Best New TT for $1500 (2015)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by chargrove, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm leaning very heavily towards a VPI Scout Jr. w/ Ortofon RED.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

You will get opinions on the red.

My sense? Look at Clearaudio and Sota. Also, do I know you? Fort Worth and publishing says the odds are pretty high.

3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Id rather spend the money on a higher end model from one brand, than a lower end model from another brand.

That's just how i've always tried to make purchases, regardless if its a car or a microwave

Rolltide, bru87tr and CARPEYOLO like this.
  4. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Rega RP3 with an Exact 2...

81828384, rischa and sportzdad like this.
  5. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident Thread Starter

That is a good point and I understand what you mean.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  6. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

After owning an RP3, Scout, and Perspex, I would lean towards the ProJect Experience and either the Sumiko Blue Point2 or the 2M Blue at the 1500 point. The Experience in Mahogany is a beautiful deck and I like the Project arms a lot.
    [​IMG]

7. russk

russk Forum Resident

I'd go with an RP6. Not a fan of VPI till you hit the classic series, but I should say I haven't heard the Prime. If you can afford a little more grab a Technodec if you don't need a cover. My personal opinion on SOTA is that the real ones that follow their original design philosophy start over 2k and you are looking at closer 3k for their suspended table with their good platter and motor and a Rega arm. Really nice table though.

8. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

The Scout is a fine table, and will bring you many hours of listening pleasure.

black sheriff likes this.
  9. RP 6 $1500. Yeah more w cart. Well worth it.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  10. russk

russk Forum Resident

I got my RP6 delivered for a little over 1500 with a 2m Blue. Killer sounding table and a dust cover too

ls35a and Ntotrar like this.
  11. David B.

David B. Forum Resident

There are some excellent suggestions above -- many of which I've heard and liked.

That said . . .

$1,500 will get you into a Vinyl Nirvana VN-150 or TD-160 Super Reproduction, each with a Rega arm. As an added bonus, you'll get to deal with the most-excellent proprietor of Vinyl Nirvana, Dave Archambault. Dave also sells cartridges, so he can recommend something suitable in your price range, and if you buy from him, he will mount and align it for no additional charge.

If and when you desire, and finances permit, there is a rich upgrade path available for either of the Vinyl Nirvana tables: motor options, tonearm upgrades, better cartridges, platter mats, etc. Either way, you will have a TT that is made of real wood and real metal, performs right up there with the best available in its price range, has stood the test of time, and can be passed down to future generations.

There is a thread on this Forum wherein our host, Mr. Hoffman, praises the Vinyl Nirvana TD-160 Super Reproduction, albeit with a more expensive arm and cartridge (SME and Ortofon Black) than will come with the table at the $1,500 price point. But still, I recommend you take a look at that thread, and at the Vinyl Nirvana website (www.vinylnirvana.com), before pulling the trigger on a TT in this price range.

--David B.

12. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Scout Jr or RP6. Both are very nice tables at this price point.

Really impressed with how good the Scout JR and Red sound.

Ntotrar likes this.
  13. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

The Exact 2 is a lot more cart than a Blue, but it's also $600.

Ntotrar and Long Live Analog like this.
  14. russk

russk Forum Resident

Do you have the Exact? I really want to try one out but all the bad word of mouth gives me pause, plus the Blue sounds so good.

15. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I would think the Blue would compete more with the Elys2. I had an Elys2 that came with my RP3 and it was my least favorite cart ever. Sorry if you have one and it worked for you, but for me it simply distorted everything past about half way into the side. Maybe it was alignment, but I was unable to correct it.

IanL likes this.
  16. russk

russk Forum Resident

Yeah I found the Elys 2 to be boomy and muddy. Wasn't a fan

17. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Had the Exact 2 and enjoyed it very much, IME a much better cart than the Blue, but again, 3x the price.
    IMHO, the Exact is the only Rega MM worth getting.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  18. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Another vote for the Rega RP6 Exact combo...

19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

If you want to upgrade carts at a later date go with your first impression.
    If you want to set it and forget it go with something rega

beowulf likes this.
  20. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

First thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread, The VN guy is the bomb. I drool over his decks. I so want a 124 with a sme.

21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

22. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Pro-Ject ain't bad for the money. You're not gonna get something like a Transrotor for $1500, so that Pro-Ject table fits the bill pretty well.

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Go Vinyl Nirvana or get a VPI, Sota, or a Gyrodec. Life's too short for lesser.

24. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

25. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

What a great table. Mate this with the same cartridge and compare between the VPI and this and you won't hear a difference. Plus you save over $300 with a better cart on the Pro-Ject! Why buy a table that is just going to recommend buying more upgrades for it over one that is already at that level. A great overachiever of a table. Rega's RP6 is nice too, but I'd pick this over the Rega just for the looks. Sound wise is about the same. Not to mention the Pro-Ject and Rega tables are so much easier to setup over a VPI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.