Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

BD2665 and Record Rotator like this.
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Record Rotator likes this.
  3. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

:tiphat:

4. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Those that enjoyed Starting Today should also check out The Shakedown by jazz flautist, Tenderlonious. A sprawling set of fusion-era Miles inspired jams. Tenderlonious was behind 2017's two Ruby Rushton EPs.

[​IMG]

5. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Here’s an ambient album that I found this year and has gotten good reviews by the people at rate... It’s got some interesting things happening. Of course, Narkopop (‘17) by Gas was wonderful, too.

6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Cool thanks for the heads up. I picked up all of the Ruby Rushton albums based on a recommendation in the 2017 thread (probably from you?).

Robert C likes this.
  7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

cv313 is part of the Echospace world....some amazing albums on that label. If you want to check some out here is the album that got me into the label: Review: Intrusion - The Seduction of Silence

Ironclaw likes this.
  8. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

This is a dreamy and mellow jazz album by Scotland’s Hampshire and Foat. It’s titled Galaxies like Grains of Sand. It is AAA (entirely analogue) release.

Thanks for the heads up, noname74. Going to add that to the ‘to hear’ list.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Beamish13, ELBEAVERINO and Dayfold like this.
  9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Probably! Those two mini-albums/EPs are amongst my favourites from 2017. I saw Ruby Rushton live earlier this year, they were incredible. Much more energetic than on record. I'm off to Tenderlonious' album launch this Friday, cannot wait!

10. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I love this record. Warm, familiar jazz sounds put together into strange, unfamiliar pop songs. Instantly appealing and welcoming, but weird and remote at the same time. The first track, which has a good groove and is only slightly "off", kind of tricks you into getting comfortable before the record gets more unusual later on. Nice listening.

Gaslight and Robert C like this.
  11. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I played this one at work and it put me right into a flow state ("in the zone"). Super-ambient. Great.

ELBEAVERINO likes this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Thanks and another album to sample! :)

13. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Thanks Ralphb for bringing this to my attention. :righton:

There is a long article in month's Uncut magazine in the UK so I had been reading about them before I head their music.

Have downloaded to my Apple Music account today and now on the third play through, this will be going on my CD buying list for sure. I was in HMV today with my wife and picked up the CD but I had already bought Johnny Marr and another couple of albums this weekend so I got a withering look and put it back (for now). :whistle:

It's not groundbreaking but it's really good. There's one thing that gets on my goat about this forum, is the cry that there is nothing new that is any good. Rubbish, there is plenty of good new music and it's easier than ever to try it all out.

14. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Man, I stumbled across a lot to love for the Rock / Indie Rock lovers these past few weeks. (I'm greatly aided by being someone who mostly ignores lyrical intent and focuses on music, style, production, and feel. Could be about love or your dead mother or you hate the world - doesn't matter to me if you fill my earholes with good sounds.)

Vundabar - Smell Smoke:
    [​IMG]
    Pitchfork says:
    ===
    Smell Smoke is dynamic and riveting, a guitar-forward mosaic that pieces jagged edges of art rock, math rock, punk rock, and pop together. Its instrumentation carried out by Hagen, assisted by drummer Drew McDonald and bassist Grayson Kirtland, emphasizes lyrical complexity and vocal bungee jumping. Lead single “Acetone” reckons with repressed emotions that fractures the self and come back with legs of their own. “There’s nothing that’s poetic about a bedsore,” Hagen asserts on the opening of “Harvest,” before desHeart Swell - Dott | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic cending into a scene about flies feasting on aged fruits’ rotting flesh. A phantom sigh from background organs creates a vulnerable atmosphere for Hagen’s storytelling.
    ===

Gin Blossoms - Mixed Reality:

IMAGE REMOVED BECAUSE FOR SOME REASON I'M ONLY ALLOWED 5

Took me two listens to fall into these guys' rhythm again, but when I did I wound up taking just about every track for my playlist.

You gotta respect guys who know who they are and just do what they do. They're not trying to innovate. You could plop this down in 1998 and it would be just as comfortable there. Yet, it doesn't sound tired. It sounds experienced.

Animal Flag - Void Ripper:
    [​IMG]
    Bummer Blog Says:
    ===
    The folk and alt-country tendencies of LP are gone, replaced with a moodier, heavier sound that better suits the album’s somber tone. The introductory lull of “Morningstar” gives way to the most ferocious guitar work Politoski and Sai Boddupalli have ever put to tape – if LP‘s finale “Cathedrals” had left any doubt, the thunderous “Void Ripper” is definitive proof that Animal Flag is a rock band. “Candace” is the heaviest track in the band’s catalog, a pummeling, distorted burst of post-hardcore. It would’ve been unthinkable two years ago that Animal Flag would could write a song this aggressive, but that only makes it all the more impressive. The album’s six-minute centerpiece is its absolute finest moment, though. “Fair” begins as a rock and roll song only to bloom into a crushing post-rock epic halfway through. Its bass-heavy outro demonstrates that the band hasn’t forgotten when to let songs breathe, though, and all the parts combine to create one of the band’s best songs.
    ===

Welles - Red Trees and White Trashes:
    [​IMG]
    Kind of a cheat, because half of the tracks were on his EP Codeine last year.

NPR Says:
    ===
    At only 23, Wells is already writing hooks that any of his heroes would envy. In Nashville he's found bandmates who can take his vision past what he could do in Fayetteville's coffee houses and backyards. The sound on this album is huge, putting Welles in the same league as the smart bands reviving rock's mainstream right now, like Royal Blood and Greta Van Fleet. Produced by Beau Boggs (who's known for his work with Nashville mavericks from Jamey Johnson to Natalie Prass) and Bobby Emmett, with three tracks helmed by Dave Cobb (reminding the world here that he started his ascent as a producer in a rock band of his own), Red Trees and White Trashes has the heft and complexity to likely earn a few Grammy nominations; but it's also obvious that Wells will always be comfortable in some dirty rock and roll kitchen where, as he says in one song, "everyone's kinda ugly in that way that looks pretty," girls in blue bobs are smoking something illegal, and somebody's turned the amp up to 10 on the other side of the screen door. "It's just summer again," Wells cries as the bass line creeps like a snake in the grass. "Giving it away to the night life trend all again." Giving it away to the thing that gives it all to you: rock and roll.
    ===

Deaf Poets - Change & Bloom:
    [​IMG]
    That Music Mag says:
    ===
    The duo’s latest release, Change & Bloom is their first proper EP after the release of their sophomore album Lost in Magic City just last year. It’s heavy yet neatly produced with a buffed out sheen on the vocals and drums to magnify their presence against the sludgy feedback of the guitar. Even in a two-person outfit, it’s easy enough for one or the other to get swallowed. An equilibrium throughout the three parts is an achievement in itself.
    ===

Dott - Heart Swell:
    [​IMG]
    All Music says:
    Irish quartet Dott returned with a second album that mostly follows the girl group/noise pop template they laid out on their charming debut album, Swoon. Like Swoon, the band's focus on Heart Swell is on the powerful, heartbreakingly clear vocals of Anna McCarthy. She could sing just about anything and make it sound like an urgent message from the angels, and when the songs are a match -- like they often were on the debut -- the music lifts off and takes flight. There are plenty of moments on Heart Swell that do exactly that. There are songs that have bright-as-a-new-light-bulb melodies ("Not Sorry"), gently swaying ballads that are as warm as a lingering cuddle ("18"), sweet summer pop songs with handclaps and swooning vocal harmonies ("Swim"), and at least one song that comes across like a lost chart-topping single from 1993 (the mighty "Bleached Blonde"). These moments would have all fit nicely on Swoon and been highlights. Unfortunately, while 90 percent of the album is a fine follow-up, when they expand the formula a little bit, things get a little dicey.

Horse Majeure and cgw like this.
  15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Machiventa and Horse Majeure like this.
  16. thepigdog

thepigdog Music and beer

Pharis and Jason Romero "Sweet Old Religion".

17. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Maybe it would be a good idea to write a word or two about why you like it or why others among us might? Or what kind of music it is. Or - anything?

Johnny Reb and Robert C like this.
  18. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Looking forward to hearing Skellington 3 by Julian Cope. Anyone here heard it?

Also keen to hear You Never Were Much of a Dancer by Gwenifer Raymond.

19. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Just want to send another echo of praise for the rolling blackouts record. Playing daily and I think it's my favorite so far of the year. Learned about it here thx!

The Shannon minus clams imo is good songs but maybe a little too shiny and produced? That's my own personal taste prolly though....

20. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

Either of you guys checked out the Hello Skinny and Alfa Mist albums from last year.....both great too

Horse Majeure and ELBEAVERINO like this.
  21. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

Janelle Monae Dirty Computer, fabulous album.
    [​IMG]

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Je Suis Un Ile" by Halo Maud is a very good album and should be checked out by people into Broadcast, Stereolab, Jane Weaver, Virginia Wing!

noname74 likes this.
  23. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Now that’s what I call music 2018:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Horse Majeure likes this.
  24. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out :)

talkingh likes this.
  25. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Really enjoyed Gang Gang Dance's new album Kazuashita.:thumbsup:

Hypnotic, experimental, sonically adventurous indie pop with ambient/shoegaze vibes.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018