Best Biography (Print) of The Three Stooges?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bill Hart, Feb 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident Thread Starter

Pretty much self-explanatory. I assume some are burnished, some tap into the dark side of Hollywood (e.g. Ted Healy's death), but for you cognoscenti, care to share? For some reason, I have a sudden urge to read in-depth about them.
    TIA.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm happy with them...

3. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

As a diehard fan (and card carrying member since 1989 when I was 10) besides the above mentioned these are essentials:

[​IMG]

This debunks a lot of the lies that have become truths about Ted Healy and is an essential read:

[​IMG]

My absolute all-time favorite book about the team, this is a must read if you are a fan:

[​IMG]

MarkTheShark and Bill Hart like this.
  4. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

This one has a lot of great pictures, but it’s also not accurate on many accounts. Still for pictures and stuff a nice way to spend the afternoon but not in the top tier:

[​IMG]

Bill Hart likes this.
  5. Bill Hart

Thank you all. It looks like i have some reading to do. Is there a definitive bio- one that is regarded as comprehensive and accurate?

6. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I have several of those mentioned, as well as ‘Larry:The Stooge In The Middle.’ Even this one and the Curly bio seem to cover the whole Stooges history and don’t really focus on a single member exclusively. One bio doesn’t leap out as being better than the others, in my opinion.
    [​IMG]

7. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Start with The Three Stooges Scrapbook, updated version pictures above. Many details that were thought fact/unknown when first published in 1981 have been corrected/added. Then I would go in this order:
    - One Fine Stooges
    - Moe Howard
    - Curly

If you want just a filmography then the Jon Solomon book that Michael posted is your best bet. (That is still fun to read because more info on the shirts/films themselves is given.)

MarkTheShark and Bill Hart like this.
  8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I have the latest Moe book and it is excellent. Right from the head Stooge himself. He was working on it at the time of his death. The others are probably great as well. And there is this on DVD. I don't have it yet but need to get it. Trying to work my way thru the Black Box first but I might wanna go ahead and grab this while it is cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Hey-Moe-Dad/dp/B00T5DYV6M

[​IMG]

EDIT: Went ahead and ordered on Prime, that's a steal

Benno123, MarkTheShark and Bill Hart like this.
  9. Bill Hart

Thanks for the additional input. It's funny, I'm much more of a reader when it comes to taking in information (as opposed to watching a documentary film) even if the subject is about film. (Obviously, you have to have seen those too ). Like most of us, I guess, some of those shorts are part of my childhood and still resonate--

10. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I second the above recommendations. Scrapbook is probably the best overview, and One Fine Stooge is excellent as well. While focusing on Larry Fine, it covers the other Stooges as well and includes some writings by both Larry and Moe Howard.

I have not read the Healy book (which is said to be excellent) or Triumphs & Tragedies (which is said to be...well, not).

The "Hey Moe! Hey Dad!" DVD miniseries is indispensable. Well worth checking out. Among other things, quite a bit of rare film footage in there, from the Howard family, including some color home movie footage of Shemp visiting the set during filming of "Three Little Pirates."

Benno123 and Bill Hart like this.
  11. MikeInFla

here is another book on a secondary character. Would love to read this one. Love Vernon in the Stooges shorts.

https://www.amazon.com/Vernon-Dent-...5632&sr=1-1&keywords=vernon+dent+stooges+book

And for reading online here is a ton of info on Christine McIntyre

Biography

I believe somewhere on that same site is Bill's quest to track her down way before there was ways to do it online (and he did find her). It's an interesting read but I can't find it at the moment.

EDIT: Found it: http://taillefer.tripod.com/ChristineMcIntyre/msfcm.html

Benno123 likes this.
  12. Bill Hart

That's cool. When I watched some of the shorts as an adult, I only then appreciated that the Stooges had some very good looking women playing bit parts. Something that eluded me as a child. Thanks for this. I had a feeling some of you were deep on Stooge-related information and ephemera.

13. MikeInFla

Speaking of secondary players, here's some trivia for you... Do you know who this blonde is??? Hint: She later turned into America's favorite redhead.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Benno123 likes this.
  14. Bill Hart

Ricky Ricardo?

MikeInFla and Benno123 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.