Best post 80s Michael Jackson tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gottenbold, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I agree with your first point. But disagree on what I don't like. Come together is fine but it doesn't fit with the rest of the album as it was recorded during the Bad era. And it's not like the album was running short without it. I've never taken specific issue with the lyrics of Little Susie but also have never really cared for the song that much. When I was a kid the song actually scared me a bit. So I wouldn't listen to it. I listened to Smile probably only a handful of times since it came out. Childhood I've heard more, it was a single after all, but still not very often. I can dig most of the other songs though.

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Jackson had no less than 12 Top 5 singles in the UK post 1990. Living in the US for a large part of the 90's, my exposure was limited. Listened to today, those songs sound great. I think "Scream", "Blood on the Dance Floor" and "Ghosts" are great rocking tracks, and I don't mind the ballads (even the one with Slash). "Earth Song" was, I believe, his biggest hit in the UK and blocked the Beatles from hitting no. 1 with "Free as a Bird". Ironic, since his first two singles with the Jackson 5 knocked the last two Beatles singles out of the No. 1 spot in the US all those years ago.

3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Easy, "Stranger in Moscow".

"Scream" was pretty good as well.

After that, "Remember the Time" - although it felt more generic and like product.

I'm surprised so many people are saying "Black Or White" - really? That cut is annoying AF.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I'm glad to see someone else who likes Speechless. I think it's one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. I rediscovered the Invincible album when it was finally issued on vinyl about 3 years ago. I don't understand why it didn't do well. It's full of very good material imo. I will admit it didn't do anything for me when it was initially released.

5. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

I love "Invincible" and the demos from that time like "Escape", "Another Day", "She Was Loving Me (also known as Chicago)", "Hollywood Tonight", "Blue Gangster" etc.
    Can't understand why it failed so much.
    The album came out on vinyl in 2001 but that pressing has gone up in prices in the last years.

6. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"Earth Song" wasn't even released as an official single in the U.S. Regardless, it's a terrific song.

7. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I think there are a few reasons why Invincible failed.

It's quite well publicised that he was angry with Sony for not promoting it properly. The Record Company are usually the first the artist blames when a record doesn't sell as much as they expect. However in this case there may be some justification. MJ's previous albums were promoted over a two year period with some of the stronger songs being released as singles later in the campaign. This ensured that the album stayed in people's minds and gained attention over a long period. However because Sony appeared to be unwilling to follow this approach with Invincible, the album fell off the public radar fairly quickly.

In addition to that, although I like a lot of the album I just don't think it holds together very well. In fact in the week that I bought the album in 2001 I realised it works a lot better if you imagine it as two separate 40 minute albums by playing the uptempo songs first followed by the ballads. I have played it that way ever since.

Another reason for the failure is that compared to the previous two albums which you could perceive as concept albums, Invincible doesn't really have a lot to say in terms of a central theme. It doesn't tell us an awful lot about his life as a man in his 40's or as a parent.

Having said all that, it sold far more copies than many of the albums that critics hailed as the best albums of 2001. Comes down to how you quantify success I guess.

81531 likes this.
  8. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

The pickings aren't slim?!
    There are tons of fantastic MJ songs to choose from!

Majk and MikeVielhaber like this.
  9. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Give in to Me from the Dangerous LP is a track I enjoyed.

autumn daze and 81531 like this.
  10. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Can you post a tracklist of that please?

11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Disc 1:
    Unbreakable
    Heartbreaker
    Invincible
    You Rock My World
    2000 Watts
    Privacy
    Shout
    Threatened

Disc 2:
    Break of Dawn
    Heaven Can Wait
    Butterflies
    Speechless
    You Are My Life
    Don't Walk Away
    Cry
    The Lost Children
    Whatever Happens

12. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

This probably isn't the thread for it, but I must say Jackson's career and life after the 1980s makes me rather sad. This year would be his 60th birthday.... and it is just amazing to think of what could have been....

Sorry for any derailing.

Majk and Klen7000 like this.
  13. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Who Is It
    Give In to Me
    Will You Be There
    Remember the Time
    Heal the World
    Scream
    Stranger in Moscow
    They Don't Care About Us
    Money
    You Rock My World

autumn daze likes this.
  14. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

This looks the closest to an actual compilation that could one day come out. Dangerous alone I think had 8 charting hits so some may quibble over 'Jam' or 'In the Closet' or the one I'd add taking out one of the 'Blood on the Dance Floor' tracks - "Give in to Me". Nice choices.

15. wolfangoamedeo

wolfangoamedeo Well-Known Member

Jam
    Remember The Time
    Black or White
    Who Is It
    Will You Be There
    Scream
    They Don’t Care About Us
    Stranger In Moscow
    Earth Song
    2 Bad