Best Pressing of Pink Floyd - Animals vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jcmusic, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I've got a U.S. "barcode" pressing as well as a German Harvest pressing. Besides what most people say about the German press, it's not that bad.

2. UK first press. The end.

3. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The UK press of this sounds so much better than the US press.

4. Thatoneguy12

Thatoneguy12 New Member

I saw this thread and made an account to try and post a picture of the pink cover pink insert because thats the one i have (sounds fantastic by the way, i got a practically unplayed copy for 55 bucks) but i cant figure out how to post a picture from my phone.

5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Although I'm very happy with my French first pressing bought on day of issue, it does suffer from quite a lot of surface noise, from playing it on a crappy turntable in the lycée at the time.

Therefore I've been hunting on original copy on eBay for quite some time now but typically the prices are huge and I always get outbid. Still, I continue to watch many of the British pressings that come up for auction.

On Thursday night, seems I got lucky. A copy in excellent condition, sat there forlorn for nine days and I bid on it at the last moment and won it fortune asking price of fifteen pounds. It arrived just now, wide spine and in near-perfect condition. A good clean will probably sort it out fully.

But I'm left wondering why? How come nobody bid on this and is there something I should know about this pressing (which sounds very good to me). Here then is the deadwax info if anyone can shed any light on it :

SHVL 815 A - 3U

SHVL 815 B - 4U

So? Did I do well ?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    ODShowtime likes this.
  6. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

ODShowtime likes this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, you did fine if it plays well. EMI was not paying (their normally) close attention to pressing flaws for this album and some others, so ticks and bad clicks are not uncommon for this UK pressed title.

8. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Have to say it's blemish-free as the seller claimed. I'm mystified as to why there was no interest in it.

9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

hi_watt likes this.
  10. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Sometimes LPs can just fly under the radar. Especially if its not listed as a 1st press etc. (or for that matter, not from a recognised seller of quality vinyl )

11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes. A few months back at around 08:30, I picked up a true April 1973 copy of The Beatles 1962-1966 for 99p. When it came (still with its original gold foil price sticker) I was amazed to find that it looked as though it had been played 2-3 times at most !

In the case of this Animals, though he described it in the listing as 'original' and 'excellent' and then, if one delved further as 'you will not be disappointed'. Sure, I've seen this sort of thing before, but I took a punt and got rewarded. It's just out of the Spin Clean and it sounds remarkable and plays as though it were pressed yesterday.

dbz likes this.
  12. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

£15 is good in 2015 for a UK Animals but not a huge bargain to be honest. You could buy good ones for £5 only a few years ago, even less for the later but still good HTM pressing. It's such a common album here used because it sold well but more people tended to get rid of it than say Dark Side, ie more of Animals floating around the used market over the years.

I'm the opposite, Animals is in my top 10 albums of all time even though I'm not much of a Floyd fan and have never enjoyed Dark Side very much.

13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I'm exactly the same as you!

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  14. BlueSpeedway

Animals is incredible, sucked me in as a kid and never let me go :)

15. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It's why I'm more than happy to pay a relatively small amount for an original copy. Even a cursory glance the other night turned up copies at anything from 50-150GBP.

I also have the original CD that's highly thought of.

16. BlueSpeedway

I guess I'm out of date with ebay etc as I'm thinking mainly of record fairs etc in London, but those fairs with much lower prices than ebay are no use or guide to anyone not near one I guess!

Animals is one of those albums served pretty well on CD isn't it, but I still would never part with my Animals LPs although haven't played them for some time, play the old CBS Austrian-made CD usually.

17. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I have that one too (wide green obi with a live photo on it)
    I thought it was very good too.

Adamski777 likes this.
  18. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

I've got the same as you guys and I'm very happy with mine. Zero surface noise, wide soundstage, room to breathe- all the stuff people normally salivate over. I did for a very short time have a German pressing which sounded a bit chunkier (the only way I can describe it) but it was noisy in quiet passages and I was offered a good price to sell it - it's possible a pristine one may have sounded better.

Vinylfindco likes this.
  19. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

I have a shot at a friends uk animals a5 b7 lp....does anyone have any exp with this pressing? I cant seem to find an early pressing in my price range...i have a 2/2 & 3/2 uk but for some reason i have never been able to get a quiet (er) side 2....i have xlclean copies of everything from meddle on and its bugging me that i cant get a good one...i really want an analog pressing and would be willing to settle for a Canadian or US pressing at this point as long as its rice krispie free...a while back i got scammed by a russian seller for what i thought was a japanese mini lp (turned out to be discovery cd) and its actually quite good (got my money back and got to keep it. But......i want a good vg+ to nm copy for my vinyl collection.

20. yarvelling

yarvelling Forum Resident

I have an original 1977 UK wide-spine 4-U/4-U pressing...looks to be a contract pressing, with a very coarse inner circle and deep ring in both labels.
    Very clean though, and sounds pretty good too!

21. honestabe316

People generally concur that uk pressings are superior.....but up to what point? I know 70's us vinyl,was said to be inferior to uk....but does this go into 80's and 90's too ? And would those 80's uk pressings still be from analog tapes?...very confusing to me

seaisletim likes this.
  22. honestabe316

Just received my 5th animals vinyl pressing. I have bought a uk 2u/2u, a uk 3u/2u, and 3 u.s. 1st issues
    All were listed as vg+ or better. Everyone of them has ticks in the quit sections. I can deal with crackle but not ticks and pops.....they need to do an analog reissue of animals soon or ill lose the last of my sanity. ...ive been able to find decent copies of the other post atom heart mother pressings...animals has been such a tough find....thats all i have to say

23. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

Give em a deep wash, flood them with lots of fluid, my experience is that tics if they aren't pressing flaws are usually embedded dirt.

hi_watt likes this.
  24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Absolutely. I have more or less brought my French 1st pressing of 'Animals' back to life through several deep cleans and several rinses in deionised water. Where there was crackle, especially during the acoustic numbers, there is only music. The crud that came out was unbelievable...

25. honestabe316

I have an ultrasonic v-8 and a vpi 16.5 rcm...unfortunately im apparently not very lucky with my purchases and or sellers decriptions...usually im lucky with my buys....there was a period when i bought several copies of bootsy collins' " ahh...the names bootsy baby" where i had no luck, but thats it....im 99% of the time good on 1st buy....thanks for the advice. Fortunately, after i have re-listed the animals records with an accurate grading, i have gotten at least as much or more in thier resale....its just starting to frustrate the hell out of me...thanks for your advice....