Best Jethro Tull "Stand Up"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by csblue, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Any Tull thread is a :cool: thread - Thank you for your interest - Most of the time I have to twist arms to get people to listen to Tull.

:cheers:

2. tootull

This is what this Tull fan thought of most of the first US issue Tull CDs - Stormwatch being the worst offender - if all of these were mastered by the Mofi guy - they must have been from poor production masters - Wayne Green wrote in Digital Audio that the Tull CD catalog needed an over haul.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Guys,

Learn.

MUFFLED AND FLAT? That's what the friggin' tapes sound like. Wake up. Grab those old discs. Do your own remastering. Don't let someone else's over-mastering ruin 'em!!!!!

You should know this by now just from hanging out here!

4. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Tull is the best! :agree:

My wife stole my DCC Aqualung! A few days later she said "you know...Tull really rocks. And they rock hard. Sometimes I think they rock harder than.....well I don't want to say."

"No, say. What is it?"

"Well....sometimes they rock harder than Zeppelin!"

:eek:

:agree:

:love:

5. tootull

:hide: I like most of the remasters Stormwatch the most!

6. tootull

You're just trying to make me feel good, aren't you! :D Success!

7. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Me too! Love the Minstrel's bonus tracks too...they flow right along with the rest of the album!

:wave:

8. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

True story I swear!

She's currently has Benefit held hostage in her car and is willing to let it free if I give her Minstrel AND Bursting Out!

:righton:

9. tootull

I'm happy and I'm smiling! :cool:

10. csblue

csblue Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, Steve, are you saying that the original US CD of "Benefit" on the Chrysalis label is preferable to the version in the "Originals" box set? Is it a truer transfer of the original master tapes?
    Thanks,
    Steven.

11. tootull

12. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Me too. I hate the original cd's, love the remasters, love the MOFIs even more. Guess I haven't learned anything by hanging out here. Sorry, Steve.:D

13. tootull

I suppose the classic line or the misguided :rolleyes: might post "But you're wrong Steve it's only solitaire"

Steve knows it's a solitary thing, solitary in the acoustics that bounce off your tiny? big? medium? skull. It's revealed :p in his post about the sound on Layla. ... or not just your sound preferences but if you want to hear the studio tape raw.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=79177&page=2&pp=20&highlight=Layla

...sound adjustments can be made to any Tull CD that I've heard for improvements particularly a boost to the midsection, :winkgrin: much practice with this in the car waiting for the light to change - I trim the treble to tame remasters that I freely recommend Minstrel In The Gallery my fav. Tull album has always needed this adjustment for me. I'm tagged with 'Up to me' - Perhaps I should be tagged with 'Up to you'....

Friggin' :tsk: :tsk: :o sound trim! 1900 posts to you all!

14. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Just compared the original U.S. "Stand Up" with the European remaster. Gotta say that I liked the original with the hiss. Guess which one my brother is getting back. I'll have to compare my remaster of "Benefit" with the original U.S version (with 'Teacher') next time I raid his discs.

And I did an exhaustive search and finally found my "missing" U.S. "Living In The Past" :righton:

15. tootull

:righton: :whistle:

16. I'd be interested in your Benefit comparison. I recently did this, and I like the US original best.

I also agree with Stand Up.

Roland

17. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I bought "Benefit" when I was in Japan, so I had the choice of either the original U.K. or the U.S. version. I decided to go with the U.S. version because it had 'Teacher". Only after listening to it did I discover the sound of 'Teacher' did not seem to fit in with the rest of the album, like it was recorded at a different time or in a different studio. I jumped at the chance of owning the original U.K. version when the remaster was released. Now I'm not so sure.

How does the remaster compare with the original U.K. version?

The remaster has the original UK mix of 'Teacher'. How is this different from the U.S. mix? (I'll compare myself once I get my hands on the original disc)

18. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Darcy,

This is in fact a misprint. The "Teacher" on the remaster is actually the US version that we've known all these years. The UK version can be found on the "20 Years of Jethro Tull" box set.

19. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Thanks Fred. I only have the 21 songs single disc version of that box set which doesn't have teacher. A friend has a Tull box, but I'm not sure which one it is. I'll borrow it and see what's on it. Too bad 'Beggar's Farm' isn't on many of these comps.

20. tootull

Comparing Benefit CDs Living In The Past MFSL Benefit tracks!

Genuine confusion on this one, because I prefer tracks from 'Benefit' on every other CD I've heard to sound better, no matter what sound adjustments I made, than this USA CD - :wave: Threw that CD out! :laugh:

When I compared "Teacher" USA with the MFSL, the MFSL had - Air - space- life :rolleyes: around instruments - the MFSL to me exposes the USA 'Benefit' to be second generation - The remaster is cleaned up polished bright to the extent it could be another generation better- I say better here because the bonus tracks are acceptable to me as a sharper/colder listen than the warmer tracks on the MFSL, :angel: maybe I've been Mewed over! Nah! :D

-as the tracks appear on Living In The Past MFSL and 'Benefit' remaster I've had a few too many listens to these even for me - on the 'Benefit' remaster more clarity/sharpness is exposed or added? at the expense of a much brighter release. The Originals box Benefit removes the mud from the USA disc - dare I say it - a generation better - :angel: the Originals set sounds like the same source as the MFSL track "Inside" with slight noise reduction.

:cheers: all in good spirit! Eh

21. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

I'd be interested in a comparison between the UK Chrysalis Benefit, and the Originals box Benefit. Are they the same?

22. tootull

:thumbsup: me too - I have not heard the Brit CD here - But I've read on a secret :shh: Tull forum that it is different -as in unacceptable - and that the box-set is considered to be a remaster... the story goes on and on... Tull fans in general seem to like the Originals box-set. :D

23. I agree that "Teacher" does not sound good on the US Chrysalis, it's much better on the MFSL Living In The Past. The other tracks (which are from the original album - Teacher isn't) sound quite good to me, warm and natural.

I have never heard the "Originals" box set, so it could be better.

All I know is that I like the remaster the least. And I also much prefer the US Chrysalis over the UK Chrysalis (which runs too slow in my opinion).

One day, I will have to do a comparison with the Originals box set.

Roland

24. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

This is right thread (posted in the wrong one)

I compared the US original and remaster of "Benefit" and I like the original. The remaster is too bright. I turned the balance control a notch to the right (no more than the 1 o'clock position) for Side 1 of the original (tracks 1-5) and it sounds better IMO - the acoustic rhythm guitars stand up more and the sound is fuller. But I turned it back to the middle (12 o'clock) for Side 2.

The version of 'Teacher' on the original US is not the same mix as the UK mix bonus track on the remaster (unless you call having the instruments in different positions the same mix).

Anyone have the UK mix from the box set?

Thanks

25. Don C

Don C Member

I know that this question is old, but I just saw it now. The information came from Gregg Schnitzer, who was interviewed on the Aurealm site in July 2001. I think it's a credible source, unfortunately they seem to be offline now. I'll paste the quote below:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.