Best John Carpenter film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DrewHarris, Nov 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

i'll add my list,

so as stated, The Thing is my #1 Carpenter film.
    I'd say then its...
    Big Trouble in Little China
    Assault on Precinct 13
    Halloween
    Escape from New York
    The Fog

2. In the Mouth of Madness is too good. The only flaw I found with it is 1 or 2 moments of bad special effects. Everything else about the film was outstanding!

Big Trouble in Little China is on par as best film as well.

edit* I want to add They Live, Starman, and Halloween :)

3. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

The Thing - IMHO his best horror movie. Halloween created the slasher genre and was very well done, but I don't care too much for that style of movie.

Big Trouble In Little China - His most fun movie to watch. Escape From New York and They Live also fall into this category, but they tend to drag at times.

In The Mouth Of Madness - Special mention; as I'm a fan of Lovecraftian films, and this one is the best movie made in that style

The Fog - Special mention; The Thing is good for jump-scares, this movie is masterful at setting atmosphere. Nothing really happens in the first ten minutes but it creeps you the hell out.

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I would stack some of the imagery from "The Thing" against any other horror movie. The chest defibrillator scene still haunts me.

klockwerk likes this.
  5. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

6. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

EFNY seems to have a very widespread re-release.
    It's on at my local Leeds cinema on the 22nd ………. can't wait!

7. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Although we see it in many films nowadays, but when Snake is injected in the neck with those tiny dissolving explosives would it have been the first time on screen when someone has had something similar done in the neck with similar or a tracking device?

8. October Man

October Man I am the October Man, I dream of many things

I love The Thing and Escape From New York but I do have a soft spot for Starman

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Big Trouble For Little China" is a barrel of fun. #1 for me.

10. They probably struck these from the same transfers for the 4k Blu's coming out. My favorites by him still remain:

"The Thing"
    "Starman"
    "Escape From New York"
    "They Live"
    "Halloween"

"Prince of Darkness" is an underrated gem but I'm not a big fan of "The Fog" (it's too slow and kind of creaky). "Assault on Precinct 13" is also pretty good. Finally got the chance to see "Dark Star" a couple of years back on the big screen and it holds up pretty well as a satire of "2001".

11. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I like all of John Carpenter's films. I wish he'd directed twice as many.

I would have voted for In the Mouth of Madness. No doubt in my mind it's his best film. Except for the ending. The ending just slays it. Hate the ending.

So I voted for Halloween, which is an evergreen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.