Best Rhythm Sections

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KLM, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLM

KLM Senior Member Thread Starter

I got this idea from the Who thread and was wondering what were the Forum's thoughts on the best rhythm sections out there. By best I mean ones that stood out with a powerhouse of explosive musicianship as well as a unique style. Let's narrow the search and stick with the rock category since there are a lot in jazz (and other classifications). There are a lot of great rock drummers as well as bass players but not too many bands with both.

Some that come to mind in no particular order:

The Who - Moon & Entwistle
    Rush - Peart & Lee
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Smith & Flea
    Yes - Bruford & Squire

Any other thoughts?

2. Mike V

Mike V New Member

There's no need to narrow this to rock. Unless you want to change the name of the thread so Jazz fans can have a crack at this too! :D

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Perhaps my favorite bass & drum combo ever are George Porter Jr. and Joseph "Zigaboo" Modeliste from the Meters, but maybe they aren't "rock" enough for this thread. Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce of Cream are, though. :)

Regards,

4. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Fleetwood Mac - Mick Fleetwood & John McVie

Sly & Robbie

5. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

The Funk Brothers during Motown's classic period:

Bass -James Jamerson, Tony Newton
    Drums -Benny Benjamin, Richard "Pistol" Allen, Uriel Jones, Frederick Waites

No other body of work has such a recognizable kick from the rhythm section.

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Gotta love that Stax combo of Duck Dunn and Al Jackson, Jr.

7. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Sorry KLM, I have to jump in with a couple mainstream jazz names. Those of you not into jazz at all might learn a little. Order is bass/drums.

Scott LaFaro & Paul Motian - with Bill Evans Trio
    Eugene Wright & Joe Morello - with the Dave Brubeck Quartet
    Ron Carter & Tony Williams - with Miles Davis Quintet

Then there's Gene Krupa (with Benny Goodman), the one man rhythm section!

8. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

While Motown's Funk Brothers house band section was my first thought earlier in the thread, on equal footing with them would be the rhythm section of James Brown's 1970 band:

Bootsy Collins (bass);
    John "Jabo" Starks, Clyde Stubblefield (drums)

While JB might have had hotter horns than the 1970 band, this was probably his funkiest rhythm section ever (come on, can anyone ever top Sex Machine, Soul Power, Super Bad, etc.?)

9. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I agree with you there, although I also love the Al Jackson/Leroy Hodges rhythms on Al Green's classics, too. Al Jackson sure does have that feel....

10. Mike

Mike New Member

YES! :)

11. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Best Rhythm Section

Wel, for MY money, for sheer excitement, no one can beat Bob Bogle on Bass, and Mel Taylor on Drums for The Ventures.

Mel, in particular, was the premere Powerhouse drummer of the 60s, before all the other cats. Check him out on the "Live In Japan" Cd.

Some of the best 60s drumming you will ever hear.

Mikey

12. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Darn, and I was about to say Paul Chambers and/or Philly Joe Jones & Jimmy Cobb.

I guess I'll have to wait untill another time. :D

13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

In jazz, the piano is considered part of the rhythm team (at least when horns are present). My favorites:

Tyner-Garrison-E. Jones
    Hancock-Carter-Williams
    Garland-Chambers-Jones
    Evans-Motian-La Faro

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I never knew that! So *that's* where Bootsy started out from! Thanks, I learned something today!

15. Mike V

Mike V New Member

True!

Gotta agree strongly with Tyner/Garrison/E. Jones.

16. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

My favorite rhythm section is bassist Joey Spampinato and drummer Tom Ardolino of NRBQ, especially live. And if you don't believe me, ask Keith Richards, Bonnie Raitt, and Elvis Costello-they're all huge Q fans. Joey is the bassist in the Chuck Berry "Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll" movie and along with drummer Steve Jordan and pianist Johnnie Johnson,
    he swings, baby!

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

BTW, the amazing thing about the original JBs line-up was just how rhythm crazy the whole band was. Phelps Collins was nominally the lead guitarist, but his relentlessly strumming solos were just as in the pocket as the bass, drums, and rhythm guitar behind him. With Maceo gone, Phelps got a lot of his solo time in concert. My favorite tracks of theirs are the instrumental single "The Grunt" and their reworking of Brown's "Give it up or Turnit-a Loose" recorded for the "fake live" parts of the Sex Machine album. I think it shreds the original hit version. Everything they recorded was fantastic, though.

also, Greg Errico & Larry Graham were known to find a pocket or two with Sly & the Family Stone. :)

Well, gosh, since the lid appears to be off for R&B, can we go with Ska/Reggae, too?

How about

• Aston & Carlton Barrett
    • Jackie Jackson/Winston Grennan/Paul Douglas (more or less Leslie Kong's version of the funk brothers)
    • Sly & Robbie
    Regards,

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Roger Glover + Ian Paice = Deep Purple
    Stu Hamm + Jeff Campitelli = Joe Satriani

19. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Atlanta Rhythm Section. Imaginary Lover was a great song.

Ritchie Hayward and Kenny Gradney
    Simon Phillips and John Giblin
    Russ Kunkel and Bob Glaub

:D

20. poidog

poidog Senior Member

If you're looking for unique style and great musicianship look no further than Mike Watt and George Hurley of Minutemen/firehose fame. And Bruce and Pete Thomas of the Attractions are no slouches either.
    Tom

21. xios

xios Senior Member

Whatever New Orleans band is backing Clarence Frogman Henry on "Ain't Got No Home". Mac Rebenac? Lee Allen?...

22. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Definitely the Atlanta Rhythm Section boys - Large Time on MoFi will shred your speakers! Lemme add the Yardbirds' Paul Samwell Smith and Jim McCarty to this list (sure wish first generation masters would turn up on all their stuff - another "where'd they end up" mystery)...

23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I second this!

Also, the Funk Brothers (Motown)
    Bernard Edwards and Tony Thompson (Chic)
    John McVie and Mick Fleetwood

24. Sound

Sound Member

Ten Years After -

Cream -

Tim Bogart and Carmine Appice weren't bad either. (Cactus, Vanilla Fudge, Beck, Bogart and Appice.)

And I agree with Rush also.

25. jdw

jdw Senior Member

I would add Derek And The Dominos;

Clapton (guitar)
    Bobby Whitlock (keyboards)
    Carl Radle (bass)
    Jim Gordon (drums)

and not leaving out;
    Duane Allman (guitar on just the "Layla" album)

The live stuff is especially burning - Clapton made huge strides as a rhythm guitarist in this band (IMHO).

These players were the core of Delaney and Bonnie And Friends (with Clapton as special guest in 1969-70).

Later came Clapton's first solo album (self-titled) and Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" album, so there is a lot of great material from 1969 to 1971 to check out.

My other pick for a great rhythm section would be The Band (Rick Danko, Levon Helm, Richard Manuel, Garth Hudson, and yes, even Robbie Robertson). I don't think you could split them up and just recommend the bassist and drummer. The group was a total package...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.