Best Record Player Under $2000?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ATSMUSIC, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I suggest you go see Greg Baron at United Home Audio. He is in Annapolis Junction, MD. I think he has the Clearaudio Concept on display, at least he did the last time I was there. I purchased my Clearaudio Innovation Compact Wood from him. He really knows his stuff and did a great job setting up the table.

2. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I doubt there's actually a "best", but I doubt you can go wrong with any of the offerings. I've got the Clearaudio Concept and have used is almost daily for a year and half. Works great. Sounds great. Looks great.

I've had friends with VPI Scouts, and they're excellent. And VPI is coming out with a new lower priced table called the Traveler in June.

And Rega is excellent. I'm currently considering moving to a Rega RP6, because I'm putting together an all Rega system, and was impressed with the RP3/Exact combo I'd heard.

But, really, I doubt you can go very wrong with any of them, and given your location, you can probably drive to some dealers and hear them before deciding. Don't purchase based on what anyone else tells you without hearing them yourself, if it's possible. Personal preference will play a part in deciding which you like, especially since they're all great tables. But, in MD, even if you can't find a MD dealer, you're close to enough to DC and VA, that finding dealers to audition them shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, I never used the Concept MM or MC cartridges, but have seen mixed reviews of the MM. The MC cartridge may be worth the extra money if your system can accommodate it. Good luck!

3. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

:cool::thumbsup:

4. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip!

5. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

Regarding the Marantz TT-15S1 turntable, you also get a well-regarded MM cartridge included with that table (the Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood received a B rating in Stereophile's Recommended Components). It will work with all standard phono preamps, and at $1500, the table/cartridge package leaves you $500 towards a good phono preamp.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7273-marantz-tt-15-acrylic-turntable.aspx

6. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

how do you find the Clearaudio turntable Dave? does it sound good?

how would you compare it to a RP3 or RP6?

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If you are thinking of getting the Clearaudio Concept table, rather than going for an MC cartridge, I would look at some of Clearaudio's higher end MM cartridges.

Someone suggested the Marantz turntable, and I have to agree that it's a great buy for the price. I mean, it comes with a $700 cartridge, right? It's also sleek white acrylic, which is very nice to look at. The Concept (both the plynth and the tonearm) are a step up, but because of the cartridge, the Marantz package might actually sound better than the concept with a $200 MM cartridge.

8. deckeda

deckeda Forum Resident

The TT15S1 is the one I meant.

I still think the exact choice isn't as important as the other aspects myself and others have mentioned, but the OP seems to feel the gear is what matters most, first.

What's ironic is, what at first seems like an informed decision can wind up simply being a consensus choice based on anonymous forum popularity, which is not the same.

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Lots of differences. As I am interested in older LPs rather than squeezing out the ultimate in turntable playback, an easily replaceable stylus is important. Right now I am using the lowly Shure 97xe with the stock stylus. The Jico sas stylus is supposed to straighten out the 97's drooping upper frequencies, I'll probably be ordering one this week. Stock, the Shure 97 tracks very well and sounds particularly beautiful on older tube-cut LPs. However, it also sounds dark and closed-in, particularly in comparison to the other MM favorites at this forum from Audio Technica. Many people prefer the sound of MCs and it seems like the best stylus technologies go into MC cartridges. But low-output moving coil cartridges require either a step-up transformer or a phono pre with more signal boost. Such things are not so hard to find, but it does mean more complications and it seems like you don't want that.

In any case, you really need to hear a given cartridge to understand what it's all about. That Clearaudio package really sounds like what you need. Get the Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Pre then plug and play.

10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have that table; it was my main table for a few years and it is a great table. In case people don't know, it is custom made for Marantz by Clearaudio, and is a bargain.

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I've been very happy with my VPI Scoutmaster which you might be able to find used in this price range.

Rickchick likes this.
  12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That's what I did. I bought the P5 when it went on sale. I love it. It was money well spent.

13. Paranoid_Android

Paranoid_Android Forum Resident

Have you thought about this? This is all very easy to set up and is all within your Budget.

Rega RP3 - $895 without Cartridge
    Rega Brio-R - $895 (The Brio-R comes with the built in Phono)
    Cartridge - Ortofon 2M Blue or Rega Elys 2

or

Rega RP6 w/ TT PSU - with Rega Elys 2 Cartridge - $1,690
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RERP6ELYS

Then you have $300 left over to spend on a Phono Preamp of your choosing.

Ntotrar likes this.
  14. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I'd recommend:

used VPI Scout (you can often find one with cartridge)
    Clearaudio Concept
    Marantz TT-15
    Rega RP6

15. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Indeed it is.

16. KenCalgary

KenCalgary Forum Resident

Things to consider

As a newcomer to vinyl here are a few things to consider so that you have a pleasurable time. I would start with a MM cartridge - not too expensive but good - because you WILL catch the cantilever on something and bend it. You can move up to an MC - or not- later. Proper set-up of the cartridge is extremely important so get someone experienced to help you in the beginning. If it's not set up properly the sound won't be right. A stable, level platform for the turntable is important. Vinyl records - old and new - should be cleaned before use (you don't need an expensive record cleaning machine) and brushed before playing. Make it a habit to do this and your records will last and will sound better.

Try out any turntable you're interested in because each, as a mechanical device, has a personality. You might find one is finicky to work with, another has poor ergonomics, etc. Only you can tell what you like. Each has a different sound or character or will play YOUR music the way you like.:edthumbs:

17. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Indeed, that's the limits of the 2M Red's basic (bonded elliptical) stylus showing.

The Concept MC is made from Audio Technica parts, complete with their boron cantilever and MicroLine stylus, in a custom Clearaudio body.

18. ATSMUSIC

Thanks for all the replies, I am now fully overwhelmed. :laugh:

19. Captain Vinyl

Captain Vinyl Forum Resident

I asked the same question some time ago and I ended up buying the Rega RP3 with Elys 2 cartride installed. Couple reasons, the TT comes with a factory installed cart making setup extremely easy. Second, you can upgrade the TT several ways when the budget allows; i.e. new TT-PSU, sub-platter, platter, counterweight, etc.

So far I really enjoy the TT and don't find it necessary to upgrade yet.......But still want to everyday :)

20. ATSMUSIC

Yeah there is really no limit to all this stuff.

21. vinylphilemag

vinylphilemag Member

I've not heard the Concept with the MM cartridge, but had the MC version here for review. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good the sound was. (The review will be in the next issue of Vinylphile.)

That's not to say the other options in the price range aren't just as good, only that I haven't heard all of them (and therefore can't comment). :)

Another piece of advice: personally, I'd stay away from used turntables, unless you can purchase locally. Unless it is very well packed (preferably in original packaging), who knows what damage might occur during shipping?

Good luck, and enjoy your search!

22. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I would definitely also check out the VPI Traveler table. That's probably worth an audition and would allow for a very nice cartridge which I find makes a big difference.

23. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

In the $2000 neighborhood, I'd look real hard at the Well Tempered Simplex. Google for reviews of it and the more expensive Amadeus, which employs very similar principles (namely the golf ball arm that sits in silicon, I kid you not). The Amadeus is a killer table, and the Simplex offers you all the main innovations that the Amadeus does in a smaller, a little more stripped down package.

24. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Right now, Music Direct has b-stock VPI Scouts for $1399. Add a sweet cart and you are in business for under $2k.

25. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Yes - exactly.

Advice you get on forums like this is good to help narrow the field, but I think that for someone new to vinyl it is essential to purchase from a good local shop that can set things up for you and help you trouble shoot anything that comes along.

And I also would recommend staying away from used, unless a local dealer stocks used gear and you can once again rely on them for setup, etc. They'll also typically have a short warranty period (30 days or so) for used gear. At least my local shop does.

And this way you get to listen to different tables: what you like may not be what the consensus recommendation is. I know that when I last upgraded my turntable, I found that I much preferred the AudioNote that I bought over anything comparably priced from ProJect or Rega.

I only learned my preference after borrowing demo tables from my dealer and listening at home with my own gear. When I bought it, they set it up for me so it's been a hassle free way to enjoy vinyl.

I'm not recommending a particular table, just a method for buying one that will give you peace of mind and a great sounding table.

Good luck!

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.