Best android tablet for USB DAC audio out for under $200?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wombat Reynolds, Jul 10, 2018 at 2:18 PM.

1. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

May sound strange but I bought a used Galaxy s6. Gave the connection required, and a backup mobile.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  2. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs. Thread Starter

I just bought the LG Pad X 8.0, as suggested by another person earlier in the thread.

The direct full size USB connection really interested me, and on the Neutron forum, another user said he was using this same tablet with "a DAC". That counted for something too... you never know how these tablets will or will not be able to correctly use your favorite app or USB thing.... a primary concern of mine for unknown brands and Amazon Fire tablets. Not saying they wouldnt work but enough evidence to suggest possibly not....

now lets hope the screen is good enough. There was an 8" samsung with an AMOLED screen but that was twice as much money.....

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Forum Resident

Nice! keep us updated.
    I was able to grab that Fire 7 for 40 bucks, installed Google Play on it, works fantastic as a Squeezebox Remote :) But of course I have every adapter on the planet except for a standard USB --> Micro. I'll have it Sunday to give it a whirl. I'll try using the Onkyo HF player app first.

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Forum Resident

Lenovo Tab v2 or v3. Excellent tablets. My wife and I have one each. Reasonably priced too and available in 10" screen.

5. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Just go to amazon, you will find tons of tablets with Android 6 or 7, or even 8 for well under 200. Don't know if they're "great" hardware-wise, but you said specifically software.

6. Brother_Rael

Great device. My wife has the S6 Edge and I use am S7. Brilliant for music too.

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I might be more selective with my Android products then some. Yes, you'll find tons of them. No, most won't get software updates. And hopefully I don't even need to get into why one should avoid the no-name Chinese brands.

It does seem that Samsung has revived the 8" $199 loss-leader tier reminiscent of the Nexus 7. I am interested to see how the OP's race to the bottom works out. He seems to be going for a single purpose appliance of sorts, so it should come down to the hardware support.

8. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

There's also brandname Chinese brands, like Xiaomi or Lenovo

9. Brother_Rael

Had my Lenovo for about three years now. Hard to fault it and it gets upgrades still yet. It's either Samsung or Lenovo.

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling Forum Resident

I can confirm the Amazon Fire tablet 7 will indeed pass audio through to an outboard DAC, an Emotiva DC-1 in this instance
    [​IMG]

cdgenarian likes this.