Beatles - "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?" - Yeah, why don't we!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I agree. I wish I hadn't heard the complete Can You Take Me Back on bootleg. It sort of makes it sounds less creepy. The Suicide bit after Glasses on the first McCartney album is just as brilliant.

That is a wonderful way to look at it. Great observation. Yeah, Good Night is otherworldly after the chaos of Revolution 9.

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Excellent policy, and words to live by, Glenn. I'm guilty too often of multi-tasking, such as posting here and listening. :shake: Perhaps my New Years' resolution should be to sit down in front of the hifi and listen to at least one beloved album a week, all the way through, and involve myself completely. Otherwise, why do I have $5k worth of CD deck/amp/speakers??

3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

One of the most brilliant Beatles album-closers; it gently puts you back safely into the everyday world, after all the surrealism and anarchy which came just before.

4. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

yes, the segment of CYTMB on the WA is one of the creepiest small bits of music I have ever heard, especially coming right after Cry Baby Cry which itself is very sinister sounding.

But placing "Good Night" right after "Revolution 9" is sequencing briliance. Lennon owns the end of the White Album, and placing these two tracks together gives him the most powerful album closing in history -- yes even better than the closing of Abbey Road. It was after listening to LP 2 of the White Album for the first time in the winter of '68 that I *knew* the Beatles were the greatest band of all time. By the end of Side 4, I was completely drained. Nothing has ever equalled that moment for me, musically.

5. longjohn

longjohn New Member

If I've not been beaten to it, that's the late Rick Griffin who did that. He also did lots of those classic 60s concert posters, including the one used as the cover to the Hendrix Winterland set.

I love WDWDIITR, love it. It's one of Paul's screamingest vocals ever, and I have a weakness for Paul in throat-tearing mode. Plus the drums kick butt.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sorry, I just think it's a real stretch to believe that Prince decided to sing falsetto because he heard "Why Don't We Do It In the Road"...

7. il pleut

il pleut New Member

that would depend on how you feel about moles on necks, i suppose.

8. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

?? What happened to Cindy Crawford?

9. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

:agree:

10. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I decided to go with a more current reference as I have no idea what Cindy C looks like these days :laugh:

They can be cute provided they aren't too big :laugh:

11. auggiedoggie

auggiedoggie New Member

There I am sitting in our front living room back in '68 as a 14 year old, having just returned from purchasing the newly released White Album with from funds begged off my mother.

She was such a cool lady, always interested in what was current and what I was listening to at the time. As I recall, she eagerly slipped me the bucks to catch the next bus downtown to Newburys and acquire our copy.

Upon my return we retired to the front living room where we played one side after another on the household stereo console; while I reviewed the gatefold jacket and the four glossys she was taking in the insert with lyrics and montage of photos with amusement.

Then after chuckling thru "Rocky Racoon" and suffering through "Don't Pass Me By", along comes McCartney's piano pounding and his soul/blues drenched vocal "Why don't we do it in the road".

I admit to this day I was embarraressed. Here I am still a virgin at the age of 14 and my heroes since the '64 Ed Sullivan show are singing in the presence of my mother about doing it in the road. It seemed immediately clear to the both of us what he was implying - and yet I apparently was the only one in that room that had a problem with the lyrics.
    If you've read this far, I'm sure you've drawn your own lessons from a similar experience. I came away from that night recognizing that our 'heroes' are flawed, and like the rest of us mortals, they're worthy of our attention when they are at there best, and worthy of our oversight when they are less than stellar.

12. auggiedoggie

auggiedoggie New Member

That is very insightful. You are absolutely correct, and I've held those feelings myself for decades but have failed to put them into comprehensible words.:edthumbs:

well put!

13. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Don't be sorry. I never insinuated that Prince decided to sing Falsetto when he heard that song from the Beatles. That's your spin. Not mine. A real stretch for sure.

Just pointing out Paul's innovative use of the Falsetto, among many other innovative Beatle moments......... I've mentioned that particualar falsetto, and how 'Prince Like' it is, on previous occasions at this forum. Others have agreed.

14. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Man, surprised Do It in the Road is getting any flack. As a kid having that song on a rock album I was allowed to listen to was like a sex scene in a TV movie. So daring. We loved it!

15. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

Please, stop you're kil-ling meeeee....

I'm melting, I'm melting, cruel world, cruel world....

I must keep telling myself, "I love The Beatles, I love The Beatles, every single song, every single recording, every single utterance,..."

I can't believe I just read this entire thread. There's a prize at the end, eh?

16. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I don't know about moles on necks, but they ruined my neighbour's lawn.

17. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Clearly you are a young man in his prime. Mentioning moles in the same breath as aging Cindy Crawford brings to anyone's mind who is in her age bracket and older the following sincere advise -, "you better get that mole looked at right away"

These thoughts don't occur to the young and healthy among us.

Stay forever young 'cause it can be scary after that.

And how the hell did this thread come down to sexy celebrity moles, anyway?
    Guess I missed something between pages 2 and 5.

18. deem

deem Forum Resident

Mole problems? Call Avogadro: 602-1023.

19. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

You had to be there...

my girlfriend and I loved The Beatles. ;)

20. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I had a somewhat similar experience, although I got the album for my 8th birthday; would've been '71. This to me was a "grown up" album, my first real serious adult album. (Kind of like those weird Jethro Tull or boxed Bangladesh or All Things Must Pass boxes; these were expensive albums that I couldn't normally afford). Anyway, mom heard "Why Don't We Do It..." and we discussed it, discussed what the song meant. I think she thought it was sex, but I told her it never says sex; it could mean ANYTHING. I specifically remember telling her he could be talking about playing baseball in the road! At any rate, my folks let me keep the record, and this is a conversation that I have had since (with other folks, not just my parents!) and this sharing has led to a great appreciation for satire and controversial art.

And mom was pretty cool for listening to an eight-year-old!

21. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

More like the Little Richard thing 10 years after Little Richard did it. :agree:

22. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

They also cause consternation at the CIA.

23. I'll take all that complication over the mental image of a bunch of people out there "doing it in the road." Consideration for others is generally a good thing.

24. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Paul did his own thing with the Falsetto by the late 60s. Doesn't sound like Little Richard that much anymore in this song, and it inspired a few later singers.

John definately put his stamp on the Falsetto too throughout his career. I actually prefer his to Paul's.

25. 905

905 Senior Member

Wild Honey Pie, also...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.