Bert Jansch on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by overdrivethree, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Yet Bert is your avatar! Shame on you.

I have two different pressings of Rosemary Lane. ;)

2. Harvest Your Thoughts

Ah yes. It's simply the colourful one. I just found that one on the net. No idea how to attach photos myself.

There may have been some other sight variations depending on country of origin if I recall correctly...

3. Ronnie Lane

Ronnie Lane Member

I don't know. I've yet to see a self titled album with the banner on top of the label.

4. Harvest Your Thoughts

I've definitely seen one on ebay. My copy of the self titled EP also has the banner at the top and it would have been released after the self titled LP, hence they exist.

5. Ronnie Lane

Ronnie Lane Member

6. Ronnie Lane

Ronnie Lane Member

So someone is selling "Bert and John" on ebay and claims it's a 1st press. It has the "t" on the spindle hole.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BERT-JANSCH...688?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item541bc6edc0

However, I've seen copies with the globe on top of the label with "Transatlantic" spelled out. Could it just be from a batch of old labels? I know there was a label in between those 2 that was quickly replaced with the spindle hole "t". Does anyone own an early copy?

7. Harvest Your Thoughts

It's not a "first pressing" it's an "original (second) pressing". As you say, there are versions with the banner around, probably in very limited numbers.

I have a Japanese pressing which is beautiful. Probably a better option unless you lust the original. The Japanese pressing sounds great and if you find one it will likely be in better condition.

8. Ronnie Lane

Ronnie Lane Member

This was the seller's response:

"And was it really an earlier pressing? Or simply a batch of old labels? I mean - the covers only exist with the new logo, so clearly Transatlantic mean the LPs to be the same."

Here's an example of the banner on the record, but the "t" on the cover":

[​IMG]

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Ouch! I found a copy a year or so ago locally but I can't remember if my copy is mono or stereo. I do know I paid a lot less for my copy and it's in real good shape. Don't give up. It could happen to you too.

10. Harvest Your Thoughts

It sounds like the seller is just speculating. Perhaps the cover was changed during the first press, then it was repressed/recut later with the new label. Perhaps a mega-collector can step in here.

I think they first runs of these LPs were probably only small amounts in case they didn't sell well. 1000 copies? I don't know I'm just speculating here. Then they repressed them when the first run sold out. Bert and John was caught between the change over. That'd be my guess.

Is it possible to get the matrix numbers and so forth?

I have a copy of It Don't Bother Me which was first released before Bert and John, it has the old logo on the cover and the new logo on the LP label. Suggests at least that they don't bother changing covers when they change labels. Which doesn't help solve the conundrum.

11. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Oddly enough I found this sampler the other day, 5 bucks.
    Record is in great condition, looks barely played.
    The thin gloss jacket needed to be glued back together.
    Transatlantic, sounds excellent.

12. Ronnie Lane

Ronnie Lane Member

Weird, I just recently bought a copy of It Don't Bother Me and it has the old logo on the label and the cover.

13. Harvest Your Thoughts

It must be an earlier pressing than mine.

What do you still need to complete your collection?

14. Ronnie Lane

Ronnie Lane Member

Sadly it's the only one I got. I've got all of Pentangle's stuff (but the Reprise labels)

It's pretty spendy to get the UK records with the shipping costs and all.

The only UK records I own are Ronnie's Lane's Anymore for Anymore and Ronnie Lane, Fairport Convention's Liege and Lief, Bowie's Hunky Dory (laminated cover, but with the gem logo on back..think it's the 2nd pressing)..and now Bert's It Don't Bother Me.

Oh yeah, and the pride of my collection is a NM copy of the Small Faces' self titled record (the Immediate label one). I have it framed along with The Band's brown album (just because it's probably my favorite record) Maybe I'm missing a few more, but everything else is from the States.

15. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I've seen an original copy of Jack Orion but it was rather expensive.

16. Harvest Your Thoughts

It's a slippery slope as your collection grows, but it's a fun ride!

17. Ronnie Lane

Ronnie Lane Member

No doubt.

My wishlist for UK records:

All 3 of Nick Drake's records
    Fairport Convention's What We Did On Our Holidays and Unhalfbricking
    Lennon's Plastic Ono Band
    Bert Jansch's albums
    The rest of the Small Faces records
    Faces records

I may have to take out a loan to get it accomplished...my goodness.

18. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

FWIW the self titled BJ album is getting a Record Store Day release this year. It a bit annoying that there's little or no info about RSD vinyl as to mastering, sources etc. They could **** it up entirely, or it could go well.

I have some later Transatlantic LPs of BJ and they sound pretty good- Xtra imprint. Couple of Earmark reissues which are quiet but sound digitally sourced. Still have a sealed clear vinyl Hearbreak. :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  19. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Moonshine: wonderful album, rare to find on vinyl, unless there's been a reissue I don't know about.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  20. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Iirc it came out in 3 formats - it was on sale @ a gig I went to, but there's uncertaintly about this issue, I remember reading before.

21. Harvest Your Thoughts

Mastering info is on the website. :) It should be good.

I don't know if it's strictly speaking a RSD release. It's part of a set of reissues of his transatlantic albums.

22. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

"One abiding mystery about Leather Launderette is best laid to rest right here. The album sleeve notes mention a CD version, and even quote a serial number. However, I have it on the best possible authority, ie Rod himself, that no CD was ever released"

http://www.rodclements.com/rcbj.html

23. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Wow, well, I guess if we can believe Rod, there never was a CD. Too bad. On the other hand, I guess I don't need to occupy that tiny corner of my brain any more with remembering that I still need the CD version!

Leather Launderette is a really great album. If there has never been a CD version, how about now?! It would take me approximately 20 seconds after noting that it was available to buy it, exactly the time it took me to type the name into Amazon and hit the "buy" button!

24. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Good to hear this. It's on my list. :edthumbs:

It was on the RSD lists and I didn't look elsewhere. :oops:

25. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.