Best Pressing of Pink Floyd - Animals vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jcmusic, Jun 22, 2008.

1. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am looking for what is considered to be the best sounding pressing of Pink Floyd Animals. Are the UK pressings better than the others? What about the ones from Japan? Also are first pressings considered best?

Jay

2. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

3. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Vinyl or CD?

You need to be more specific, especially with thread titles.

4. jcmusic

I am so sorry, vinyl, vinyl, and more vinyl unless it's open reel tape.

Jay

5. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I'll add vinyl to the thread title.

Animals is such a wonky sounding LP I'm not sure there is a "best" pressing out there. The US LP isn't bad compared to the other pressings I have and you should be able to find it relatively cheap. I've not heard the UK yet.

6. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

Stay far away from the Japanese pressing with the greenish OBI strip.

:hurl:

Sean, cutrX, hi_watt and 1 other person like this.
  7. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

This, for me, has been the hardest Pink Floyd title to track down in at least VG++/EX- condition. At least locally. I tend to avoid eBay when it comes to vinyl that I want in excellent condition.

Rockinrob likes this.
  8. jcmusic

Well I know where to get my hands on a few copies, just trying to find out which is best.

Jay

9. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Hmmmmm.... Why do you say that? I bought my Japanese copy right when it was released and it has that green obi. Sounds just dandy and I was going to recommend it. Did you get a bad one?

Cheers,
    Chris

10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I have a Japanese pressing I bought on Ebay. No OBI so I am unsure it's the same one. it is a quiet pressing but it sounds very flat and compressed. Maybe it's the one you refer to. Is there any other distiguishing marks on that version?

11. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

This is interesting talk regarding the JPN pressing. I have that pressing and it beats the doors off of the 2 US pressings I have (1st and 2nd pressings). My copy is open and dynamic, I really enjoy it. I am still trying to get a hold of a clean UK pressing to compare.

12. Geoman076

yep, flat and compressed is a good description. The copy I had was very bright also. Could barely listen to it. It had that "Aerosmith Draw the Line" kind of sound.

Maybe ChrisM has an earlier pressing?

cutrX likes this.
  13. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

My UK 3U/2U copy sounds excellent, much better than an early US copy I had, I've never had a JPN pressing but I would be hard pressed to believe it would beat it.

Ctiger2, McLover and funknik like this.
  14. jcmusic

I think I have found a first pressing on Harvest from the UK, I will try this one first then if need be a pressing from Japan.

Jay

15. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

What about the 1997 "remastered" vinyl?
    Any opinions on that?

16. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

This was my experience, as well. Took me years to find a decent enough copy on vinyl. I ended up with a US pressing and I'm satisfied with it.

17. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

If you happen upon the copy of it that I lost last Fall, let me know. :(

18. Geoman076

Do you mean the U.S. version with the solid red label? I have a copy, and like it a lot.

19. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have all three; a first Issue US, a first issue UK and the Japanese (along with some others). First none are bad sounding. The Japanese is more analytical and detailed with a slight rise in the top end, the UK and US are very close, the overall tone is about the same, with the UK offering more control on the bass.
    I'd say the hardest part will be finding a mint 1st issue US or UK pressing. I have heard latter pressings both US and UK and they are not good.

LitHum05 likes this.
  20. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Digital sourced stay away.

hi_watt likes this.
  21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I have a Columbia copy from either the US or Canada which I picked up new in Edinburgh a few years ago for a song (thanks to one of Fopp's branches). Nice copy; quite a decent sound from what I recall. Haven't listened to it for a while now though. I'll check the LP details and post when I have them to hand.

22. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

It's the one with the sticker cover. On a very quick listen it sounded better than my boxy sounding 2nd hand copy.

23. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

Yup, this one does sound great. Very warm and smooth- I do have to crank it up a bit, but that's OK. Much better sounding than my domestic vinyl copy. The UK LP's are tough to find in NM shape.

My Japanese vinyl with the green OBI sounds thin and compressed compared to the UK and US copies I have.

24. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

My US vinyl sounds excellent. I believe it's the second issue with a bar code on the back cover top right.

all machine stamped
    side 1
    P AL 34474-2AB
    side 2
    P AL 34474-2AC

Sean, mooseman and The Revealer like this.
  25. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I was working in a record store when it was released and I got it right when it was issued. I haven't listened to it in a while but, I don't recall any such issues with my copy.

Cheers,
    Chris