Beck - "Colors", new album in October 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Not a big fan of the album, but it might be because the digital mastering is absolutely horrible. I haven't heard an album this compressed sounding in awhile.

CrimsonPiper and Mlle. Aurora like this.
  2. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

You should give Blondie's Pollinator a spin on CD/download: I was listening to that yesterday and twice I had to turn down the volume and still had a headache by the end of it :(

Mlle. Aurora likes this.
  3. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I love this. I have the red vinyl 45RPM version and to put it succinctly, it rocks. The production reminds me of the way a lot of R&B and hip hop albums are produced and while it sounds (somewhat) digital, there is "space" in the sound: it's not two-dimensional or flat and doesn't have that "trapped between two panes of glass" sound lesser digital does. It helps to turn it up to 11.

4. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

...or much stereo separation. Check out Mutations after listening to this and after a few notes it will leave you shaking your head in disbelief :( ...but not as bad as Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal, that recording is nearly mono. I do like the music however so I just lower my SQ expectations, even with the Parquet Courts release.

5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The early mix of Up All Night from the FIFA game has plenty of stereo separation. I guess mono is coming back into style.

6. jpgettes

jpgettes Senior Member

Yup

7. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

My red copy arrived today (pressed at Pallas for USA), sounds ok but did notice quite a bit of IGD on the last song on side A.

8. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Oh man...wow. That's uh, hard to watch. lol...I think he's just a bit rusty.

He'll be back to this in no time:

9. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

That was over 20 years ago. I highly doubt 47-year old Beck is gonna be reaching 27-year old Beck heights any time soon. Especially after that spinal injury from '05 that almost killed his touring career completely.

I was looking forward to mellow, acoustic Beck taking over after Morning Phase. That would have been a perfect next stage for his career. Elder statesman of the Alternative Nation, taking it easy and creating lush music for a fanbase who's aging along with him. Instead, we get this blatant grab at top 40 airplay. All glossy surface and no depth.

St. Vincent took modern pop conventions and twisted them into something uniquely her own. Beck got swallowed whole, to the point that I wouldn't know it was him if his name weren't on the label.

driverdrummer and GentleSenator like this.
  10. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I'm sorry, I forgot this was the Steve Hoffman Nothing But Positive Opinions Allowed Forum.

mpayan and deadcoldfish like this.
  11. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

I was cleaning my 45 rpm Beck Colors before playing it and noticed the end of side B had what looked like miss formed grooves. I tried to play it and of course the stylus skipped.

Back to amazon.ca that one goes, replacement is on the way. So, it will be a bit more time until I post my opinions. A side from not hearing it yet, I think any new Album put out by Beck is much welcomed by me.

12. Nothing wrong with negative opinions and dissention, it's a sign of a healthy debate. If anything we need more of it. I've enjoyed ruffling a few complacent feathers myself in my time here. It's usually better if you can muster an argument as to why you think it's rubbish. Your post just came across as mean-spirited. Just give me a little bit more to chew on. :cool:

13. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

I was mostly referring to the level of confidence he had and control over the crowd. I don't expect him to be doing the splits anytime soon, but I'm sure he could still dance. Hell, he looks like he's still 27 anyway. Dude doesn't age. (Special Scientology beverages?)

I watched a live performance of Dreams, and it was the same awkwardness he showed on the Ellen show. Almost as if his body language is saying, "Should I even be doing this?" I don't know, it's quite possible even he is feeling some ambivalence about this new record. Has his artistic integrity been spread too thin here? And I have to say, something bad is happening with me and this album....with each successive listen I'm liking the record less and less. It's starting to sound like a damn Taylor Swift album. Some real cringeworthy moments. I don't think it's going to have very good longevity.

The sound of it and the mix are really bugging me. I hate the overly processed drum sounds. And all of the guitar parts have this weird hollowed out sound, I think they've been over EQ-ed. Sounds like they notched out way too much of what was perceived as harsh midrange, but in doing so, they removed all of the bite of the guitar.

Starting to fear that some of the other posters were right about this being a cash grab and an effort to be featured on a lot of commercials.

jumpinjulian and driverdrummer like this.
  14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

15. FrixFrixFrix

A lot of that can probably be attributed to that back injury I mentioned. He's gone on record saying it was pretty serious and totally changed his life. It's improved over time, but even when seeing him as recently as 2012, he was almost immobile onstage. Imagine it's hard to dance/perform like you used to with something like that holding you back (no pun intended).

Starting? Hell, that's the thesis statement of the entire record.

jamesc likes this.
  16. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Bought the album, love Beck and was all ready to jump into the thread and defend this album in the "he always does something new and different and wow this is cool"...but it's just kind of a boring, no edge, pop album :-(

17. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Good old weird Beck Hansen will be back.

Don't worry.

Let him play pop star for a year or two.

He'll be back.

driverdrummer likes this.
  18. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

After my initial negative comments and sadness that the great mans creative juices had run dry on this latest offering, its kind of growing on me!

3 plays in and now, and also much air time here in the U.K. I’m taking it for what it is a pop record. Do I generally dig mainstream pop? Generally a big no.

Like many have previously stated, it’s another twist in Becks ability and choice to throw something new into the mix. I’m sure it won’t be the last time he’ll surprise us all, and for that reason I respect the guy for not playing it safe!! Well done Mr Hansen.

Squad 701, pablorkcz and Clonesteak like this.
  19. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

I don’t care if Beck should be dancing!!! I will!!!! When no one is looking .

gregorya likes this.
  20. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Is that a pan flute in the main riff of the title track? It's neat to hear that incorporated into a high energy song. "Seventh Heaven" sounds a like it has some Phoenix influence to me.

I wonder how much of that is colored by the live performance of "Dreams" with Taylor Swift and St Vincent. Did Taylor send them both in a more commercial direction?

Yes, this album is different and less Beck-like than probably any of his others. But I'm enjoying it and am glad to have it. You can be sure his next album will be different yet again.

Is it too early to ask for a Mo-Fi version of Colors?

21. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

When Mutations, Midnight Vultures, and Odelay have not been given the treatment... yes... yes it is too early.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  22. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

23. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

That's true, there's a lot to get to in his catalog.

At least we have the promo version of Mutations that has improved sound though.

Squad 701, Laservampire and lucan_g like this.
  24. FrixFrixFrix

He's pretty late to the party on that one

nitsuj and GentleSenator like this.
  25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Im holding out hope for the Mutations vinyl next week...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.