Best Phono Stage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rhys2411, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhys2411

Rhys2411 New Member Thread Starter

I'm currently using a Cambridge Audio A4 with integrated phono stage. I soon hope to be upgrading and have heard that an external phono stage can offer some benefits. Therefore, I'm wondering which would be the best. Nothing too expensive though...

Also open to any suggestions about good quality amps Amps

2. Tombby

Tombby Forum Resident

I've been struggling with this for the last month. Last weekend I bought the Music Hall mmf5.1 w/ Ortofon's 2 m Black cart, but the phono stage quest was the hardest decision.

For me it came down to Lehmann Cube, Graham Slee, Jasmine & ifi iPhono. I'm in an extremely remote area & had to go on reviews so I decided on the iPhono.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  3. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I ended up with Heed Questar and I'm very happy with it and so are many others. About the same price as a Rega Fono.

4. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

This guy is really good: http://www.musicalfidelity.com/v90-lps/

I ran one until I got my new integrated, which being a Rega has a really kick-ass phono pre that's even better than the MF. But the MF is very solid for the money (~$200ish)

Baron Von Talbot and ggergm like this.
  5. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

I've got one of these from before the most recent update and I can't find any fault with it for the money. I'm using it with a Rega RP3 and Ortofon 2M Blue and it sounds great.

6. thommo

thommo Senior Member

As you asked specifically about phonos, I went for the Graham Slee after listening to a few and am very happy with it.

- However -

As I recall, the Cambridge Phono board isn't that bad, and I'm not sure the phono is where you'll get most benefit. If I were you, I'd be looking at a better cart, with a better tip, to be giving you more detail off the records. That way, I reckon you'll have a better chance at telling the difference between phono amps a litle further down the road.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  7. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Project Phono Box RS or Tube Box DS

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

OP you need to state a maximum budget - not too expensive can be £1000 to some people.

bluemooze and Coricama like this.
  9. cjc

cjc Senior Member

I like my Creek OBH-8SE external phono stage.,,.it's quiet and clear, not noisy/muddy like some I use to own.

10. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Creek make very good products. I have the CD player Evolution and it is excellent. Can see no reason why their Phono Stage wouldn't be good.

Baron Von Talbot likes this.
  11. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

I have a Creek OBH-15 and I feel it is a great unit.

12. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Obviously, you want something to play to the strength of your system.

The Vista Audio phono pre is getting updated cosmetics, but is popular. Jasmine, as mentioned has its fans. Also look at Lounge Audio for a LCR implementation.

I would look at what the cartridge needs, and be wary of too much gain.

13. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I really liked my Graham Slee V - it wasn't, however, as good as my favorite tube units - but it did have awesome bass control/impact, and a great detailed midrange. I would, however, fault the treble with just a bit of artificial mechanical sound and missing some of that sparkle.

Another solid-state unit I liked - a now vintage piece - was the Threshold FET-10/PC - two gain settings and switching available for impedance and capacitance. Designed by Nelson Pass, it had a nice warm sound - one of the pieces I wish I had never sold.

SandAndGlass and stax o' wax like this.
  14. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

I used a "Black Cube" for many years & was extremly please with it. When I recently deceided to upgrade, I went with a Manley Steelhead. A little on the expensive side, but to me it's the ultimate phono pre amp.

Coricama likes this.
  15. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

To a large extent getting the loading conditions matched between the phono stage and the cartridge is of vital importance. Many of the 'day and night' dfferences many people ascribe to different stagex are more to do with the loading conditions. I'd make absolutely sure any phono stage you buy allows adjustment of those parameters. The iFi Phono allows this I believe.

16. Rhys2411

Rhys2411 New Member Thread Starter

Which Phono Stage would you suggest to reduce surface noise. Some of my records have a number of snaps and pops that with my current setup appear quite loud and above the music.

17. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Questar is great, and even better with outboard power supply option.

18. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I have a Jasmine that I love. It was one of those components that bettered my system in a big way.

I was using the tubed phono section of my Juicy Music Blueberry Extreme preamp that I used to own.

Gavinyl and jupiterboy like this.
  19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

dbsea, morinix, RedRaider99 and 4 others like this.
  20. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Really? Not one of these placebo-cost-a lot toys?

How would you describe the difference?

Gavinyl likes this.
  21. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I agree with the poster above...you've just gotta state a maximum budget. There are many here who say that $15,000 will get you a barely listenable entry-level system.

22. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Graham Slee Reflex M.... Could not be happier!

Pjotr into Music likes this.
  23. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

One thing that people never discuss regarding a phono stage . What interconnect to use between P/S to amp?

24. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Not going to happen. Surface noise produced by TT and Cartridge and noisy records is going to be reproduced by all Phono stages.

Having said that if a Phono Stage does reduce surface noise, it simply means it is reducing or eliminating certain frequencies and that is undesirable.

25. JazzPolice

JazzPolice Well-Known Member

I'd like to read descriptions of the sound of the Pro-Ject Tube Box and the Grado PH-1 if anyone has heard these specific units.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.