Best Genesis on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opti, Feb 4, 2005.

1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Yes, and the more dynamic, soft explosion of bass at the beginning of Fly is fantastic on the original cd. (Gives you a taste of the better vinyl pressings).

Regarding Trick Of The Tail: I just noticed this the other day.
    The DR values for the DE remaster are a little higher than the original cd.

Just goes to show that DR numbers are NOT necessarily definitive.

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

I'm going to drag out my old DE version and compare it to my two German and Japan for US originals.

2. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

DR numbers indicate the use of mastering compression. The DE remasters were not compressed, their main problem is noise reduction which varies from album to album (Trespass is the worst).

3. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

The DE Trick has smiley-faced EQ compared to the Atco and West German CDs. It's actually really easy to notice if you do an A/B/C listening comparison. The DE might have slightly higher dynamic range because of its treble boost, though I'm not entirely sure. The WG Charisma is my favorite version of Trick because it has better midrange than the Atco and it retains that mastering's clarity and soundstaging. While the Atco does have slightly more low-end, the mids aren't as nice and open as they are on the WG CD. I realize that I'm in the minority for this one, but hopefully this will inspire people to reevaluate the WG disc. FWIW, the Yellow Rays and blue-face CDs share the same mastering.

grandegi likes this.
  4. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Some years ago I purchased a UK LP repress of Foxtrot, with catalogue number CAS 1058 and matrices A//3 & B//2, in near mint condition. I don't like its sound at all on my system: bloated bass and rolled-off treble. I was suprised, as my original Selling England By The Pound (Italian pressing) sounds very balanced instead... sooner or later I think I'll track down an original Foxtrot.

5. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Yes, boosting the treble can artificially increase dynamic range.

After I fell in love :love: with the WG blueface/yellow rays Duke, I tracked down that version for ATotT. Just doesn't do it for me though. I think the V/C (Atco) is a truly great sounding disc for this one. Maybe I'll revisit someday.

6. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Doesn't the Red Swirl share the same mastering (apart from some indexing differences I read about)?

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

And in addition to this, a US Atco Nursery Cryme which was very nice! Not compared directly to the V/C on the new active speakers, but I liked what I heard.

8. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Honestly, with few exceptions you can't really go wrong with any of the old 80's discs.

9. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

That pretty much sums up a few hundred pages of Genesis CD discussions.

10. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Such as?

mdm08033 likes this.
  11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

To my ears the only dud in the US Genesis CD discography is the standard ATCO Wind And Wuthering. Where's the bass and low mid-range? The Sanyo Japan for US is essential.

albertop and The_Windmill like this.
  12. Thievius

Such as the '85 V/C of Wind and Wuthering which I happen to own. It isn't horrible, but it does sound thin with little low end and I am told there are better versions out there.

The_Windmill likes this.
  13. Thievius

Really? I always thought people preferred the Atco. I may be mistaken or remembering wrong though.

14. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

I had it for a week or so and then sold it. Very thin sound with no bass at all.

15. The_Windmill

Is it a Sonopress?
    I have a Nimbus and it doesn't sound that bad. The Black Triangle is the same transfer but with additional bass.
    The Atco (Sanyo) is another favourite, more balanced but a little less air.

Anyway, now that you mention it, the W&W Atco Wea is really one to avoid.
    There's an early Genesis that sounds muffled and with little soundstage but I don't remember what that was.

Apart from those two, I don't remember an early CDs to "avoid at all cost!".

EDIT
    sorry, I didn't see the W&W Wea had been mentioned already!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  16. The_Windmill

There are three presses of the Atco. Firts two were made by Sanyo, same mastering, Good. The third was made by Wea and it's rubbish.

That mastering is a mess. Sounds like a pre-emphasis disc without flag, amd if memory serves me right it syncs with the European V/C mastering. But in the super-thread it is stated it's not a clone of the Sonopress without flag.

17. The_Windmill

Who bought it?
    I sold mine to a collector, otherwise it still would be here :D

18. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

:righton:
    A Genesis collector on eBay. I got it at Academy Records in Manhattan, NYC for $2.99, and sold it for £3.50, so I made a small profit. :thumbsup:

The_Windmill likes this.
  19. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I have to say, the 80s 'Lamb', at least my Canadian disc, was pretty crap.

20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yesterday I bought an old Atco CD edition of Lamb. Even though I was in general satisfied with the DE remaster, I find the mix has more room to breath in the old CD, which also sounds "wider", if you get what I mean. I can't say whether there is a humm or not, for I usually don't turn up the volume too loud.

21. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Same goes for V/C Austria pic disc original, played loud it is so good, widescreen and close to vinyl too.

22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Those 3rd pressing Japan cd's are the bee's knees. They are the only early Genesis cd's to feature the original full cover art and gatefold artwork, along with lyrics. And feature that early mastering! :righton:

23. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Would you have the series catalogue number for these? thanks.

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

They start with VJCP. But be careful, because so do the Japan mini's with different mastering.

sound chaser likes this.
  25. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Got into the group via the 2007/08 remixes but have ended up for years with the original Charisma/Virgin CD's. Minor shortcomings, all in all the sound is nice and flat, very dynamic, even if the drum sound is a bit dry in places. Have always been a stickler for what the original LP would sound like, then that's what the CD should sound like too.