Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

£15 on Amazon for the 2LP cut at Optimal = Easy decision for me! :D

2. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Lost in translation

Squiggsy68 and ramdom like this.
  3. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

My first impression was that it started surprisingly well but had gotten a bit too Oasis by the end. Worth persevering with you think?

4. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I ordered the ltd edition (500) band edition on the day it was announced and really loved the lead single. I’m a big fan of the previous two albums, having both on vinyl, so for me it was a no brainier! It’s been a few years since the last one because their recording space was hit by a devestaiting flood, the anguish of which is reflected in the track Boxing Day. I think they raised funds to re-fit it via crowd funding. This album is a departure (pleasant!) from their previous efforts in that ebbs and flows more and they’ve bared their souls a lot more. It’s a shame if you’ve spent money on it and aren’t feeling it, personally I don’t blind buy anything unless it’s an artist I know I like and even then it can be a risk.

ramdom likes this.
  5. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

It was for me, I streamed it at first and thought a couple were catchy, after a few more listens I liked it enough to order the vinyl. I didn’t think of Oasis, I do think there’s a Happy Monday’s groove through ‘Friction’ though. For me I initially thought I’d only really play the first side as it seemed a lot stronger, happy to say it’s been getting played right through.

Robert C likes this.
  6. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Ha HA! point taken. But 'back-in-the-day' I used to buy albums for their cover art, song lengths & titles, associated musicians and dozens of other esoteric criteria – always taking a chance, discovering new music, expanding horizons. Thanks again for the instruction!

7. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Having only discovered Talk Talk in the last couple of years, I’m very much liking this after a few tracks, thanks!

8. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

On the Lo Moon, I love the "Talk Talk meets Peter Gabriel" vibe of the first two tracks. But after those, it starts feeling less inspired and sort of same-y to me. Perhaps some repeat listens will change my perception.I'm so glad we have Spotify now--in the past I would have rushed to buy this on the strength of "Loveless." Now I'll give it a few listens before making a decision either way. Still have to check out the Virginia Wing and a few other recommendations here--I've been on more of a jazz kick as of late.

mschrist and englishbob like this.
  9. Frank

Frank Senior Member

What a juggernaut of post-punk tinged melodic expansive indie rock greatness. Unbridled energy start to finish:

New Jersey's own...

Screaming Females - All at Once

[​IMG]

I just listened to this album through, and I can't even write anything, because I want to listen to it again. The most exciting release of 2018 so far for me by a mile. It's like WDRE came back from the dead for an hour (locals of a certain age know what I mean).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    npc210, Robert C, mschrist and 2 others like this.
  10. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Heard this last night and enjoyed it very much. It instantly reminded me of Alvvays, so I googled it, and bang! It turned out it was produced by the same person who has worked as an engineer on Alvvays' records.

So I guess if you liked Antisocialites, you're probably gonna like this one, too.

Laibach and mschrist like this.
  11. Moth

Moth fluttering by

12. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I’ve listened to this one cut but also to two earlier albums and I’m now looking forward to this also due to your recommendation

Robert C likes this.
  13. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Excellent! There is also Hutchings' work with The Ancestors and The Comet is Coming to check out. All in good time :D

14. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Also on La Saboteuse by Yazz Ahmed that made a pretty big splash around here last year.

mschrist and Robert C like this.
  15. NorthNY Mark

I think I actually meant to say Lake Ruth instead of Virginia Wing in the last post. I ended up checking out both of them last night and enjoyed them very much. I'd already heard the Virginia Wing (a late 2017 release), but this time it made more of an impression--i can see why Davey compared it to Exploded View. The Lake Ruth was really interesting, in a lighter, more baroque pop-influenced way. The vocalist reminded me of the vocalist from the very first Hooverphonic album, and the music had a distinctly Euro-retro feel, sometimes reminding me of Air's Moon Safari in its use of analogue synth textures.

16. rogsherwood

rogsherwood Forum Resident

Gorgeous album.

LarsO likes this.
  17. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Yes.

18. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Checking them out now on Tidal and am enjoying it. They definitely know their C86.

Freedom Rider likes this.
  19. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Hmm, I don't remember comparing the Virginia Wing / XAM Duo record to Exploded View, but they both do have some kosmische influences (especially on the VW debut), and sometimes after a few beers I do make some seemingly odd connections. VW has moved more into the electronica side, and some of that spiritual jazz on this latest one with the XAM Duo guys, but I like them both a lot so they do have that in common :)

Edit: a quick search makes me think it was the F Ingers Awkwardly Blissing Out EP (Carla Dal Forno's band) that I compared to Exploded View, but it's all probably inter-related in some ways, and we had kind of a running conversation in that end of 2017 thread with a bunch of back and forth recommendations, all pretty fun stuff with a lot of nice records mentioned along the way ... What are your top 10 albums of 2017?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  20. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Screaming Females - All at Once, in places it sounds like Black Mountain

Robert C, Mintsauce and Frank like this.
  21. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

H.C. McEntire - LIONHEART

Gagnedouze, glewes and noname74 like this.
  22. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Well, dang it, this description just sold me on picking up a copy. Thanks a lot!

ralphb likes this.
  23. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Just started listening to this, and it's all kinds of awesome. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

Robert C, mschrist and Frank like this.
  24. NorthNY Mark

Sorry--I was just going from faulty memory! Now I'm remembering a bit better--after your description I was expecting something a bit more overtly jazzy from the Virginia Wing/XAM Duo, I think. I actually did experience it similarly to Exploded View in how jaded, retro, mysterious, and European it all sounds, but without ever getting into the goth-y side of things that some similar groups/artists do.

Davey likes this.
  25. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

That Lo Moon record is just TOO MUCH like Talk Talk I'm afraid, for my liking. A couple of tracks in just made we want to listen to Talk Talk, I think Lo Moon went a bit too far in.