Beirut - Gallipoli, new album 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Porkpie, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Beirut have announced a new album, Gallipoli and the title track is streaming. Hopefully it’s a return to form after the last album that, IMO, was a bit too watered down (although had some great songs)

Beirut Announce Tour, Release "Gallipoli"

Krzych likes this.
  2. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I absolutely love the new track. Everything that was missing from “No No No”.

saturdayboy and Porkpie like this.
  3. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

I think he was having a hard time personally during the time of No No No recording, maybe that was something that affected that album. I'm always interested on what he is doing, The Flying Club Cup and The Ripe Tide are amazing.

Leonthepro and Porkpie like this.
  4. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

5. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

New track sounds like a return to form

Porkpie likes this.
  6. Porkpie

Anyone else pick this up? I’m listening to it now for the first time. Overall the sound is great; only the “singles” are jumping out at me as I’ve heard them a lot on 6Music but I’m sure with repeated listens the individual tracks will stand out.

7. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

anyone picked up the colored vinyl and can comment on the pressing quality?

8. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I picked up a copy of the black vinyl. I try to avoid the limited edition colored stuff when possible. Very happy with my copy. Flat and quiet.

Still trying to get into the album though.

Porkpie and Krzych like this.
  9. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

Having seen Beirut's magnificent live show last week, I picked up Gallipoli after watching the band perform most of it live - it was incredible in concert (as is typical for Beirut), and I'm liking the new album quite a lot as a consequence. The sound quality is only average though - something about his voice just seems a bit off compared to the fullness it has live.

If you have a chance to see them, do! Their recorded albums just don't do justice to the experience of watching the 3 horns going...and feeling just how incredible a talent Zach Condon is, especially when he blows his trumpet.

Admerr, Porkpie and Krzych like this.
  10. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I completely missed this release... I have just ordered the black vinyl for 8€.

11. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Heard some songs, but I dont think I like it enough.

12. Porkpie

Admerr likes this.
  13. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Good on them for the repress. I have all three but noticed prices on the rip tide are a bit nuts these days. Great to see people will get another shot for a fair price. The new Flying Club Cup art is interesting.

Hopefully we see a Zapotec repress soon. That’s the hole in my collection and prices on that are starting to get bad.

Porkpie likes this.
  14. Leonthepro

Nice. Seems like it aims to make the albums more available. But Ill wait until they come out so I can see who mastered and pressed. With some hope they produce it better than the originals.

Krzych likes this.
  15. Porkpie

Was the original Rip Tide not a great pressing? I only have it on CD

16. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I actually think mine is very good for modern indie releases. Just played it over the weekend. Flat and quiet. No complaints. Not sure if they’re tweaking the mastering but I’m definitely curious.

Note- I always avoid the color/splatter/clear gimmicky limited edition indie preorder garbage. My pressing of The Rip Tide is the standard black vinyl with the cloth-like jacket.

Porkpie likes this.
  17. Leonthepro

There were two, one by GOLDEN and one cut by MK from Optimal. I have the MK and its decent but not great. Wanted to get the Golden since long now but havnt had the chance. Ill wait and see if someone better works on these reissues.

Porkpie likes this.
  18. Porkpie

I always avoid coloured or patterned vinyl too. Having said that, I have red vinyl pressings of Jenny Lewis & Tom Waits albums (both cut by Chris Bellman) and they’re all great, quiet pressings.

19. Porkpie

I’m listening to Gallipoli on vinyl now (black, was there a coloured one?) and it’s an excellent pressing. The more I play it the more I love this record. I remember on first listen none of the songs sounded that distinct from one another but now as the months have gone on I’ve really got to know it. It’s my joint favourite with Rip Tide. The album inbetween, whilst I liked the songs on the radio, seemed like a Beirut album that Beirut forgot to show up for and consequently I never bought that one.

20. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Interesting. I didn’t realize there were two cuts. I checked Discogs and it appears the clear variants were MK and standard black US release are GOLDEN.

I just got home and checked mine and it works out. My copy is the GOLDEN cut.

21. Leonthepro

Have the reissues already dropped or just on pre order? Some seem to be selling it already.

22. Leonthepro

Its confirmed to be in stock by some retailers, but it says End of August for release date on Beiruts store...

23. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Just received notification that Beirut's entire tour was canceled and tickets have been refunded. Zach was diagnosed with acute laryngitis and is unable to tour the rest of the year.

Bummer but understandable.

24. Leonthepro

Anyone with the reissues yet?

zombiemodernist likes this.
  25. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Funny they got a new cover for the sophomore LP. As a designer, I really noticed how horrible the typography and design of the FCC was. It's the only Beirut album not touched by Seen Studio (who did the other covers), and I'm not surprised they cooked something up that was better than a half-assed riff on the Gulag cover.

I saw the colored variants of these reissues in Newbury the other day and they looked nice but I really have no need for additional copies. According to Discogs (which I always take with a grain of salt) they use the same metal parts cut at GOLDEN. These all sound good to my ears, although The Rip Tide has a bit more surface noise than the prior two. Not as bad as the recent Gallipoli which I should have returned.

I'm surprised they didn't also reissue the Lon Gisland EP. That one has gotten quite expensive and I didn't have a copy for a long time. I got lucky this weekend and found it for $17, which I think was higher than MSRP but better than the $50 on Discogs.

Leonthepro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.