Belinda Carlisle "Heaven on Earth: 30th Anniversary Edition" 4LP+CD (w/3 new songs) (09/27/2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

This September, Demon Music will issue a five-disc, 30th anniversary vinyl box set of Belinda Carlisle‘s 1987 album Heaven on Earth, with 500 copies available with a SIGNED PRINT, for those quick off the mark.

Heaven On Earth was Belinda’s second solo album after leaving The Go-Gos and features her transatlantic number one single Heaven Is A Place On Earth and other hits, such as I Get Weak and Circle In The Sand.

This new anniversary edition is a four-LP + CD set and comes packaged in a lift-off lid box. The four records come in individual LP sleeves and inner bags. The first features the original album, the second presents seven-inch versions of the singles, plus five 45s performed live on Belinda’s 1988 tour. LPs three and four feature various 12-inch single remixes.

The CD repeats the original album, but adds three brand new recordings, one of which is an acoustic rendition of Heaven Is A Place On Earth (which will also feature on Belinda’s new album, Wilder Shores). The other news songs are Why (co-written with fellow Go-Go Charlotte Caffey) and a version of Leon Russell’s Superstar (best known from The Carpenters 1971 rendition).

This set includes a booklet with notes, lyrics and photos from Belinda’s own collection. There are two versions up for pre-order on Amazon UK, an exclusive edition with the SIGNED PRINT (limited to just 500 sets), and the standard non-limited edition. There is no premium, if you opt for the signed version!

Heaven On Earth 30th anniversary 4LP+CD box set will be issued on 29 September 2017.
    Update: In less than a day, the 500 with a signed print have sold out. The standard edition (without the print) is now the only option available.

LP 1

HEAVEN ON EARTH

SIDE A

• 1. Heaven Is A Place On Earth
    • 2. Circle In The Sand
    • 3. I Feel Free
    • 4. Should I Let You In?
    • 5. World Without You
    SIDE B

• 1. I Get Weak
    • 2. We Can Change
    • 3. Fool For Love
    • 4. Nobody Owns Me
    • 5. Love Never Dies
    LP 2

SIDE A

THE SINGLE VERSIONS

• 1. Heaven Is A Place On Earth [promo 7” edit]
    • 2. I Get Weak [7”]
    • 3. Circle In The Sand [7”]
    • 4. World Without You [7” remix]
    • 5. I Feel Free [7”]
    • 6. Love Never Dies [7”]
    SIDE B

THE SINGLES LIVE

• 1. I Feel Free
    • 2. I Get Weak
    • 3. Circle In The Sand
    • 4. World Without You
    • 5. Heaven Is A Place On Earth
    LP 3

THE REMIXES

SIDE A

• 1. Heaven Is A Place On Earth [Heavenly Version]
    • 2. I Feel Free [Extended Version]
    • 3. Circle In The Sand [Beach Party Mix]
    SIDE B

• 1. World Without You [Extended Worldwide Mix]
    • 2. I Get Weak [12” Version]
    • 3. Heaven Is A Place On Earth [Down To Earth Dub]
    LP 4

SIDE A

• 1. Circle In The Sand [Seaside Mood Groove Mix]
    • 2. World Without You [Panavision Mix]
    • 3. Circle In The Sand [Sandblast Multi-Mix]
    SIDE B

• 1. I Get Weak [Romantic Mix]
    • 2. I Feel Free [Dub Version]
    • 3. Heaven Is A Place On Earth [Acappella]
    CD

HEAVEN ON EARTH

• 1. Heaven Is A Place On Earth
    • 2. Circle In The Sand
    • 3. I Feel Free
    • 4. Should I Let You In?
    • 5. World Without You
    • 6. I Get Weak
    • 7. We Can Change
    • 8. Fool For Love
    • 9. Nobody Owns Me
    • 10. Love Never Dies
    BONUS NEW 2017 RECORDINGS

• 11. Heaven Is A Place On Earth [acoustic version]
    • 12. Why
    • 13. Superstar

2. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Cool. Thanks. Will keep an eye on this. One of my favorite summer albums.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Heaven On Earth must be one of the most reissued albums of the last 30 years. Unless you're a big vinyl fan (I'm not) I'd say stick with any of the other versions. The original 1987 CD sounding the best IMO.

4. pghmusiclover

Yes indeed, it's been reissued quite a bit.

I am a vinyl fan, but I'm annoyed that the CD includes the 3 new songs, which then aren't included anywhere on the vinyl! Jeez, guys, why not include a bonus 7" single with them?

5. Bobby Morrow

I suppose they wanted to give CD buyers an incentive to pick up the package..

Silly not to include it on the vinyl... It's not like there isn't room!

6. pghmusiclover

I guess they need to have something for the 35th Anniversary Edition :winkgrin:

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Well, yes. Plus Belinda's reissues are on the Demon label in the U.K. and they really know how to milk a product.

Jimmy Agates and pghmusiclover like this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Usually the albums that get these super deluxe versions are albums of lasting significance... This album... Well it's fine... but...

bluemooze, Purple and agentalbert like this.
  9. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

A copy of this LP has been sitting in the bins at my local used record store for months. Maybe I'll pick it up, can't go wrong for $2.50.

10. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I got the original LP in the bins for dirt cheap and was pleasantly surprised. It's not a bad record yet I don't see it requiring such a big boxset. Also, they could have just done two competently mastered CDs without loudness but I guess it wasn't a big enough price point.

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Good album and a hugely successful one in the UK. There's very little to this box though. The single versions are not essential and the originals are common as well as cheap. Live tracks? zzz... So few of them and more Belinda live stuff from this era has been previously released. The original Heaven on Earth LP is common too and sounds excellent.

There's so much vinyl in this box but none of it includes the new tracks. Surely they could have been on a 12" in the box. It's very cynical to include them here anyway as there is little else to this box and they have nothing to do with the Heaven on Earth era.

I know this isn't a culturally important landmark album, but it's a popular one that's never been deleted. Belinda has a lot of loyal fans and this to me is a blatent rip off, taking advantage of this.

The CD & DVD deluxe editions from a few years back were excellent and very affordable.

12. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Indeed and its probably a better album than a lot of stuff thats been issued in mega sets...just because it's not as hip doesn't make it any less worthy.

Man at C&A and pghmusiclover like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

It's a good album, and certainly her most hit laden. It's kind of her Like A Virgin or True Blue, though it came nowhere near them sales wise. I think Belinda's voice is an aquired taste. It's not what I'd call a great pop voice, especially when she's bellowing away at the front of the mix..

I'd say Runaway Horses is probably her best album though the hits weren't as big.

John Adam, mc7t and Man at C&A like this.
  14. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Even as a vinyl fan, I refuse to buy this album AGAIN! I have the original LP bought in 1987, the original CD that I bought in the early 90s, some reissue to celebrate the 20th or 25th and the Edsel deluxe edition from a couple of years ago. (The Edsel one was the best IMO). Enough! I cannot buy this one again.

Jimmy Agates and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

Exactly how I feel. I should have stuck with the original CD as it's the best sounding and I never play the extras on the deluxe editions!

jamiesjamies and Man at C&A like this.
  16. DesertHermit

I play the extended versions disc as I only had 'Heaven' and 'I Get Weak' on 12" vinyl and have played the DVD once. I think they're good editions though. The original CD always sounded good to me too, as did the LP. Damn them with their reissues tempting us every few years.

Hasn't Belinda's vault, so to speak, been mined for just about everything now? There was a huge box set and singles box set a while back...I find it hard to believe there is really much else out there. I liked her first three albums and bought the deluxe editions of all five...I don't know why, because the first three are the only ones I ever listen to!:help:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Live Your Life Be Free is a bit of a trial. A lot of overlong songs and Belinda in shouty, full-bleat mode...

It's amusing to watch her on the documentary of the deluxe edition as she clearly doesn't like the record herself and struggles to say anything positive about the songs.:D

DesertHermit likes this.
  18. DesertHermit

That's the one with 'Big Scary Animal' on it, isn't it? I remember when the single was released and thinking 'that is the worst song title I've heard since Samantha Fox's 'Hurt Me, Hurt Me (But The Pants Stay On)'!

jamiesjamies and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Big Scary Animal is from Real. Which is actually even worse!

And no one can beat Sam Fox for terrible/disgusting song titles, thank you very much.:)

Man at C&A and DesertHermit like this.
  20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Pretty good album. I like Circle in the Sand.

21. pghmusiclover

I love that album and think the title song is in my top 5 Belinda songs!

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

But at least she looks great on the cover...

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I do think it's worthy and the CD deluxe editions were superbly done, but no album or fan deserves this exploitation. This set has very little substance and to force fans into buying it for the few new songs, not even from the right era, is pure record company greed. Nothing new, but still disagreeable. Personally, I don't play this album much but do enjoy it. It's a great pop album with a lot of hits, but I'll be sticking with the common and fine sounding UK vinyl that I got very cheap.

I've just noticed that the dismal new acoustic version of Heaven Is A Place On Earth is one of the new recordings, so that's only two tracks that are genuinely worthwhile. IMO of course. I haven't seen the price yet, but it won't be cheap for less than 10 minutes of unheard songs, none of them on vinyl. One of those tracks is a cover too!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Jimmy Agates and DesertHermit like this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't buy very many deluxe editions anymore because of this. Queen will test me though if the rumoured News of the World deluxe appears later this year.

Demos, live tracks, work in progress, remixes, book, replica posters and general tat = No!

Live DVD, quality unreleased songs (which there probably isn't any), full concert on CD = Yes!

Putting something great in an oversized box padded out with loads of unnecessary cack and then charging a small fortune = An infuriated No! I'll never buy one of those kind of sets of any album.

Jimmy Agates and Bobby Morrow like this.
  25. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

I can't believe "You're nothing without me" was never a single.

The number of people who I've played that track to/have heard me playing it, is in the hundreds (thanks to working in a factory environment in the 90s/2000s) and everyone loved it.

Shak Cohen and Bobby Morrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.