Best Pressings of The Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Just checked the runout groove, John Paul. It's a -1W/-2W. Could that explain the great sound?

Donal, Gavinyl and JP Christian like this.
  2. Jae

Jae Senior Member

I have three Aussie copies sourced from UK-supplied -1W / -1W mothers. A bit veiled IMHO but certainly better than what I was expecting based on numerous forum comments. In fact, very enjoyable.

Gavinyl and Licorice pizza like this.
  3. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

It generally works that the earlier the matrix numbers the better (not always though!) well done on getting a clean early copy!

Donal and Licorice pizza like this.
  4. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Thank you. My wife was commenting on how extraordinary it sounded last night (she rarely does that) and my cat went into a sphinx-like nirvana pose. Ha ha.:laugh:

Btw, if I see the "full art" cover pressing next week I'm gonna buy it and do a comparison.

Rodant Kapoor, Donal and JP Christian like this.
  5. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

For the original mix, just seek out the continental plant copy.

lukpac and Licorice pizza like this.
  6. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I am browsing for a digital download on 7Digital today (I can’t use HDTracks in my country). I can see there are 4 different versions of “Days of future passed”, but it’s not easy to understand what they are:

(1) 1967 Decca Music, 16.44.1 (digitally remastered) [original cover]

(2) 1967 Decca Music, 24/96 [original cover, possibly the SACD version?]

(3) 2008 Decca Music, 16/44.1 (Expanded edition) [cover with cyan text and kind of fluo colours]

(4) 2016 Rarity Music, 16/44.1 FLAC [no DSS logo on cover]

I am pretty sure all of these have a corresponding physical release, but which one?
    Thanks for your help :righton:

7. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Anyone? I've added the links to look them up.
    My feeling would be to avoid the first three editions, but I am tempted by no. 4.

(1) 1967 Decca Music, 16.44.1 (digitally remastered) [original cover]
    Days Of Future Passed (Digitally... | The Moody Blues | Downloads di MP3 | 7digital Italia »

(2) 1967 Decca Music, 24/96 [original cover, possibly the SACD version?]
    Days Of Future Passed (1967) | The Moody Blues | Downloads di MP3 | 7digital Italia »

(3) 2008 Decca Music, 16/44.1 (Expanded edition) [cover with cyan text and kind of fluo colours]
    Days Of Future Passed (Expanded ... | The Moody Blues | Downloads di MP3 | 7digital Italia »

(4) 2016 Rarity Music, 16/44.1 FLAC [no DSS logo on cover]
    Days of Future Passed (1967) | The Moody Blues | Downloads di MP3 | 7digital Italia »

8. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I have to wonder to what extent the Bell Sound stereo mastering equipment (Westrex 3-something, I presume) played a role in the "muddy" sound of original pressings of this album. But then, masterings by that studio (and in particular by Sam Feldman) cut after 1973 or so were done via Neumann SX-68 cutterheads to which all remaining Scullys at that studio were retrofitted in 1970-71. I've heard similar criticisms of other Bell Sound cuttings of "classic rock" LP's (i.e. The Beatles' Let It Be).

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's the mix, as witnessed by UK pressings and digital releases.

10. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

I have the 3W/3W with original mix & it sounds great. Much prefer this to the Speakers Corner remix.

11. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

No one has mentioned the Japanese King pressing. Best one ive heard

Paul K and tspit74 like this.
  12. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

I have a 1st pressing Japan issue of Lost Chord....

13. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Was "Days" reissued by Speakers Corner in 2013?

14. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

An old mono copy of DOFP I have has 'The Moody Blues' written in black lettering on the front not Blue - it's 'white label' Deramic Sound System

Rodant Kapoor and abescan like this.
  15. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

When they have a title part of their catalog, it can go in and out of print several times, and still be part of Speakers Corner catalog. So, it's not technically a reissue, but it might have been repressed in 2013 after some time out of print. But nothing will be different, same cat number, same barcode, same matrix... ;)

jamesmaya likes this.
  16. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

SergioRZ likes this.
  17. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I have to disagree on the Sterling LP. I just picked one up and compared it to my Gilbert Kong pressing and the difference is remarkable. My Sterling sounds muddy and veiled while the GK LP is clear and bright. In comparison, the GK almost sounds like one of those notorious "hot stampers".

skisdlimit, LitHum05 and c-eling like this.
  18. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

As a general rule, I'll take "muddy and veiled" over some jacked up Gilbert Kong cut any day.

But then Kong is probably my least favorite vinyl cutter of all time. Just a matter of taste on these things. :)

19. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Yes, it is a matter of taste for each of us but I wouldn't call my Gilbert Kong pressing "jacked up" at all. To me, it just sounds clear and very present. I'll make a mental note to assess some of my other GK pressings as I stumble on them to see if any of those are jacked up to my ears.

skisdlimit and 4_everyman like this.
  20. teag

teag Forum Resident

What is the record number and deadwax info on the Speakers Corner? I have a German pressing and not sure what pressing it is!

21. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Thanks Bob for the comparison. If I ever run into a thrifter I'll make sure I check the wax for a Gil :cheers:

Bob J likes this.
  22. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

There could be other factors at play. I've never come across a Gilbert Kong cut of DOFP, and I've owned quite a few over the years. I wonder what year it is from and whether it is the remix?

Many claim to hear in the MFSL what you describe, which is of course an entirely different mix. I personally don't like the remix at all. Others swear by it.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

GK is the original mix.

Was a stock LP ever issued in the US with the remix?

4_everyman likes this.
  24. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Not that I've heard. It's possible that it could have turned up on some post-1981 reissue.

25. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Shame there isn't a 50th anniversary deluxe edition coming out on on CD and vinyl like the new Pepper set - The 2LP set could contain the original mix on LP1 and the Remix on LP2 and the CD set could have all the extras and out-takes, plus hi-res and surround versions - I'd buy it, even though I have more pressings of this album than I need already!

andybeau and 4_everyman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.