Beethoven's Classic 9th manuscipt going for sale...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sckott, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid=34&in=entertainment&cat=art_and_museums

Beethoven Symphony Manuscript For Sale
    Tue Apr 8, 3:59 PM ET

By JACK GARLAND, Associated Press Writer

LONDON - Beethoven's final manuscript of the Ninth Symphony, marked with the composer's revisions and insults to the copyist who produced it, could fetch up to $4.6 million at a sale in London next month.

"This is one of the greatest works ever written by man, and it isn't likely there will be another complete Beethoven manuscript up for sale ever again; the rest are lost or in libraries," Stephen Roe, Sotheby's head of manuscripts, said Tuesday.

The owner, described only as a "private foundation," is planning to set up a charitable fund for musicians with the money, Roe said.

The estimate for the May 22 sale may be conservative. A single sheet of Beethoven's early draft of the opening of the Ninth Symphony sold last year for $2 million, eight times more than the estimated price.

That sheet was written in the composer's hand, but the Ninth Symphony manuscript was made by a copyist. However, almost every one of the 575 pages has notes and revisions scrawled by Beethoven, Roe said in a telephone interview.

The notes and revisions range from minor adjustments to the tempo and rhythm of the symphony to entirely new sections pasted over previous work. These hidden pieces of music have never been published.

Beethoven was most vitriolic in the final choral passage section of the symphony, extolling freedom and the brotherhood of man. At one point he scribbled to the copyist, "du verfluchter Kerl!" ("you damned fool!")

The Ninth Symphony was first performed in Vienna in 1824 — Beethoven had been deaf for at least eight years. It was met with wild acclaim, but failed to solve the composer's financial problems. Beethoven died three years later at the age of 57.

The record for a music manuscript is $4 million paid for a collection of Mozart symphonies sold at Sotheby's in 1987, Roe said.

On the Net:

http://www.sothebys.com/

2. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

WOW, wouldn't that be something to own! Definitely one of the greatest pieces of music ever written. Guess I'll have to sell the house, wife and kids, all my other relatives, and rob a bank:)

Jeff

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I like the part where Beethoven writes to the copyist "you damned fool!".:laugh: Must have been a joy to work with.

What a genius, certainly some of the greatest pieces of music of all mankind. I would love to own it. Aaah to be a carefree billionaire.

Nice to see that the money will go to a very worthy cause too. :thumbsup:

Dan C

4. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Jeff - just rob a bigger bank :D :laugh:

I could see this going for an eight figure sum. Now where did I leave that billion dollar note :)

All the best - Andrew

5. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Okay, I'm starting a pool to buy this thing. Who wants in?:D

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'll wait for the remaster with the hidden extra passages :D

7. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

I'm definitely in!! I can contribute around $55, I think we need to do some intensive fundraising:p

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.