Best live albums from the 60s and 70s for sound quality?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

Performance wise it's great (from my recollection) but to hear performances from 40-50 years ago in brilliant quality is what excites me, particularly if they were great upon original release (ie. AAA)

2. Harvest Your Thoughts

I imagine so. Though it seems to be somewhat 'forgotten' from what I've seen... (maybe the sound quality is the reason why!) It was one of the first triple albums, so at least it had that going for it.

3. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Viva! Roxy Music sounds terrific to me - a very immediate, in your face recording. Even though it has some overdubs and fixing, it still gives a great indication of what Roxy sounded like in concert. The version of "If There Is Something" is one of the best Roxy tracks ever.

Tommy Jay, Chris Schoen and hi_watt like this.
  4. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I have Waiting For Columbus on CD and though the music is really great the sound quality isn't.

chrisblower likes this.
  5. David Ellis

I have an original record of Yessongs and I must admit the sound quality is abysmal.

chrisblower likes this.
  6. David Ellis

For me one of the best 60/70s live albums is Johnny Winter And Live. I have a vinyl original. Play it loud on a good system. Rock and rollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll:D

GerryO and weaselone like this.
  7. Harvest Your Thoughts

He's just ageless, isn't he? (Perhaps he's always looked old!)

I'm going to track down this one...

8. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Respectfully, I have the vinyl and the CD and Deluxe Editions and I couldn't disagree with you more. The problem with the original CD is they didn't include everything on it. Which was a joke in itself.

9. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I have the vinyl and bought the fatboy CD, hoping for better quality. The vinyl to me is better, but by no means close to good. I disagree because there are many better recordings than this in the 70's. Throw it in with On Your Feet or On Your Knees - Blue Oyster Cult and ELP's Welcome Back and you have the trifecta for bad live recordings in the 70's. Just my opinion........

vegafleet likes this.
  10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Do those sound more or less like the HDCD version that's up on YouTube? What's so terrible about it?

11. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Sorry, I can't tell anything from You Tube. I can't help you there. But it is mushy, no separation of instruments etc. No high end at all. Now if you like that, it might be for you. I can crank my vinyl and it still has a lot of those same qualities. It is just one man's opinion. You like what you like........

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Do you mean you didn't listen?

I don't hear any problems with it being mushy or having no separation. The mixes seem to vary a bit from song to song, but your description doesn't seem to match what's on that HDCD issue at all.

13. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Yes, I have listened. I don't know how you can equate something coming out of You Tube or streaming of that with a decent stereo system playing the vinyl. Yes, the mix does sound different at times. Henceforth my point. You like it, I don't. I have explained. You don't see it. We just disagree.........kind of sounds like Dave Mason...........:D

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The point is that I'm not hearing any of the issues you describe in that YouTube video. There's no lack of high end, and the CD it is sourced from would only be better in that regard. It isn't as if the YouTube processing would make it sound *better*. So yes, in this case, the video is a perfectly reasonable source of comparison.

Opinions can differ, but "No high end at all" isn't an opinion. I asked how the video compares because I haven't heard the other versions. If they sound significantly different, then I might agree. But what I'm hearing sounds fine, lossy compression aside. There don't seem to be any issues with separation or high end.

quicksrt likes this.
  15. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Cliff In Japan 1967. Cliff Richard with the Norrie Paramour Orchestra. Sublime.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  16. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Really, isn't an opinion? Like, crash of symbols or snap of drum stick on a snare drum or pluck of an acoustic? That is the clarification I am talking about. I don't get that on the vinyl. If you think it sounds better on You Tube, I suggest you go for it. I'm sorry my point wasn't as clear as I was trying to make it.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't know if it sounds better on YouTube, because I haven't heard the vinyl. That's why I asked how it compares.

But, no, I don't think "No high end at all" is an opinion, I think it's a statement of fact.

18. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Frampton Comes Alive! (the exclamation point is not mine...)

Zepmansam likes this.
  19. GRC

GRC Senior Member

Here's a forum thread regarding Yessongs.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/yessongs-best-cd.263635/

20. Quark

Quark Forum Resident

Bob Marley and The Wailers - Live!

This sounds like you've found the audio sweet spot in the venue. It also has the right amount of ambience to re-enforce that feeling. It's also a cracking album to boot!

Figbert likes this.
  21. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Rick Nelson - In Concert at the Troubadour, 1969

weaselone likes this.
  22. Zepmansam

Zepmansam Forum Resident

Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore in 24.96 sounds
    Led Zeppelin - How the West Was One a good one too.

23. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

the zeppelin wasn't from the 60's or 70's

24. Zepmansam

Zepmansam Forum Resident

Performance was 1972 recording remixed/remastered and issued in 2003. If criteria for this thread is recordings released back then, I agree the Zep album doesnt count.

25. Zepmansam

Zepmansam Forum Resident

Original Woodstock recordings. Maybe not technically the best, but Eddie Kramer did a pretty fine job as sound engineer. Vibe of Woodstock is ever present on the original vinyl release imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.