Beatles White Album, What Pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikeyt, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

As long as I have table food for them they're fine.....sigh.

Michael likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wanna have fun? PLAY THE SINGING DOGS "Jingle bells"...O' YEA!

3. bosto

bosto Forum Resident

My December 1968 13 year old ears loved the album on my Sears Silvertone record player (US Capitol release). But I had to return a copy because the needle would jump over the base and drums in “Birthday”.

4. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

yes first run, although that run may have gone well into 1969 - 625,000 to be more exact or there abouts !!

5. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

I have a German pressing with the number 172-7 91461 1a. I can't seem to find any information as to release year or how it compares for sound quality. Anyone help, please.

6. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Is it this one?

The Beatles - The Beatles

I have this also. It sounds pretty good, IMO.

Archtop and Sgt Pepper like this.
  7. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

That's the one, I think. :)

Edgard Varese likes this.
  8. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

That pressing is from 1977 I believe. I own a copy and it's a decent sounding pressing and also a forum favorite.

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  9. Here in Canada you should keep an eye out for this pressing:
    The Beatles - The Beatles
    The vinyl itself is dead-silent & the mastering is clear as a bell, with thunderous bass where applicable. Good luck!

ohnothimagen likes this.
  10. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

I have the French 'L'Orange' special edition...

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have the 1982 Japanese mono pressing of the White Album on red vinyl and don’t find it dull sounding at all, when compared to other mono versions. I think it sounds more processed, than other mono pressings (original UK, 1981 UK, 2014).

The mono mix in general sounds duller when compared to the stereo mix, which I happen to prefer.

12. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Interesting. I have a German DMM, but it's different from yours (it's also on Apple, not Parlophone and on white vinyl). Mine is from 1985: The Beatles - The Beatles

I agree that it sounds very good.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  13. Michael

yes, that's the nature on many Mono albums DULL...Stereo rings true and so much fun to listen to...

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Not always. I can tell you the original UK stereo pressing of With The Beatles with -2/-2 matrices is duller sounding than any of its mono counterparts.

15. Michael

well of course there is always one. ; ) and I said many ...Not all...

Tommyboy likes this.
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

That is indeed a good one- you can't really go wrong with the 1983 pressings of any of their albums, though.

17. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

So the 1983 US pressing of the white album is good then too?

daveidmarx likes this.
  18. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Couldn't tell ya,man- I used to own the '83 Canadian pressing. From what I've read about the '83 US version, it's one of the better US pressings out there. Apparently the mid 70's orange Capitol label pressings are to be avoided though.

19. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

20. moofassa_ca

moofassa_ca Senior Member

The 3 stereo vinyl copies of 'THE BEATLES' that I have on vinyl are in order of preference.
    1. UK top loader (-1 all four sides) 1968.
    2. UK BC13 Blue Box (-3/-6/-2/-2) inner bag dated 11/83.
    3. Canadian Purple Capitol (A5/G9/C-2/D-2) 1980. Record 1 MASTERED BY CAPITOL, Record 2 cut @ The Lacquer Channel.

Also have 'THE BEATLES IN MONO' vinyl box. Haven't played that version much because I prefer the stereo.

21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I am lucky to have the German DMM, which I just happened to buy (as a companion to the colored red and blue albums) when it was available. Sounds great, though there are a couple of odd things about it. Some of the songs have shorter breaks between them (notably Truffle/Cry Baby Cry-- That was always a tight segue, but here it's even tighter) abd there are a couple of places where the mix sounds different (more bass, or clearer BV's-, like Yoko is very clear on "Birthday"- Those may be a product of the mastering). In any case, glad to own this.

john lennonist and Archtop like this.
  22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Depends on what stampers were used. Years ago, I bought a 1983 US pressing and it sounded no better than on one of the US Apple copies that I used to own.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  23. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I was 16 but had the same issue with my Silvertone and MC5 Kick Out the Jams was even worse.Peace.

bosto likes this.
  24. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

You mean the Trump commemorative edition, correct?

john lennonist, mikeyt and Cooks420 like this.
  25. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

sadly first issue UK yellow subs have the sold in UK text on them too, its possible that your black inner is correct but it is unusual to see that in a no siuk copy and it may be a swap.

EMI ceased using the sold in UK text around aug/sept 1969, the Give Peace a chance 45 is bang on the crossover, most copies do not have the sold in UK text but some very early copies do, That's the way god planned it by Billy preston is the same, a few copies do have the siuk text most do not.

However although the general rule of aug/sept 69 is true there are some oddities, EMI would use up old label stock and many labels were pre-printed with the basic common info and they would overprint the specific album info on top.

As such there are extreme exceptions, 1 box emi columbia labels with the sold in UK text can be found on albums released as late as dec 69 and EMI pressed MGM labels never lost the SIUK text until they moved to UK polydor in early 1971 ( in fact even early polydor pressings have it which is totally wrong, they may have taken some of the emi blanks to use up or maybe the polydor type setter got a bit over enthusiastic !! )

EasterEverywhere likes this.