Bert Jansch on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by overdrivethree, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been big into Bert Jansch since discovering his work about 4 years ago. I have several albums of his on CD, which were tricky enough to track down (otherwise using Amazon). The one thing that has not changed in that time is that I have had ZERO success finding any original Jansch LPs.

Vinyl-wise, I do have the Santa Barbara Honeymoon reissue on Drag City, as well as the Heartbreak reissue from last year. Both are great records (I don't think you can really go wrong with any of his stuff), but original pressings from the '60s and '70s haven't crossed my path at all. I do have some Pentangle, but that's a different thing altogether.

I know Jansch never really broke big in America, so what was available were his records on Vanguard and Reprise, but those aren't floating around in giant quantities. Seems like the most common stuff are the UK Transatlantic and Charisma pressings, and those are definitely not in great abundance here in the States.

And if eBay is any indicator, all Jansch vinyl (particularly since his passing) goes for relatively astronomical amounts. Kind of approaching Nick Drake territory, in that regard.

Does anyone have any idea of a good way to track this stuff down without paying goofy eBay prices? I've never used Discogs for buying, so I don't know how that would work either. But is Jansch on original vinyl worth tracking down anyway, in terms of sound quality?

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Good luck. I've never seen an original Jansch lp in my area in the 5+ years I've been poking around the bins. Oddly Renbourn lps turn up fairly regularly :confused:

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The Black Swan is lovely on vinyl. Shouldn't be too expensive?

Alan2 likes this.
  4. overdrivethree

I was going to say the same about Renbourn's LPs...those turn up with some regularity. And I've bought and enjoyed a couple of them, although he gets a bit "renaissance faire" for my taste.

5. Love Black Swan only have it on CD. But this one is great too...

photo.JPG

Alan2 and aoxomoxoa like this.
  6. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

The original Jansch albums on the Transatlantic label sound excellent, but are pricey if in excellent or better condition. I have used discogs quite a bit and with no problems at all and you'll find them there but, as I say, they are not cheap when in good condition. However, I do find his remastered releases on cd (Castle label) to be very good in terms of sound quality.

Alan2 likes this.
  7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I found a couple of mint Transatlantics at a Long Island flea market about 20 years ago. I was all wrapped up in Jazz and Funk at the time and let them go. I often regret that now. They sounded great.

McLover likes this.
  8. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Being a long time Bert fan, I have several on vinyl purchased new but I never play them anymore.
    I would have no idea where to get original vinyl except to keep looking.
    If you ever see a copy of Rosemary Lane, get it.
    I have 2 vinyl and 2 cd versions.
    Reynardine is just indescribably sublime.
    IMNSHO, his finest hour.

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I would say to the OP, just don't give up looking. Every time you go to a music store or you're on line looking for new music, look for his too. That might sound simplistic but perseverance pays off. A few months ago I came upon his first lp on the Transatlantic label in near mint condition for $20. The clerk told me that he had another lp of his but it sold the day before. I think the one I got didn't go on the shelf until the day I bought it otherwise it would have been gone most likely as well. I don't know what title I missed but I'm stoked that I got the one. Renborn's music is much easier to find locally though I have yet to find a copy of L.A. Turnaround. I always check the bins for Renborn and Jansch lps. You never know when one might turn up.

10. glea

glea Forum Resident

I"ve got the Transatlantics and a fair number for later releases.. Those and my Davy Graham albums were some of the smart purchases I made in my younger years.

blackdograilroad likes this.
  11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I have an older greatest hits type album on vinyl- can't remember where I sourced it. There are several UK based vinyl vendors on line that are likely the best sources, although they typically charge a premium.

12. overdrivethree

Basically, if I tracked down Rosemary Lane on original vinyl, I'd be pretty satisfied.

That's an album I always suggest/pass on to folks when Nick Drake Pink Moon is being discussed. Similar vibe, different approach.

blackdograilroad and mickster like this.
  13. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I've found some of his titles on Reprise at local shops at fairly reasonable prices. I've bought a bunch of his albums on CD as well. The music is more important than the format. Some of those early titles are going to be very hard to track down on vinyl in decent shape at reasonable prices.

14. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Just have patience. It might take a few years to track down everything, but it's worth it. All his LPs sound incredible from my experience - sound and music quality.

How's the sound quality of the Heartbreak reissue? I have two different versions of it but I haven't heard the new one.

The jewel of my Bert Jansch collection would be the signed record I recently acquired!

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I bought them all (UK LPs) as they were released. It was a lonely existence, being a Bert fan in the USA in the 1960's.

Kept them mint too.

Alan2 and jkauff like this.
  16. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

i have this one, i found it in a second hand store, in good conditions:
    bert-jansch-sampler.jpg

aussievinyl and Alan2 like this.
  17. mickster

mickster Forum Resident

If you could only have one ....Rosemary Lane!

18. Harvest Your Thoughts

If I could only have one... sorry, that's not possible. I need them all!

19. I have 15 different Bert Jansch titles on LP and I'm on a patient mission to fill in some of the holes.

The first album, Moonshine and Rosemary Lane are long time favourites.

Great stuff! :righton:

Alan2 and MoonPool like this.
  20. Harvest Your Thoughts

What are you missing?

21. Gosh, a good half dozen or more.
    Poor Mouth, From The Ouside, Avocet, Sketches and 2 or 3 live releases.

What I have is the first 10 albums up to and including Santa Barbara Honeymoon,
    Conundrum (Thirteen down), A Rare Conundrum, Heartbreak, The Black Swan,
    and the Box of Love compilation with two previously unissued tracks.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  22. Harvest Your Thoughts

Poor Mouth is almost identical to A Rare Conundrum and was only released in extremely limited numbers, so pretty much collectors only. From The Outside released in tiny, though I have both versions of the CD which have a slightly different track list and it's definitely worth picking up. A very raw album with a similar sound to Bert Jansch (1965).

Sketches is a mixed bag, pretty much only for completists, but has a few different versions and some originals which went elsewhere from what I remember (or became reunion Pentangle songs? I'd have to check). Leather Lauderette is great, if you can find it. Despite coming out of a bad time this album is relaxed and enjoyable.

Avocet is one of the best: an essential, but not easy to come by. It's quite unique in his output, almost a companion piece to Bert and John as it's all instrumentals.

I could go on in more detail, but perhaps you knew all of this already!

I've thought many times about getting Box of Love for the extra tracks, just not sure if it's worth it.

Alan2 likes this.
  23. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Avocet is indeed one of his best. Only have it on cd. Even here in the Uk i rarely see his classic albums on vinyl. I saw Birthday Blues a few weeks ago but the vinyl had a few marks that looked like they'd sound so i passed on it. Pentangle are pretty easy to find on original vinyl here. I think i have them all now, even Solomon's Seal, and they sound great.

Alan2 likes this.
  24. overdrivethree

Oh yeah, so since starting this thread, I found a Vanguard of Bert and John Stepping Stones. It's in very clean shape and sounds absolutely amazing. (Found Sandy Denny's first two solo albums on LP that same day, as well.)

Will just keep at it. I scored John Martyn Solid Air for $5 at a local record fair after searching high and low for eons. So perseverance does indeed pay off.

Alan2 and Harvest Your Thoughts like this.
  25. Harvest Your Thoughts

If there were a single Bert Jansch LP that everyone should own (which is actually reasonably easy to come by and will still be in good condition and won't break the bank) it's this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.