Best cartridge you've never heard of: the Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, Sep 17, 2013.

1. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Yes. Get a Blue stylus for your cartridge and call it a day.

jeff

2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I just got an AT33PTG/ii on my new Thorens TD 147 and while it is still below the 20 hour break-in period it sounds fantastic. It still has a romantic sound to it while being clearer and more up front than my Denon 301mkii. Surface noise is all but gone and the noise floor has entirely dropped. This also might be the best tracking cart I've ever used. The Denon was great in that regard too, but the PTG/ii is even better.

Right now I'm listening to the RL-mastered Camel - Moonmadness and it sounds so clear yet immersive.

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Great album and a great cartridge!

4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Anyone know if this cartridge is compatible with a Linn Ekos?

5. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Last year I swapped my Jico SAS1 for the AT33PTG/ii and it was a huge upgrade. Better in every respect other than the fact I lost a bit of slam/bass. Incredibly quiet in the groove with surface noise greatly reduced. An absolute bargain really. I would never go back to MM now. I run a vintage system - Quad II's into EMI elliptical drivers. I started off using a head amp but quickly bought a pair of Llundahl SUT's and began experimenting with loading on the primary and secondary windings. The difference is amazing. My opening target was 100 ohm which was obviously way off and I eventually ended up loading the secondaries at just 3 ohm! The detail is incredible.

marblesmike likes this.
  6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

As my brother lives there does anyone know where this could be bought in Japan at the best price ?

7. Max

Max Forum Resident

i saw them in Bic-Camera and Yotobashi chain stores but on e-bay they are somehow cheaper than i saw them in Tokyo.

8. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I am on my second AT33EV, which I've been using for about 10 months now. While I was in between AT33EV's, I mounted up a NOS Astatic MF-300 that I had never used, and while it lacked the detail and precision of that AT33EV, it had one thing in spades: tons of bass slam. I didn't think my speakers were capable of so much low-end power. The Astatic is an excellent performer, but can't compete with the AT33EV in any area except the bass. But I still wonder why that Astatic could rock the bass so well.

9. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Dredging up a slightly old thread here - but I'm very curious to know why it is that the 33PTG would cut down so much on surface noise vs. the 150MLX - is it just a matter of the high end of the 150 being a little higher at specific loads, and is it reasonable to assume that if the loading was right , the 150 would be just as quiet given it's the same stylus/cantilever?

Heckto35 likes this.
  10. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

The stylus shape could be a factor but I think it's simply the frequency response. The AT150MLX has a bit of top-end hump that would tend to emphasise sharp ticks whereas the AT33PTG/II is the opposite - it has a bit of a top-end dip that tends to de-emphasise the clicks, along with any harshness in the original recording.

Heckto35 likes this.
  11. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

top end dip? Mine does not show any dip till around 20k

12. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Perhaps it's the resonance of an MC cart vs a MM cart?

13. marblesmike

I used the Denon 301mk2 for about a year or so before getting the AT33PTG/ii. I thought the Denon was great with lack of surface noise, but the AT33PTG/ii shatters it. I can't believe how most surface noise is so subdued and barely noticeable.

Heckto35 likes this.
  14. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Yeah, I was amazed too when I first listened to my AT33/PTG/ii - it really made a difference to the way I viewed my collection. I had LP's that I weren't happy with because they were a bit too noisy and I was thinking of splashing more cash on replacements - but the PGT totally changed that. It actually saved me money in the long run.

Heckto35 and marblesmike like this.
  15. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Yes, but you may bell be costing me money in the short run! :)

Kristeva likes this.
  16. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

:thumbsdow: So far, my experience with this cartridge sucks!

I brought it to the local Linn Dealer to install on my LP-12 with Ittock tonearm. Nasty hum in the right channel. The dealer (top guy in the world for LP12 setup) wonders if the right channel ground is supposed to be grounded to the cart body? If so, it's incompatible with the Linn turntable.

Or perhaps it's defective? Hard to test without another AT33PTG/II around to compare.

Guess it serves me right for experimenting with an unknown cartridge with no US dealer or tech support...:(

17. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Some of the AT carts have a little metal tab than can be removed that grounds the cartridge. I had to remove it on my 440 and 150. My AT MC cart does not have one.

18. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do you mean you've tested it and that's what the chart shows? That would be puzzling because I've tested two or three of these carts and they always come out the same:

[​IMG]

19. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

It always comes down to money in the end.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the 150MLX, other than it's reputation for being a tad bright in certain systems. Is it an MM? I would say the way an MC treats the higher frequencies with such clean delicacy might help with reducing surface noise, even if it's just an impression. Other than that, and has already been mentioned, it's also down to stylus shape, different cart specs, and I found correct loading made a big difference, especially if your using step up transformers with an MC. Incorrect loading produced greater contrast in the frequencies and the inevitable resultant ticks/pops.

20. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Tested it last night even...-20db pink noise

21. TLMusic

Does anyone know if the AT33PTG/II has a removable tab that may improve the right channel ground hum?

22. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

It is easy to spot—gold external tab that goes over the green pin and slips into the side of the cartridge body. You can pry it right out, then slip it back on. Engineered to be reversible.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    TLMusic likes this.
  23. TLMusic

Thanks!

My turntable is at the dealer, so I'll ask them to check for that tomorrow. I really hope the problem can be solved.

At least the left channel sounded great...

24. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

This is the only cart that can track the original pressings of Rush - Grace Under Pressure. All the others I've heard choke on the last track of each side.

marblesmike likes this.
  25. marblesmike

I've had the same experience. In fact, I've not had any IGD with this cart at all.