Bee Gees' "Timeless: The All-Time Greatest Hits" to be released April 21

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbone828, Apr 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

For my last Bee Gees comp, I'm thinking of combining their post RSO work into one comp. instead of making comps for each label. What do you think about this idea?

Here's a start with some singles of the top of my head.

Bee Gees WB/Polydor

You Win Again (4:01)
    E.S.P. (4:52)
    Ordinary Lives (4:01)
    One (4:15)
    Bodyguard (4:20)
    Secret Love (3:39)
    When He's Gone (4:06)
    The Only Love (5:32)

Paying The Price Of Love (4:12)
    For Whom The Bell Tolls (3:56)
    How To Fall In Love, Part 1 (4:10)
    Alone (4:20)
    I Could Not Love You More (3:43)
    Still Waters (Run Deep) (4:08)
    Immortality (w/ Celion Dion) (4:11)
    This Is Where I Came In (4:56)

Darryl

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Hep Alien and granata like this.
  2. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Finished my last Bee Gees comp. I combined their WB & Polydor years onto a 2CD comp. Bringing the total count to 8 CDs.

Bee Gees - In The Fortress Of The Broad Daylight (The WB/Polydor Years)

Disc 1

You Win Again (4:01)
    E.S.P. (4:52)
    Ordinary Lives (4:01)
    One (4:15)
    Bodyguard (4:20)
    Wish You Were Here (4:44)
    Secret Love (3:39)
    When He's Gone (4:06)
    The Only Love (5:32)
    Happy Ever After (6:15)

Disc 2

Dimensions (5:25)
    Paying The Price Of Love (4:12)
    For Whom The Bell Tolls (3:56)
    How To Fall In Love, Part 1 (4:10)
    Alone (4:20)
    I Could Not Love You More (3:43)
    Still Waters (Run Deep) (4:08)
    Closer Than Close (4:34)
    Immortality (w/ Celine Dion) (4:11)
    This Is Where I Came In (4:56)
    She Keeps On Coming (3:57)
    Man In The Middle (4:21)

Darryl

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Hep Alien and granata like this.
  3. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

OH MY GOD, STOP.

JUST

STOP.

4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

It worked - I checked yesterday and Bee Gees had two albums in top 10 of iTunes downloads.

@Cloudbuster posted yesterday on another thread how well they were doing on Amazon, including preorders of Timeless comp.

5. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I was in a Walmart the other day and they already had the Polydor/Universal Bee Gees Number Ones CD and the Capitol/UMe The Ultimate Bee Gees 2CD. Number Ones has the original white front cover and the original track-list I believe, and Ultimate has the exact same track-list as the Reprise version, so it probably uses the WB/Reprise audio.

6. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

this comp needed a clean version of this Barry Gibb composition, even though its status as a Bee Gees tune can be debated.

JeffMo and raphph like this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Long time fans are simply tired of seeing the same old comps come out repeatedly. It's almost a joke at this point and it's not like fans don't already own all the big hits.

8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

A new label, a new Hits collection. This marketing policy is as old as the music business itself. New comps are almost never released for "long-time fans" but for newbies who may be in line for the inevitable re-release of core albums down the road. And everyone of us can come up with substitute tracks, missing hits and favorite deep tracks, but that's not what this collection is aiming for. Jam pack a single CD with well-known hits, sell it for $12 or so and see how well it does. This is the type release that could sell decently and have a long shelf span too. Most of their other Hit collections are out-of-print or are multi-sets. I think this one strikes a pretty good balance. Hopefully it sounds nice. Ron

9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I just ordered a 101 cd boxed set with some of Herbert Karajans finest recordings. That s the way to compile things. 1 CD ain t much. However if one ask some people even 1 CD with the Bee Gees might be considered to much:)

RoyalScam likes this.
  10. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I hope this is not the case. I'm a big Bee Gees fan, and I would buy their whole catalog if released as a complete box set (despite the fact that I already have most of it on CD and all of it on vinyl), or if they continue to reissue their output in the fashion of the first 4 albums or whatever, but I would never buy another Bee Gees compilation. Recently one can chose between the following compilations: "The Ultimate Bee Gees" 2CD, "Mythology" 4CD, "Bee Gees Number ones" 1CD, "Bee Gees Greatest" 1 and 2CD versions, "Best of Bee Gees" Vol.1 and Vol.2, "Bee Gees Love Songs"...all in print and easily available for about the same price (or cheaper) as the new one, and most of them having the same track listing. I really don't get the point of this release.

Jrr likes this.
  11. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

40 years later and that is still one of the most bizarre videos I have ever seen....

*Zod* likes this.
  12. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I am right there with you that the world does not need another Bee Gees compilation. But it wouldn't surprise me if the label is being "bearish" about what they want to do with the catalog. I think the music of the Bee Gees is utterly brilliant, and I would love nothing more than a comprehensive reissue program, like the one the first four albums got. But the label is in this to make money, and it wouldn't surprise me if they just didn't get very adventurous with reissuing the catalog.

Jarleboy and delmonaco like this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I know I've mentioned this before, but as a huge fan I still have to admit there would be very little market for the vast majority of their albums. If they would sell, they would be out there (well, as with the many comps, they are). The only way this works, maybe, for Capital is to issue two volumes, the beginning to around 1972, and then another volume of everything else. If on vinyl I really think they will sell; not sure how a CD set would do. But you look at the really questionable vinyl reissue box sets and that seems to point to my idea making some sense. Although big fans probably already have the beautiful vinyl box of their first three albums. I'm not even a big fan of their early output and I bought it. Rhino did an impeccable job.

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I was thinking of making my own custom version of Timeless - but mine would be a 320kbps MP3 cd for my car so that I could fit about 100 of my favorites!

ARK likes this.
  15. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I just wonder how they would make money with this, when there are so many Bee Gees comps in print covering the same material and more (the 2CD "Ultimate" comp can be found even cheaper than this new one, and the 4CD "Mythology is just few dollars/euro more). But my main concern is that if they would use the sales of the new comp as an indicator how successful a serious reissue campaign can be, they are on the wrong path.

Jrr likes this.
  16. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Hey, when did record companies ever do anything the right way?

ARK likes this.
  17. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

I bet they did pretty well this week.

JeffMo likes this.
  18. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I don't know if it's the labels or the Bee Gees to blame (or both?), but it seems that the attitude regarding the Bee Gees catalog is "if we can't make a million, we wouldn't bother to release". This approach can be understood if a release/reissue is held for some period, waiting for the right moment bigger sales to be achieved (like fancy anniversary edition of a very popular and important LP etc.), but speaking about the original Bee Gees albums - there will never be a moment in the future where "Trafalgar", or "Living Eyes", or "Life in a tin can", or a comprehensive box set would sell huge quantities or to chart. But they still will sell, and there will be a profit, even if not a huge one. And if reissued, these original albums wouldn't hurt the sales of the "best of" compilations, so the label can continue to issue more and more of them, because the target audience is different. I really don't understand why many of the Bee Gees original albums have to be kept out of print - even straight reissues of the original CD's would be fine - they are mostly very well mastered. Well, let's hope that the new label will do something good about it.

19. I see that one of my favorites is missing, "First Of May".

tages likes this.
  20. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Is the Bee Gees 'Number Ones' the best overall compilation?

21. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Update: I got the "Mythology" box set (reformatted).

siveld and JeffMo like this.
  22. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

I'd recommend The Record or Ultimate although the former is rather LOUD.

hifisoup likes this.
  23. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Spicks and Specks was featured in a Walking Dead episode last year.

ARK and PTgraphics like this.
  24. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have this in the original long box but it's still sealed. I need to listen to it one of these days.

Pat

JeffMo likes this.
  25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I was curious so I looked at the new release section at Newbury Comics today during RSD. It wasn't there but one slot was empty in the end cap, and I'm guessing this store sold out the copies they received of Timeless.

Did anyone pick it up? I'm curious about the SQ and mastering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.