Best LED ZEPPELIN studio album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ACK!, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

They are all great records, but this time I voted for IV.

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Agreed. There is something about the sound of II that just gets to me. Page got some nice reverbs and echos on that record.

3. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

I like them all especially LZ II.
    My vote goes to the first album entitled LED ZEPPLIN.....Dazed and Confused, Good Times Bad Times (just that opening E chord and the riffs in that are incredible as what was still to come from this band).:nauga: :nauga:

4. III for me. Just my favourite, that's all!

5. butch

butch Senior Member

I have grown to appreciate Graffiti in my old age,but ever since my wayward youth I have loved Presence.It is a brutal album in the best sense of the word.No acoustic guitar diddling,no spacey keyboards or grandiose orchestras,it's just Zep in all its glory.The grooves on Achilles Last Stand and Hots for Nowhere show off the heart and soul of Led Zeppelin:Jonesy and Bonzo.I think that this is the zenith of Page's playing,especially on Achilles.From the funky Royal Orleans to the blues from Mars track,Tea for One,this album hits the right spot.

6. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

First Album...

Great stuff!!!

7. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I remember that day at a friend's house down in Cheshunt, maybe 1973. I'd just told him how rubbish I thought his Led Zeppelin was. Then I was caught red handed tapping my foot in time with Misty Mountain Hop. It wasn't long before I bought their first four.

I haven't listened to them since having gotten How The West Was Won DVD-Video. What an incredible live band!.

8. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

"Houses" rocks all the way through! It is consistant all the way through.

9. shakti

shakti Senior Member

IV for me. After all these years (actually, it's only been with me for 8 or 9 years, I'm still only 26) it still sounds fresh, Stairway or not. After that, it would probably be #3 (what's up with its current weak showing?) and then #1 and Physical Graffitti. I never warmed that much to Houses of the Holy (IMHO their most indulgent and pretentious album), and II does sort of sound like a parody of I (like Steve H. said)...except the riffs are so awesome it doesn't matter. Physical could have been #1 if it weren't for the filler on disc 2. One of the great double albums that would have been better as a single disc (one guess as to which is the other...no, it ain't Exile...).

10. stever

stever Senior Member

Hard rock/heavy metal -- however you want to label it -- doesn't get any crunchier than LZ II.

11. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I voted IV...but II is SO darned close. Nearly a tie for me. III and I would follow closely on their heels. IV was the first Led Zep I owned, around 1985 or so, and I didn't get anything else until the 4-CD box set followed by the 2-CD "completer" set. I've since taken the tracks and burned my own CDs putting the tracks in album order, which is an interesting change from what I'm used to.

12. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member Thread Starter

You are missing, however, the cross-fade between "Your Time Is Gonna Come" into "Black Mountain Side" on the first album, unless you used software to simulate that.

13. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

For me it's Physical Graffiti. My favorite LZ song is on their as well, The Rover. And who could not like Trampled Under Foot or Kashmir.

Just a great set.

14. butch

butch Senior Member

You forgot probably the best album opener of all time,Custard Pie!!!ONly joking,BUT what an album Graffiti is from that cover and the inner sleeves to the actual songs themselves.As I've said earlier,this one has grown in esteem throughout the years to my ears.I still don't like it as much as Presence,but it's up there.

15. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Had to vote for "Houses" - not a clunker of a track on it! But a close second for me would have to be "Grafitti" since it seems like the only one that hasn't been played to death on classic-rock radio (well, apart from "Presence", but that's just a flat-out weird album!) and therefore I can stand listening to it! (plus, if I'm correct, Bonzo would be thumping those cool Vistalite drums on both "Houses" and "Grafitti"!)

----- Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.