Best bang-for-the-buck interconnects?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Jan 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Looking to replace the interconnects I am currently using with some which are reputed for having great tone at reasonable prices. These would go between my DAC and phono preamp to my amp.

Since I admit to not having a deep well of knowledge in that area, I'm looking for suggestion which won't require me to miss mortgage payments, hence the title. ;)

2. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

You'll probably get dozens of suggestions. To help narrow down the options, what is your budget for one set of 1.0 meter interconnects? Also, what interconnects are you currently using?

3. Strat-Mangler

I'd say $70. Might be incredibly cheap to most but that will mean over $200 and I already spent thousands on my new setup with a VPI Prime, Denton speakers, Dynavector cart and preamp, taxes, and duty fees.

Not trying to cheapen out necessarily but would like something that wouldn't break the bank, yet show a more musical presentation than run-of-the-mill interconnects.

Later on, once I have more funds, I can afford to look into upgrading to more serious cabling.

4. russk

russk Forum Resident

5. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

6. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I have the Morrow 2M cables I bought off ebay for a great price. Can't recall, but thinking they were just over $100 for one set, might be out of your budget range.

7. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Wireworld Oasis 7 are reasonably priced by comparison. Good low-mass connectors. Neutral sounding.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    jeffsjazz and russk like this.
  8. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Used.

They will have already depreciated in cost, which makes it no/low risk to buy and flip until you find the set that works best for you.

jupiterboy likes this.
  9. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

Audience Ohno interconnects are not big money.

10. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

Blue Jeans Cable or Monoprice. I've used both and neither breaks the bank!

JohnO and krisbee like this.
  11. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Buying used was a great way to begin exploring higher quality cables, there are exceptional values offered on this Forum, Ebay, and elsewhere. Another benefit is they are burned in already, so they will sound how they should sound.

For a new cable that an excellent value I would look into these two:

All Copper Wire
    Analog Two »
    I've used this to connect a DAC to an my amp and got excellent results. Lengths begin at 2 ft. for $49.

Silver Coated Copper Wire
    Silver Serpent RCA Audio Interconnect Cable - Anniversary Edition | Better Cables »
    For a DAC connection I would not choose this one, from my experience the added detail silver gives you does not work well with a DAC. However for connecting a CD or other Disc player directly to an amp it's fine choice. It's also available in short lengths starting at 8" for $59.95.

I also own Morrow, Harmonic Tech, and Black Cat cables, all purchased used, all for great deals, they are out there!

Cliff and Rolltide like this.
  12. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

No Static, uncleroy and Bill Mac like this.
  13. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

$70, I'd look for a used Nordost Blue Heaven, then again I am a bit of a fanboy.

New around that price I like the Ecosse Composer or Conductor

14. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I will also recommend Blue Jeans Cable. They have fast service, and the cables are very good. The only negative is that the RCA connectors have a cable boot that sticks out further than some other options.

15. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Another vote for Blue Jeans. Dependable, quality cables at excellent prices.

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

17. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

You could pick up some very nice used Cardas with your budget of $70 each.

18. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

19. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  20. Mr Physical Format

Mr Physical Format Member

Atlas Equator. Smooth , clear & immediate. A tricky combination but they do it.

sound chaser and TeflonScoundrel like this.
  21. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

BJC

22. Strat-Mangler

I know they're made strong but I'm wondering about the tone, specifically. I don't jump rope with my interconnects. :D

dunkyboy and russk like this.
  23. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

Blue Jean has a mellow character. They work well with bright solid state. The Beldon 8402 is the most neutral I have heard for under $100. I use $200 Morrow MA3 in my main system and the Beldon 8402 ($60 Shipping Inc.) in my office system.

dunkyboy and russk like this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I would suggest NVA. They are direct sold from the UK but even with shipping to Canada should be reasonable especially now with the low value of the pound. I would suggest SSC or the cheaper SC.

Items in nene valley audio store on eBay ! »

25. triple

triple Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.