Best cartridge you've never heard of: the Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

Oh. Damn. You may be right...

2. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I think I'll put it like this: I was very concerned about spending money on what could have been a step down from my XX-2, but I was very curious as to what else was out there soundwise. Do I regret spending $500 on this AT instead of getting my XX-2 rebuilt by Dynavector for $1000? No.

After I bought the AT, Soundsmith revealed their new top upgrade rebuild. It's roughly the same price as the AT, and has all the parts and specs of the XX-2. AT this point, I think I'd prefer to spend $500 on the rebuild, but I don't regret buying AT as I wanted to hear something different(this cartridge specifically) and it's a great cart on its own. So I'm happy.

Seafinch likes this.
  3. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

You switched to the US SA from PTG/II?

4. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I just read the long Amazon users review of the SA, and it seemed like exactly how I would describe the differences between the XX-2 and the PTG/II.

5. Seafinch

Oh man! I just went and read it too. Sounds like that might be the way to go...

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Link?

7. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

On my second one :)

8. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

That's funny as it was your endorsement of the PTG/II over the XX-2 that allowed me to consider the PTG a worthy choice. Cool, though, and sounds like there's another good cartridge to consider.

9. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Quiter in the grooves and a better tracker on my system, also it drops into in to the PTG/II setup, I mount it on my arm fine tune the headshell and it is already aligned

10. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Yeah, it's just under double the price of PTG/II, though. But if it compares favorably to my opinion of the XX-2, then the SA is half the price for 100% quality. Not bad!

If the SA is the same body size and style as the PTG/II, it will still require some accommodations on the VPI 10.5 arm as I stated earlier. The XX-2 did fit (height and weight) better.

11. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Spitfire likes this.
  12. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Do you also think there is an improvement similar to the statements in the Amazon review? Slightly richer bass and midrange with slightly smoother highs? That's exactly how I feel about my Dyna.

Seafinch likes this.
  13. Seafinch

What are you using to align yours? VPI jig? The short cantilever makes me a little nervous about aligning a line stylus. Must be manageable...

14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Wow.

It's because of you, I got the AT33PTG/II.

Heckto35 and kannibal like this.
  15. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I use the VPI jig. I also use a protractor included with a test record I own. If I'm unhappy with the sound, I will experiment just a touch after setting it with either of the tools I have.

I'd love to use one of the crazy custom protractors, but I don't want to spend the money on something I'll use once every 3 years.

16. Seafinch

Yeah. I have the VPI Jig and it's been fine for me, but then I keep thinking that perfect alignment could make a bigger difference than even a new cartridge so a custom one might be well worth it - ugh. Thanks for the info.

17. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I just got a return call from US Audio-Technica service manager Jim Schotts, they will replace an AT33SA for 411.00. Just fill out the service form on the website and send it in.

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Do you know if that would apply to surrendering an AT33PTG/II against the SA?

19. Seafinch

Awesome! I just ordered a 33SA.

kannibal likes this.
  20. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

you are in the EU, I cannot speculate what their policy is there since they seem to differ by region

21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Should be the same. It states in the pamphlet that you only pay the cost of the stylus (which equates to 35% off) and that it can be exchanged against any AT cartridge.

22. Seafinch

Just got my SA installed. First impressions are that right off the bat it's slightly more dynamic and throws a much deeper soundstage than the Quintet Black I've been using. Surface noise is significantly lessened too. So far so good - excited to hear how it breaks in.

GreatTone and kannibal like this.
  23. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Where'd you order from? I'm close to getting one myself to replace my AT33EV whose stylus is nearing the end of life.

24. Seafinch

Villa Vinyl on eBay. Super fast shipping and a great price.

GreatTone likes this.
  25. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

had a AT33ptg & upgraded a few months ago to the AT33Sa & both superb performers until the kids ruined my Sa the other day . must buy a dust cover for my deck!
    dealer suggested i try the next one up in the AT range the ART9 & this is just sublime