Best New Albums of 2017 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Listening to it now, and it's incredibly good.
    For those interested, this is a collaboration between British folk singer Olivia Chaney (she is seriously awesome:love:) and The Decemberists.

mr_spenalzo, zphage and Alan57 like this.
  2. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

First album is a little noisier and even more emotionally intense. It's great.

Arkay_East and noname74 like this.
  3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

What he said!

Arkay_East likes this.
  4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

After spending the day living with the new Public Service Broadcasting album, "Every Valley"(thanks again @LivingForever), I don't think a better album will come out this year, at least for me. This is a tremendously deep, diverse, and touching work that rewards each additional listen, and I couldn't know less about the subject matter (the strife of Welsh coal miners). And this is with the new Foster The People album dropping on Friday, which judging from some of the leaked songs will be their best yet.

Sadcafe, deany76 and LivingForever like this.
  5. cacaaaaaaw

cacaaaaaaw Forum Resident

Sax and drums anyone?

Binker and Moses - Journey To The Mountain Of Forever

[​IMG]

scompton and strymeow like this.
  6. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

It’s a bit too early to pick a favorite from 2017, but I’m highly anticipating Steven Wilson’s To The Bone album which will be released next month. Fingers are crossed that it’ll be good as good as his previous solo albums.

7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

A winning combination for me. I'll check it out. Binker and Moses looks familiar but I'm not sure from where.

8. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

John Zorn ‎– Midsummer Moons

Julian Lage, Gyan Riley guitars. A wonderful guitar duo album. I'm sure this will be near the top of my favorite albums this year.

[​IMG]

Horse Majeure and iwokeinrelief like this.
  9. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

I would now add Country Joe McDonald's 50....an album very much of its time, but I doubt it will date itself

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  10. brownsugah

brownsugah Forum Resident

Flower Boy by Tyler, The Creator is dope. It's definitely his best work to date.
    Lust For Life by Lana Del Rey was cool, but I need to give it a few more listens to see if it grows on me.

2xUeL likes this.
  11. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

If you're into Prog...

The Tangent - The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery.

Fantastic!

calgary669 likes this.
  12. Davey

Davey NP: Bruce Brubaker ~ Eno Piano (2023)

The Quietus best new albums of 2017 list is out for the first half of the year, and as usual with lists from The Quietus, I'm left feeling woefully out of touch, maybe even moreso than usual. But there are some really good ones near the top I can vouch for, especially the Jane Weaver Modern Kosmology at #3, right up there near the top for me too. And GNOD at #5 is a rip-roaring good plate of rock fun, with a side order of politics. Someone here mentioned the #1 pick before, Richard Dawson Peasant, and I gave it a listen back then and kind of liked it, but not entirely, I like the style of music, actually quite a bit, but I guess the vocals just didn't work very well with me. Revisiting it now, and still don't quite like it, but actually I think it is growing on me just a little, I might have to give it a few more listens...

The Quietus | Features | Quietus Charts | The Best Albums Of 2017 Thus Far - And A Quietus Appeal For Help

13. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I own 13 of those including one that came out today. I assume the got a preview copy. There are 10 more in my bandcamp wish list and I've streamed around 20 more that I don't like.

Listening to the top album now, Richard Dawson - Peasant. The first track is great. Second track just started and it's completely different.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  14. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Quietus is definitely an esoteric list. Just scrolling through, I own one, am probably gonna buy a couple more and there are 5-6 I have not heard yet but plan to check out.

15. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

I keep coming back to this again and again.

Colin M likes this.
  16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Emptyset - Borders

One of the ones from the Quietus list. It's towards the end of their list but I'd put it much higher. This is pretty heavy music. It's a duo that play a home made six string, zither like, bass instrument and drums, with lots of effects and some electronics.

I don't know why so many bands aren't putting their name or the album name on the cover.

[​IMG]

Borders, by Emptyset

17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Justin Walter - Unseen Forces

Another from the Quietus list. This one's number 6. Most of the music is performed on a wind controlled analog synth and entirely improvised. He also plays some trumpet and piano. This is much mellower than the Emptyset album.

[​IMG]

Unseen Forces, by JUSTIN WALTER

BaDaBen likes this.
  18. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

New to me, but then I discovered it's like Jerry's use of the MIDI via electric guitar; which either horrified or enlightened Deadheads. Again, an informative thread for more than mere discovery of new music. Thanks for posting all!/K

Wind controller - Wikipedia

19. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Also really like the new public service broadcasting album, existential beast by Miranda lee Richards. Algiers new album has grown on me but there is a few tunes on their still that I am not 100% keen on. Though technically not new (2015) have been listening to the funk revivialists Lettuce. With kids do not get the same time to listen to music as I would like so still quite a few albums I want to catch up on.

20. Freedom Rider

Just heard Nicole Watkins' Goodnight Rhonda Lee, and I'm blown away! The way this album transported me back in time without once sounding cheesy or forced is breathtaking. Fantastic voice, great production and songwriting.:righton:

zphage and strymeow like this.
  21. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to getting that. I loved Neptune City. The 2 records Nicole did after that didn't really do it for me, but I've been reading nothing but praise for Goodnight....

22. Freedom Rider

It's really, really good. This is the first album I've heard by her, and it got me curious about her previous work. I will definitely check out Neptune City.:thumbsup:

23. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Nick Cave meets Alex Cameron meets Twin Peaks S03

JL6161 likes this.
  24. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Oh, and here's the new single from Al Cam!

JL6161 and noname74 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.