Best cartridge you've never heard of: the Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

No issue with IGD for me either but then I use a lateral tracking arm. Part of the joy of the PGT is the lack of distortion in the upper frequencies and one of the reasons I'll never go back to MM. I've also found getting the correct rake angle to be just as important in set up.

Heckto35 likes this.
  2. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can you show the chart? I've got to say, I don't believe there's a cartridge in the world that has a flat frequency response up to 20 kHz. I've tested plenty and none of them have been anywhere near, though you can get a bit closer by messing around with the loading.

jupiterboy likes this.
  3. NeumannU87

NeumannU87 Forum Resident

I'm using mine on a VPI Traveler at 1.87g and with a lot of tweaking the VTA and overhang, I've got the best sounding playback I've ever experienced analog or digital.

Heckto35 and marblesmike like this.
  4. BenN

BenN Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I'm thinking about getting one of these Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II carts sometime soon and was wondering if anyone knows where to buy one new online.

I have not read every page in this thread yet, but i did see someone say its only available in Japan? (Google isn't showing many results for me...in fact this thread is right at the top rather than any online stores with it!).

Any pointers in the right direction are appreciated!

5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, I have my eye on one of these on eBay at the best price I've seen. The seller is S2juki-cartridge and he's only charging 325GBP post-free.

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The 33 series cartridges ground as normal. Assuming Linn wiring is standard L +R + LE+ RE, I would assume it's a problem with the arm wiring or arm earthing.

7. BenN

BenN Well-Known Member

Cool, thank you for the info! I did find some on Amazon.com, third party sellers there seem to average around $525.00 USD. This thing is pretty expensive (for me!) but from what I hear it will be worth it.

I currently have a shure M97xE with a jico sas stylus...and while I have no complaints with the sound quality, its just becoming too much of an issue with how sensitive it is to scratches, dirt, non fill etc (especially with new records). It picks up everything like that way more than any other stylus I have had (not many!).

8. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

The AT33PTG/ii has been one of the most forgiving-sounding cartridges I've ever heard in regards to playing less than perfect records.

Heckto35 likes this.
  9. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...005628&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technica+at33ptg

10. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

I paid ~$550 from a seller from Japan on Amazon, came very quickly. Mine came from BuyJapan: http://www.amazon.com/s?marketplace...H1YJRMM&merchant=A2R8M57H1YJRMM&redirect=true

I never used an m97xe with a Jico, only a stock. I did not care for the stock m97xe, and moved to the AT440MLa which smoked the stock Shure m97xe. This, in turn, smokes the AT440MLa. It's a fantastic cartridge.

11. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

That guy (the eBay seller) has a reputation round here for being an excellent seller. I asked him if he would "down-value" the item to avoid such charges and he replied in the affirmative.

As for Gumtree, I have never had any confidence in it and wouldn't buy anything from there. Am I missing something ? Is this Gumtree seller selling a new item or the one on his deck? If the latter, why?

13. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

I got my AT PGT from a nice chap who lives in Clapham, London - his wife is Japanese and every now and again he goes to visit the family and comes back with a bag load of brand new, discounted carts. He hangs out on the Hi-fi Wigwam forum.

14. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Does his wife ever say she never thought it would happen with her and the guy from Clapham? I must know.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  15. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

yes, but try and imagine it in a japanese accent :)

16. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I'm thinking of going for the AT33Sa. Anybody else considering it? It costs a fair bit more, but I'm curious.

17. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Im keeping an eye on a few prices.
    Looking forward to hearing it.

18. Gary7704

I have a technics 1200. Does anyone know if this cart will work with this table? Not looking to do any re wiring or anything like that.

Thanks.

19. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

The AT33Sa? Sure it will work, but with a shibata stylus, you may not get all the cartridge has to offer without azimuth adjustment etc., on the stock headshell. That's a lot of cartridge for a stock 1200.

jeff

20. Gary7704

It is a stock headshell, the adjustments are no problem, I can handle that. Would you recomend a better headshell ?

21. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

I would if I knew of one with bias adjustment. I've wanted one of those Orsonic jobbies for a while. Not sure if they have bias adjustments. Will take a look around.

jeff

22. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

Yes, am running this on a stock 1200, absolutely amazing.

23. Gary7704

Cant wait. Mine is awaiting me in my mailbox...

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The AT cartridges are more forgiving of lighter arms but in general MC aren't best suited to the stock SL 1200 arm. Heavier headshells (with azimuth adjustment) can be substituted at some cost. Personally I wouldn't use a £650 cartridge on a stock deck or others in the same cost range.

25. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

According to the Vinylengine resonance calculator the AT carts should be fine with stock Technics arms.

And £650 for the AT33PTG/ii? That's almost $1000 for a cart you can find online for under $500.

Heckto35 likes this.