did the same thing to the Help! James Bond intro version. I dunno what was the source for the James Bond intro, if it came from the original tape, or from the original source, but it was tacked on.

18. Michael

OK, yes early fake stereo as we heard it back then on the original albums.

19. slane

slane Forum Resident

ILTY is the 1965 mix.

20. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I freely admit, some days I do, some days I don't- depends on my mood, really...a "British albums" mood or a "US albums" mood!:p

Mark Wilson and notesfrom like this.
  21. Price.pittsburgh

I think cds in general are in trouble, not just Beatles items. But Walmart always has discounts that you won't find at other stores. And with the 9 dollar ones, the buyer has no idea they're that low until they ring up becaue they're labeled at 13.88

22. Price.pittsburgh

So how bad are the first four mono 87 cds?
    For me, I;m not too pressed to buy the US albums on cd that represent those songs (Meet the Beatles, Second Album, Something New or United Artist Hard Days Night, Beatles 65 or Beatles VI, because I at least have them in mono. on Please Please Me, With the Beatles, UK Hard Days Night, Beatles for Sale and Past Masters I.
    Also, is the Past Masters I mono better than the first four UK 87 cds?

23. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Beatles for sale (1987) is mud. Hard Day's Night (1987) suffers from using a stereo headstack for a full track mono tape with flying edits being obvious

24. phonogenicity

phonogenicity New Member

Concerning FROM ME TO YOU, why did it take so long for it to be available on lp?

25. beatstonemargo

beatstonemargo Forum Resident

We were luckier here in Canada. The LP's, Beatlemania With the Beatles and Twist and Shout, we're sonically identical to the mono UK releases, Please Please Me and With the Beatles. However, Twist and Shout did remove a couple of tracks from Please Please Me to add 45 hits.
    The third unique Canadian LP release, Long Tall Sally, was also a true mono release, although it's possible that Capitol USA had now begun supplying their own altered tracks on this LP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.