Benefits of adding another amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wired4Fun, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident Thread Starter

I almost added another amp to my rig this weekend, but started to wonder if, given the space and the speakers, such an addition made any sense.

Now, I know the logical question is going to be, “what is missing that you feel needs improvement?”

The answer to that is nothing/I don’t know. However, if adding an amp is something that might add major gains, I am certain I would hear them. I know how that sounds, too :)

That said, I have heard the changes, for better or worse, with every change I have made so far. Some were huge (new cartridge) and others were minor, but I guess what I’m wondering is if the rig and room would benefit in any major way from two amps?

As my info shows, I’m running B&W 805 D3s with a McIntosh C47 and an MC 275. The idea would be to add another 275.

The room is 12x12, and acoustically treated.

A few folks locally told me I would hear the difference immediately, more power is never a bad thing, etc.

With that, I turn to you all for opinions and thoughts.

Stick with what I have because it sounds flawless to me, or get another amp?

And yes, I can certainly audition it, but I don’t want to go down that road if the initial opinions are it is altogether a waste.

Appreciate all of your thoughts and comments!

2. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Passive bi amping is not a cost effective upgrade and IME only yields minimal improvement.
    Just get a better amp.......or invest elsewhere in your system......maybe room treatment?

BTW.....Ever heard a good set of actives?

3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Sorry.......somehow missed that you have already treated your room.

Amazing how many people pour thousands into gear and leave the room untouched!!!

Of course not always practical!!!!

Why not have a listen to 802d's as well
    There's no law that says you HAVE TO keep everything....:)

4. harby

harby Forum Resident

Well, it is one way of doubling the power, although it doesn't exactly double the the power, because that bass drum hit or cymbal crash still only utilizes the amp dedicated to those frequencies.

The speaker's recommended power is 50W-120W, so the 75W mac is in that zone, and two 75W biamps don't really exceed the rating for the aforementioned reason.

However, these amps can be run mono bridged at 150W, which is what I'd do: turn them into two monoblocks.

Do you need it louder? You will get at most 3dB more volume for program material. You are guaranteed to get twice the room heating from another set of tubes though.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I used to have mono blocks, but I switched over to a stereo amp. Sure, I would like to add another amp but it would be expensive and I'm trying to simplify things.
    I believe there are some benefits. Two amps will drive speakers with more ease. Bass would probably improve.

6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Power corrupts, the more power the more corruption.
    Ever wonder why so many knowledgable audiophiles are using tiny amps ?

7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Figuring out how to do more with less power is the best thing I’ve learned on this forum.

jkull, MaxxMaxx4 and Tim 2 like this.
  8. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

The real issue is getting bass slam out of a low powered system.

MaxxMaxx4 and Dennis0675 like this.
  9. Wired4Fun

I appreciate your responses, thank you.

As a clarification, I am looking to understand IN GENERAL as well as given the limited info you have on my rig/room, what POTENTIAL exists once you add a second amp.

Could I expect more definition in low/mids/highs? Better soundstage? More detail? What are the general positive results one could expect from adding a second amp, and THEN, given my speakers and room, do you think I would experience any of those benefits?

Hope that helps, and thank you all for your feedback!

10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That is the trade off. For me it was a bit of an evolution of preference, I'm a bass enthusiast and losing that slam is something to get accustomed to but in the end it feels more natural and balanced to my ears. But..I still keep a system with a big amp and like to work out some aggression from time to time.

MaxxMaxx4 and Tim 2 like this.
  11. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

With the exception of by-amping speakers, I find a second amp worthless unless wanting a subwoofer amp. I am not sure if by-amping sounds better with high quality tube gear. If you do not have enough power, get a higher power amp or higher sensitivity speakers.

12. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Room treatment - could you do more in this area. If 'yes' that will surely represent a better investment.

If 'no', have you considered using electronic crossovers with a DEQX. I've not done this but people on here who have say it gives a good improvement after doing all the work that goes with it.

Have you considered anti vibration products - feet, racks, shelving? They are often expensive and the effects are subtle but special.

Same may apply to power regeneration.

Linger63 and Wired4Fun like this.
  13. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've found a different way of getting the best of both worlds.My latest Audio Research amps have that great small amp sound but with lots of power,don't ask about the cost though.

Tim 2, GyroSE and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

The B&W 800- series is in general power hungry, IMHO I think it's essential to have some extra Watts to get the best out of speakers from this series. More power adds more control over the low/mids/highs and better dynamics all over.

Wired4Fun, MaxxMaxx4 and Dennis0675 like this.
  15. MaxxMaxx4

But loses out every other way.

jkull, Tim 2, Wired4Fun and 1 other person like this.
  16. Wired4Fun

Not seeing any real clear direction one way or the other.

This leads me to believe I should just stick with what I’ve got.

I guess in order to make the leap, I was looking for some overwhelmingly positive support. The above is not that LOL.

Appreciate you all. Thank you. Thinking I’ll stick with what I’ve got. It sounds great. Don’t seem to be compelling reasons to do anything else :)

Tim 2 likes this.
  17. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Given the speakers that you have, I would not bother with a more powerful amp or another identical amp.
    Thinking that D3s are doing as well as can be with what you have.

If your room allows, the next upgrade should be speakers or subs to go with the D3s.

edit: just reviewed your OP. The D3s are plenty in a room that size.
    A couple of high quality 10" subs would be the ticket imo.

You didn't mention what genres of music you listen to.
    If your tastes are jazz and acoustic stuff maybe subs aren't a necessity.
    Electronica, Rock, Symphonic then yeah subs would fill out the room nicely

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

The cost of Reference Audio Research gear, I don't want to know.
    But you do have one of, if not the best system I've ever heard, cost be damned.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  19. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

Yes..

20. Wired4Fun

I have a sub. I have acoustic treatments. I love what I have, so no reason to change anything.

I was just wondering what the second amp might “offer” to the overall sound, and apparently the answer is not much, according to most of you.

I’ll stick with what I have :)

21. MaxxMaxx4

Thanks.

Tim 2 likes this.
  22. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Wired4fun,

Just remember.......
    It's not about the total number of watts.......It's also about the QUALITY of them!!!!

Why not audition another MC275 in your system anyway?
    You could also look at trying out an MC452 which would actually cost you less than running 2 x MC275's should you like it.

I think you are already in a good place and at the point where diminishing returns really kicks in.

If you have an itch try playing with cabling as IME some surprising gains can be had there.....or maybe some upgrades for your TT.

23. Wired4Fun

Thanks! Yeah, it’s diminishing returns for sure. That said, I was with two of the McIntosh gurus at an event this weekend and neither of them, despite preferring solid state, suggested the 452. They felt as though I wouldn’t be happy with the tonal sound difference despite the power uptick.

I have made my decision and am going to use the funds to support adding additional subs in my home theater :)

Thank you ALL for your feedback!

Linger63 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.