Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Everybody’s favourite early Beatles album, so it seems. Lately, it’s been my least favourite (that second side is the worst second side they ever did imo). Used to be my favourite when I was young, but.

My favourite song on the album is And I Love Her. The instrumentation is brilliant, especially by George, surprisingly, and the vocals are haunting. One of the very few early Beatles songs to be right up there as one of my favourite Beatles songs. What’s your favourite?

My guess is A Hard Day’s Night in first place, followed by If I Fell and Can’t Buy Me Love.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  2. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

3. 905

905 Senior Member

And I Love Her

4. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I went with "Things We Said Today" but honestly there are three or four others that could have gotten my vote on any given day. Great album.

theMess, jwb1231970, smiecz and 5 others like this.
  6. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Tell Me Why.

LilacTeardrop, Strat62, I333I and 3 others like this.
  7. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

John’s record for sure- went with “when I Get Home.” That’s the one I never seem to pick up the needle and skip.

8. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

"Things We Said Today," the hidden masterpiece.

Phil12, Stencil, geo50000 and 16 others like this.
  9. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

rock solid album. not even a remotely weak track and no ringo vocals. spells perfection.

jwb1231970, Yovra, majorlance and 3 others like this.
  10. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

For some reason I neglect this album a bit, but it's great to be reminded of Anytime At All and When I Get Home- both filled with the awesome raw energy of the Mop-Top era!

11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

If I Fell

August1954, theMess, 81531 and 6 others like this.
  12. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

[​IMG]

Only one option to select - such a hard task!

I could have selected the title track, I Should Have Known Better, If I Fell, Can't Buy Me Love, and (as noted above) the under-rated Things We Said Today.

However, my vote went to "And I Love Her", because it displays a sensitivity beyond the simplicity of many pop songs of the time, a more advanced chord structure and arrangement, and a non-formularistic melody.

duggan, alexpop, Shiver and 3 others like this.
  13. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

A Hard Day's Night, but if I'd been allowed a second vote, it would have gone to I'm Happy Just to Dance with You.

14. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

A Hard Day’s Night

Things We Said Today
    And I Love Her
    I’m Happy Just To Dance With You

I like all of them.
    A great album.

adad likes this.
  15. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Not a weak note on this album but I chose If I Fell.

16. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

It’s a great album front to back, but I have to go with the title track. It’s such a classic and holds up really well despite being released in 1964. It was also the song that got me into The Beatles.

17. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I’ll Cry Instead is in my opinion the only weak track. When I Get Home is okay. The rest are Beatle pop perfection.

18. A Saucerful of Scarlets

There’s always at least one of these comments every poll.

John’s my favourite Beatles music wise so it’s surprising how little I likethis album. Must be the folkeyness.

I never do multiple choice polls because then people can pick all or most of them and it isn’t accurate.

I agree. Definitely a song that holds up brilliant. I think the same for And I Love Her.

19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

From Any Time At All and on the album falls short majorly in my mind. Some of the worst tracks they ever did there.

20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

:bigeek: In what world is that a weak side???? :crazy:

Anyway - If I Fell is my choice but it easily have been one from side two like You Can’t Do That, Anytime At All, I’ll B e Back, or Things We Said Today - all top Beatle classics!!!!

21. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I went through a phase with Tell Me Why and I’m Happy Just To Dance with You where I’d just play it on repeat over and over. Loved them so much. I will admit Things We Said Today really stuck out to me when I gave the album a focused listen with headphones on. Like it a lotmore.

22. A Saucerful of Scarlets

When did I say it was weak?

23. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

I should Have Known better.

24. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I want to say "Things We Said Today" like all the cool people and because it's great and less well-known, but the truth is I've listened to the title track more.

Anyway, there's at least 5 contenders here.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    lightbulb likes this.
  25. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

This was hard, as it's one of my favorite albums ever.

I had trouble between And I Love Her, Things We Said Today, If I Fell, I'll Be Back, and I Shoild Habe Known Better (yeah, half the album, I know...).

I ultimately went with Things We Said Today. There is a mood to it, a tenseness, but overall a mature, wise beyond the years lyric that sits nicely on the music. I'll Be Back obviously was a close follow up!

This is one of the reasons why I love this band so much. It's decidedly NOT something I would expect from a rock band of 20-something's...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.