Best cartridge upgrade option for AT-LP120X

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vinylfilmaholic, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylfilmaholic

vinylfilmaholic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

Just curious if everyone could suggest some good upgrades to the AT-LP120X turntable?

I'm honestly looking for a plug-and-play option, I'm awful when it comes to aligning a cart. I'm just worried that I will pick up a cartridge mounted on a headshell that won't be compliant with the table and its arm, etc. Also, this will be going into my Marantz NR1200 and its built in MM phono preamp, with the 120Xs preamp defeated if that's any help. Styles of music listened to: rock, hip-hop, metal, indie rock, jazz, electronic. Almost everything in my collection is newer pressings.

Was seriously considering the Ortofon 2M Blue/SH-4 combo, but not sure if it's compliant. I know LPGear sells a bunch of cart/headshell SET options.

Budget is $250 or less preferably please, would possibly be willing to stretch that to $300 for the right recommendation.

DaMoodyBlues likes this.
  2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

AT540 is a nice match for that table. Ortofon also makes carts integrated with the headshell,
    and it's all set up correctly for an "S" shaped tonearm (which you have,) you may want to try
    that. Just release the headshell you have (unscrew the collar,) and plug the headshell/cart on
    and snug the collar back. Done!

vinylfilmaholic and The Pinhead like this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

4. You can get the AT-VM540 premounted in a compatible universal headshell. You can't get any more plug 'N' play than that. It lists for $289., just out of your price range. It has the same output voltage as the AT-VM95E which your TT should have come with. The VM540 has a micro-line type stylus, so you will hear every imperfection which your current cartridge covered up.

whitwye and vinylfilmaholic like this.
  5. vinylfilmaholic

Is the VM540 that much more of an improvement on the 2M Blue?

6. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

I was debating between the VM540ML/h and the 2M Blue PNP.

I ended up getting the 540. I listened to a few comparisons on YouTube, and liked the 540 a bit better. The 2M blue seemed pretty good too, but I’ve read the 540 tracks better as well.

I like the pre mounted ones too, I don’t have time to mess around with doing it myself. I’m too ocd.

vinylfilmaholic likes this.
  7. Chris Schoen

The AT tracks better (nothing tracks as good...) and (imo) the 540 is much more detailed.

whitwye likes this.
  8. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Since the AT-LP120X has a AT-VM95E cartridge, you can upgrade it by switching the stylus with a AT-VM95ML (Microline - $149) or AT-VM95SH (Shibata - $179) stylus.

9. vinylfilmaholic

But will that sound as good as the 540?

10. Chris Schoen

Not quite, probably. I put a AT540 on a LP120, and it sings...

whitwye and vinylfilmaholic like this.
  11. vinylfilmaholic

I'm definitely considering it now. :)

Chris Schoen likes this.
  12. whitwye

whitwye Active Member

I took that same route. Huge difference. I've now moved the 540 to a Fluance RT85, where it's a shade better again -- and better than then Ortofon Blue that came on that. Between LP120 + 450 or RT85 + Blue, the first could honestly be preferred. The detail is far more than the stock VM95E brings out.

13. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

Do not think the OP said he was a DJ - would definitely not recommend this for "normal" hi-fi listening - that is, for non-dj use...

v

Whay and vinylfilmaholic like this.
  14. Chris Schoen

You won't be disappointed. Just make sure that you keep the capacitance low between the table and your pre-amp.
    (Short cable length, if possible and low capacitance cables, like Blue Jeans LC-1) AT carts tend to be "bright",
    and a lower capacitance helps tame this. After some "break in" the cart does smooth out nicely though. :righton:

15. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I swapped mine out for the now discontinued AT-100e and it sounds awesome. It also came premounted on a headshell. I am not great at aligning such things (or just too lazy) but I did check it and it was spot on. Truly Plug N Play, took less than 30 seconds for the whole process.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...3?keywords=at-100e&qid=1574333179&sr=8-3&th=1

I still have my 95e as a spare. When I detect the 100e starting to wear out I'll look into the AT-540.

16. vinylfilmaholic

The Marantz tends to smooth out some of that brightness (at least it has for the 95, previously had that going into a Mani and damn was that edgy sounding).

17. Chris Schoen

O.k., so you are aware of that. :righton:

18. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

The discontinued AT120eb is still available at LP Gear for about $130. Nude elliptical. My fav MM cart by far on my LP120. Big time upgrade from the 95 series. LP Gear sells the "Set" with one of their Ultimate headshells for $166.LP Gear Audio-Technica AT120Eb SET

19. What something will sound like is purely subjective. You may not know what something sounds like unless you try it. What sounds good to someone may not sound good to someone else. If you want to experiment, when you buy something to try, make sure they have a liberal return policy that doesn't penalize you.
    The advantage to having a turntable like yours is that it utilizes interchangeable universal headshells. Buy another headshell so that if you buy another cartridge, you can mount it in the 2nd headshell and do A/B comparisons.
    Myself, using 2 similar turntables in 2 separate systems, I have 5 different headshells, each mounted with a different cartridge. Depending on the format of a particular record I am playing, I just swap out the headshells. It takes just seconds to swap out, re-balance and adjust.
    There are variable factors affecting records which you should consider:
    1). There are different mixes of vinyl and not everyone uses the same formula.
    2). There is a growth in the record pressing industry and many lack the experience of how to press records.
    3). These record pressing facilities mostly use a turntable and cartridge, similar, if not the same as you have. None use anything extraordinary.
    4). All records have inherent defects and characteristics. The higher end the cartridge, the more than is going to be revealed. So, then, you have to have additional equipment to filter out the negative stuff.
    5). The recorded source and what the record master was cut on will also have an effect on what you hear.

I have been recording vinyl to a hard drive for a few years now. Most recently, I have been going through some early Paul Anka and Frankie Avalon 45's. From 1959-1960, most were available in both stereo and mono, of which I have both versions. With all of the F.A. stereo 45's, just before the music starts, when the master was cut, as soon as the source tape is started, there is a 60hz hum. This, ofcourse is the A.C. current. Somewhere along the line the electronics had leaking filter capacitors.
    This is an example of how records were not made with the audiophile in mind. With the latest recordings, even with the best audiophile intentions, they often don't have the experience to do it right. This even extends to the pressing of the records. Quality control, as well as experience, is lacking. Companies, like QRP have difficulties with pressing records that are properly centered. Pressing companies, like Optimal Media in Germany don't use as good of vinyl as others use.

So, it all come down to what it sounds like to you. If you want to make a change, you are simply just going to have to experiment. Because you've been listening to a particular setup for a long time, don't be surprised if it ends up that it sounds the best to you.

20. vinylfilmaholic

Yes sir. So if it’s a bright sounding cart I’m fine with it because the Marantz will smooth things out to what I really like. I would go for the Nagaoka MP-110 but I’d be afraid it would turn into a warm gooey mess.

21. Chris Schoen

Sounds like you understand what "synergy" is between components. Smart man. :agree::righton:
    I like the sound a little on the "bright" side myself, that is where a lot of the detail is.

22. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

My system is on the warmer side of things too and the AT's are a perfect match. One thing about the VM540ml though is it needs precise alignment and VTA adjustment. The advanced stylus shape needs to sit perfectly in the groove to perform it's best. A nude elliptical like the AT120eb/VM530en/Ortofon 2M Blue is much more forgiving in that regard.

23. vinylfilmaholic

Well that scares me hahaha

Boltman92124 likes this.
  24. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Pre-mounted carts usually come with the standard Technics set-up. 52mm from rubber washer to stylus tip and the cartridge sitting straight in the headshell. That's the easiest way to use them and the AT Turntables have the same effective length tonearm as the Technics 1200. So it works well in general. I don't know if AT fixed the VTA issue the older LP120 has like mine though. The Arm was too high and my platter needed a thick mat to get the cartridge parallel with the record surface.

But go for the VM540ml by all means! Maybe you can experiment with a protractor later on if you want to. It's fun!

25. vinylfilmaholic

I’m not sure if they have. I know they took out the arm height adjustment mechanism. Spinning a record right now and all looks well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.