Beatles White Album - Mono or Stereo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Both.

The stereo is my go-to because that's what I grew up with, but the mono definitely has merit also. [Although every time I hear the mono Helter Skelter I feel like something's missing....]

2. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Both are essential. It's a dead heat for me in terms of which I prefer. My best ever charity shop find was a very low number original mono version for £1.

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Where's the poll?

Mono for me, when i first
    heard The Doctor's needle-drop,
    it was almost like hearing it for
    the first time! WOW

Scooterpiety and StateOfTheArt like this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    saborlord123 and Scope J like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

6. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

What about a mono-stereo hybrid from Giles?

Michael and bherbert like this.
  7. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

"Center the vocals"?? The vocals ARE centered for like 95% of the album. :confused:

Michael likes this.
  8. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

The stereo is my go-to because it sounds much better than the mono. :)

Michael likes this.
  9. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Stereo

Michael likes this.
  10. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

If you really love this music, both are necessary. :thumbsup:

11. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

My 2 ears are used to stereo.

Michael likes this.
  12. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

For me, after due deliberation, I reckon the stereo version is the very best there is. When you absolutely, positively, got to hear every single note on the album; accept no substitutes!
    Oh and turn it louder (no... go on, keep turning, that's it!) for 'Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey' and try not sing to 'Maharishi' for 'Sexy Sadie'... ;)

Shak Cohen and Michael like this.
  13. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I hate mono, especially White Album mono.

Muzmus and Michael like this.
  14. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Stereo

Have and enjoy both, though.

15. I prefer the stereo version. Since it's original release, I had only heard it in stereo until the "Mono" CD box came out. Had I only had one good ear, I probably wouldn't have had a preference. Since I have 2 good ears, I prefer the depth and spaciousness of the stereo mix. Plus, since the with the stereo version, all the sound isn't crammed into a single channel, certain aspects of the recordings are more apparent rather than being buried in the mono mix. With the early Beatles recordings being recorded in only 2 channels, they seem to be out of balance and sound more coherent in mono. Even with their later recordings using 4-track, like with the "Sgt. Pepper's ", because the stereo version seemed also out of balance and off-kilter, the mono version was preferable until the 2017 stereo mix came out.

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Magnificent find. Good work! Especially as charity shops usually see The Beatles and either put them straight on eBay or put a ridiculously high price on it regardless of condition.

I got my stereo original White album complete from a charity shop about 10 - 15 years ago for £5. It's in VG+ condition throughout and plays very well. I got a complete mono original from a car boot sale about 5 years ago for a ridiculously cheap 20p! The sleeve and both records were filthy and needed a good clean but they came up well and it was only a bit crackly in places after that. I gave that one away when I got the mono box and kept the stereo as it was in better condition.

17. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Yes, indeed. :righton:

Just curious - what pressing do you have? I think your setup may need tweaking if it sounds muddy, have you tried?

18. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I kind of prefer the Mono but I would say it's a small difference. I like the "I've got blisters on my fingers!" bit at the end of Helter Skelter but sometimes I lose concentration and miss it. The Mono version is also my favourite of the 2014 Mono Remasters.

19. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

When all is said and done, I think stereo has the edge here. (Try listening to Julia in both mixes--it's gorgeous in stereo.)

Michael likes this.
  20. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I like the sudden start of "Good Night" in the mono version. On the stereo version, it fades in. This is much more coherent, but the sudden "first chord" on the mono is a lot more interesting to me. I also like the fiddling on "Don't Pass Me By" much more on the mono version.,

21. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm inclined to say that we cannot really do a fair comparison of mono vs. stereo because the mixes are different (or so I've been told). What I mean is, you might prefer the concept of mono or stereo, but your choice in terms of preference may be confounded by which mix you prefer.

OK; blah, blah, blah. To me, all I have to do is listen to While My Guitar Gently Weeps (I'm using the 2009 mono and stereo CDs for reference). McCartney's bass on the mono version sounds like a bucket of mud in an incongruous mish-mash of unclear sound. On the stereo version his bass, and all of the other instruments, very much have their own voice, all very wonderfully articulated. For the record, I do most of my listening on headphones. I also prefer to hear the music separated in stereo and assemble the whole in my head, rather than having mono do that for me. But I do acknowledge that there are some strengths associated with mono, including a more focused vocal, drums, etc. (although I certainly wouldn't describe the mono While My Guitar Gently Weeps from 2009 to be at all focused). But I'm unclear as to how to separate a preference for stereo over mono and a preference for a stereo mix vs. a mono mix. When I think about these things, I generally just go listen to something else. :nyah:

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Both. The mixes are just so different that it is interesting to listen to both.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

As I usually answer on these threads (yes, there have been many White Album mono vs. stereo threads), I prefer about a third of the tracks in mono, a third in stereo, and a third equally. There are so many differences between the two, that's it's nice to have both to choose from.

I will say that McCartney's bass has much better pop and definition on the stereo.

Archtop and Michael like this.
  24. I've got an OG stereo mix LP and the recent mono reissued LP. I must admit that I hit the latter more often.

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Well as I don't listen to music wearing headphones,mono.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.