Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Fourteen people in the Greta Van Fleet thread. One person in this thread. Wtf. :targettiphat:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    scotth, No Bull and pathosdrama like this.
  2. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Demographics, whatchagonnado?

Machiventa likes this.
  3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Neneh Cherry - Broken Politics. Might be her best and I've been listening to her since Rip Rig and Panic days.
    John Grant - Love Is Magic. All in with the synths, and still acerbic as ever. The title song is a wonderful earworm.
    There are threads on both these albums.

LivingForever, sonci and pathosdrama like this.
  4. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Definitely the best album title of the year. (Nice song too.)

5. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

ghostnotes, Machiventa and PanaPlasma like this.
  6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Just got around to listening to it yesterday and I agree, I am really digging her revisiting these songs so quickly and keeping the songs fresh with new interpretations.

It definitely is very cool to see artists do stuff like this where you can tell it is driven by the passion of the songs they write above all

Freedom Rider likes this.
  7. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I'm still partial to the new Half Man Half Biscuit album title: No One Cares About Your Creative Hub, So Get Your ****in' Hedge Cut.

fitzrik, Jarra Lad and JL6161 like this.
  8. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Of your suggestions I've only had a chance to listen to this one so far and it is very good. Thanks for that.

Northwind and Ironclaw like this.
  9. RockOnSon

RockOnSon Well-Known Member

Wheres the Greta Van Fleet thread?

10. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Posting"why aren't more people paying attention to XX band?" sounds like a whiny complaint.
    I think that it is boorish behavior to taunt the thread as if it isn't cool enough.
    (Maybe trying to claim cool points?)
    Most posters haven't promoted over 1,000 best albums of the year, this year.
    Is it just a clandestine album promoter?

11. Cherrycherry

Search "Greta" and you will easily find four or more threads on them.

12. Cherrycherry

I am so glad that I picked up a copy of this album after hearing about it here.
    As already mentioned, initial listen took a bit of adjustment to their Audio treatments, but wow! Really like it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    mschrist, Neonbeam and BlueTrane like this.
  13. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

The new debut from The Other Years (Anna Krippenstapel and Heather Summers... fiddle, guitar, banjo, and two voices) is really nice if you are a fan of Joan Shelley (Anna is the fiddle player in Joan's band) and Gillian Welch, maybe a bit of Freakwater (Anna also plays with Freakwater) and Will Oldham (they're touring with him). Old time music with a bit of cosmic wonder bubbling under the surface.

Ironclaw likes this.
  14. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

I'm enjoying a lot the new album by David Nance (now David Nance Group), Peaced and Slightly Pulverized.

Sounds a bit like a cross between golden age Crazy Horse and the Velvets. The guitar work on In Her Kingdom is just epic.

15. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

Yes, just when I thought no more good new music, I like this two on the first listen..

ralphb and Spaceboy like this.
  16. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Tamino - Amir

Jesus Jeronimo likes this.
  17. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

It nearly destroyed my speakers in the car the other day, mind you. It requires attenuating the bass by about 4-5 notches.

FYI - I do not have a banging sub in my boot.

mschrist, Jarra Lad and Cherrycherry like this.
  18. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

Fantastic record. Easily in my top 5 of the year.

mschrist likes this.
  19. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Never heard of these guys until now and I'm loving it. Great stoner rock. Thanks.

20. brock

brock Forum Resident

This is quite awesome. Thank for the headsup! :agree:

21. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Heilung - Lifa

speedracer, jimhb and Ironclaw like this.
  22. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

23. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

My buddy Istvan of Black Hill (Hungary) has formed a new atmospheric black metal band. It’s quite innovative as the guitar tones he uses are liquid and shimmering, quite uncommon to metal, and distinctly his. This is excellent dreamscapes of metal, which has guttural vocals and bass work, too.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Terrapin Station likes this.
  24. noddin0ff

noddin0ff Petty Opinionator Third Class

Not a bad listen. IDLES gets me more excited, but there's some satisfaction here. More blunt with the angry lyrics.
    [​IMG]

Drowned in Sound's review seem accurate:
    "Despite this newfound life, on the whole Digital Garbage doesn’t deviate from the classic Mudhoney sound. The one, two punch of ‘Paranoid Core’ and ‘Please Mr. Gunman’ could’ve fallen right off the back of a lost Stooges record. The sort of Stooges record Iggy might have made if he’d sacked off James Williamson after Raw Power and brought in Johnny Ramone, just for a laugh.

In fact, with each and every passing album the group seem to be slowly morphing into the best Iggy Pop cover band in the world. That’s not a dig. Quite the opposite. It’s arguably the highest praise a band can receive. Even the worst Iggy covers band is 80 percent better than every other band. It’s a scientific fact. Look it up"

ON BANDCAMP

No Bull and DPK like this.
  25. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

A couple more:
    How To Dress Well - The Anteroom. More emphasis on noise/sound than pop this time, but as a whole piece it works very well at blending his experimental and pop oriented sides. Tunes like "Body Fat" and "Nonkilling 6" are freakin' gorgeous pop tunes, and there's room for dancing.
    Cloud Nothings - Last Building Burning. Dylan Baldi does rage better than anyone this side of Kurt Cobain. Four albums in and the attack is still seething but sharp and taught, even the 10 minute "Dissolution" uses it's time wisely, excellent songwriting to boot. This is a great band, playing off each other with a terrific sense of dynamics.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018