best inexpensive phono tube pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Massproductions, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Got any suggestions on a good tube phono pre-amp that has a nice big fat warm sound?

I have an Audio Technica AT-LP120 USB with built in pre-amp, but the pre-amp sounds kinda harsh.

I've seen some Belari Tube pre-amps, they use only one tube? Are those any good?

I would like to keep my cost under $200.00, is this possible?

If you have any better suggestions, "I'm all ears!"

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

3. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

For two hundred bucks, something used, or build a Marantz 7 "clone" from a board on ebay, but even that will probably cost more than $200 unless you have a well stocked junk box. The power supply will probably eat up sixty or seventy bucks alone.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

200 bucks? I doubt it. Why not save for something good?

5. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

The Bellari, Pro-Ject, and most other inexpensive "tube" phono pres are simply solid-state pres with a tube buffer grafted on at the output. And the Bellari in particular seems to get a lot of bad reviews. The Yaqin MS-22B is another option, and it may even use the tubes for more than a simple buffer -- but reviews are mixed. It's probably a good pre (haven't used one myself), but may or may not be any better than a good budget solid-state phono pre like Musical Fidelity V-LPS, Rega Fono Mini, Cambridge 640/650, etc. In the under $200 range my recommendation would be to look for one of the aforementioned SS pres on the used market.

6. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Nothing good tube wise; that'll take more dough. The phono stage in some nicer sounding receivers could be an affordable option. The old NAD 3240, which I have, has a pleasant sound, not bright or harsh. Alternately, you might consider a Hagerman Bugle kit (or have one made, for example by forum member Sushimaster) which could be ~$325 assembled with power supply - or much less if you use a 9v battery. Something like that could be enough or could tide you over until you find and can afford the tube phono stage you want.

7. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

for $200 the smart money is on the Cambridge Audio 540 or 640p. to get a tube pre sounding better will cost you X4 times that amount.

the Bellari's are rubbish, mutton dressed up as lamb

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Save up for a Decware ZP3.

9. The Yaquin MS-22B is the only new turnkey option for $200. There are some used bellari VP130 at $150 at amazon. The bellari's use a lot of op-amp circuitry though. The tube is only at the front end. Also, I do remember the guys at Brooks Berdan mentioning the Bellari has some audible hiss.

10. halftime

halftime Active Member

11. halftime

halftime Active Member

I am using some vintage Tung- Sol's. I have also tried vintage GE's, but the Tung Sol's have more resolution, better bass, and a wider, deeper sound stage.

I have the Yaqin mated with a Rega Rp3 and Dynavector 10x5....................The setup sounds terrific.................

morinix likes this.
  12. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

I love my Project Tube Box SE, which I got 2 yrs ago. When I bought it I upgraded the tubes but I think if you just take their tubes, I believe it was $699. I know you said you wanted to spend a lot less. I recommend saving for a while and checking out the Project. When I first got it, it was the first tubes in my system. I heard an incredible difference right away. I knew then I was going to get a tube power amp. But really you will hear an immediate difference once you have tubes in the path.

13. attym

attym Forum Resident

Thoughts on the Jolida JD9.... can be had for around $500-600

14. blue

blue Mastering rules

For a little more get an EAR 834P used if you want it warm

15. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Jolida JD9. Sounds great and can be easily modded by tube rolling and/or changing op-amps. This unit is a steal for the money.
    Regards, Sam

16. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

The Bellari VP-130 ($250) gets a lot of hate from the audiophile crowd, but it has received rave reviews in the press and has its fans. Personally, I've really enjoyed PBTHAL's vinyl rips which feature the Bellari. It also looks really, really cool. Download PBTHAL's rip of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, and see what that does for you. If you're going to stick with Moving Magnet carts, the Bellari is a good option.

If you're interested in Moving Coils, I'd recommend Pro-Ject's Tube Box series. I once owned the Tube Box II ($450), and the sound was just terrific. Pianos sounded far richer and cleaner with a pair of Mullards than the V-LPS or Rega Fono Mini, both of which I've owned. The Tube Box S model now includes variable loading, which is really nice. Yes, it's a solid-state/tube hybrid. Nobody cares.

ProTip: Any good stereo receiver will have a quality phono stage that matches or beats any of the leading "budget" preamps. Find a 1970s 22xx series Marantz stereo, then send it into the shop for a tuneup.

John Bliss likes this.
  17. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Save up a bit more if you can.

18. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Low output MM carts need transformers for matching.

I don't know that "any" 70s or 80s receiver will have that good a phono stage. A few certainly did. Many used a cookbook copy of the old NatSemi "blue book" design that even with a good op amp isn't all that good as far as I can hear.

19. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Don't ya mean "low output Moving Coils?" In that case, yes, an MC-enabled preamp or step-up transformer is needed. The Bellari VP-130 only has 30db gain, so it's best with MM carts. Even high output MCs would be less than ideal. Pro-Ject's Tube Box (and Phono Box) allow for MM and MC with variable loading.

20. Joel27

Joel27 Member

I just got a TubeBox DS and couldn't be happier. It works great with my Denon dl103. Save up some money and get the best you can afford.

21. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

22. Tube Box DS is THREE AND A HALF TIMES the guys budget. o_O

23. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Yes it is. In the OP's first post he says he would like to keep his cost under $200 and then adds "Is this possible" and the adds "If you have any better suggestions I am all Ears"

For a decent tube based Phono Stage, me thinks not. Solid State, just about do-able.

24. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Laughalot's remark is good. No decent tube phono stage at that price. Get a used solid state stage: they don't have much moving parts and made to last nearly forever!

(Personally, I'm slightly suspicious of Tube Box DS, though I haven't heard it. I had the original Tube Box gor few days and I was able to compare it with both Creek OBH-15 and Benz's Lukaschek. Bottom line is that I still have the Creek and Benz. Tube Box did something for the spatial relations of the instruments, and it muddled the sonics. Then I tried it with some Stevie Ray Vaughan's records. Nice. It really worked with boogie kind of stuff, with the rhythm'n'blues. But it was severely limited as an overall device. I seriously doubt that the latest Tube Box model would be radically different to it. In below $€£ 500.- class I'd stick with solid state thing (Clearaudio/Creek/Lehmann/etc.).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.