Best Song on The Beatles' 'Beatles For Sale' Poll?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Continuing on from my With the Beatles (I'll get back to Please Please Me) and A Hard Day's Night's mess of a poll, we have (generally) everyone's least favourite early Beatles album. My favourite song on the album is No Reply. I find the originals here a large step-up from AHDN's but the covers are large step-down from the PPM and WTB. After my little Beatles break a year or so ago I found this surprisingly refreshing and put it ahead of the pack for a bit. Now it's back down. My guess is No Reply>Eight Days a Week>Every Little Thing on the poll.

What's your favourite song?

I like to rate my albums, so I've given Beatles For Sale a 4/5. Ahead of AHDN and same as Help! even if I don't like it as much as either.

Previous Beatles polls can be found here:
    Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ Poll
    The Best Song on The Beatles ‘With the Beatles’ Poll

2. A Saucerful of Scarlets

DISCLAIMER:
    Despite having done a thousand of these polls (give or take) already without having had this issue, apparently it now seems necessary that I have to note that BEST and FAVOURITE, in this case, mean the SAME thing. Since 'best' is an objective word and when regarding music it's impossible to be so definitely objective, it should go without saying that 'best' by definition wouldn't make sense in a poll like this. I say 'best', because 'favourite' would be too long. If you don't agree with that, don't argue, just vote whatever way you want. Are we clear on this? Thanks a bunch. Also, I hope no one's holding grudges against me as I hold none to anyone else. Anyway...

Crimson Witch, Paulette and Hermes like this.
  3. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Every Little Thing

wolfmac, the Mac, Sci-Flyer and 10 others like this.
  4. A Saucerful of Scarlets

This along with What You're Doing were songs I never paid any attention to, so after coming back from my Beatles I was very pleasantly surprised by how damn good they are. This is my second pick.

blaken123 and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  5. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

Love this album but their cover of Words of Love is the best song.

6. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

"Words Of Love". The Beatles never sounded so together and relaxed.

7. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

My favourite is No Reply although Paul's What You're Doing is probably the greater work as a recording. I love the whole album, mono or stereo and always have. I am certain No Reply would have been a big UK hit but instead we had I Feel Fine one of my fav early Beatles singles.

8. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"I Don't Want To Spoil The Party"
    Sure, it's a Ricky Nelson, Everly Brothers rip off but damn if it isn't a great song. And what a story it tells!

9. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I love the song. but I think it was lazily covered. It's slightly different in an important way with the chords but other than that to me it just sounds exactly like the original from memory when I gave it a listen. Not saying they needed to reinvent the song, but I just think many of their other covers were improvements whereas this is pretty equal. Maybe I'm wrong.

mastaflatch, Spazaru and blaken123 like this.
  10. A Saucerful of Scarlets

What a cool cover! Easily my favourite of their early covers. Says a lot about how they were feeling at the time, too. And as Paul once pointed out, George's turnip top is quite impressive! :D
    [​IMG]

Sci-Flyer, gja586, TS582 and 4 others like this.
  11. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

The very magical 'Every Little Thing', from 'No Reply' and 'I'm A Loser'.

'Beatles For Sale' is such a dominantly John Lennon LP. Macca doesn't even get a foot in until 'I'll Follow The Sun', and even after that it's mainly John as the main vocalist. He's all over it.

At least two of the covers - 'Kansas City' and 'Rock And Roll Music' are absolute dynamite.

12. A Saucerful of Scarlets

AHDN is pretty John dominated too. I actually have considered recently that John was the leader of the band up until Help! when it became around equally both of them. Well, as vocalists anyway.

Nick Dunning and Hermes like this.
  13. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I have to go with this as well if I have to pick just one. The harmonies, the chiming of the guitars -- it's perfect. And this is a great album, so the best song on such a work is no easy choice, but there it is.

extravaganza likes this.
  14. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

I love the album from the cover to the covers. It's difficult to choose only one. Loser, Baby's in Black, Mr. M, 8Days, Words of Love, Party... Voted BiB.

rxcory and lemonade kid like this.
  15. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

I'm A Loser.

Could have also voted for:
    Baby's In Black
    I Don't Want To Spoil The Party

Sci-Flyer and Bobguitar like this.
  16. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I went with No Reply

Coulda gone with either

I'm a Loser
    or
    I Don't Want To Spoil the Party

Their worst album, IMO, but still has five or so excellent songs.

17. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

I fully agree with Dr. Dre. He's such a genious!

(last time I disagreed I was kicked out of the thread by some totalitarian hooligans - so called "moderators")

btw: I'm a loooooser!

18. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Agreed. I’m not sure I wouldn’t put Yellow Submarine above it.

19. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Not in Australia. We had the very un-cool cover below, featuring photos from their 1964 Australian tour:

[​IMG]

I first heard this when I borrowed it (with the above cover) from my cousin to tape onto cassette.
    I was disappointed because for some strange reason he had a mono pressing. I wish I had his LP now.

20. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Despite the pot-shot, I agree 100%. The same situation has happened to me twice. Absurd. If this gets my comment down or thread taken down so be it. Needs to be said.

Hermes likes this.
  21. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

I Don't Want To Spoil The Party

22. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

No way, José. The order of excellence is

Revolver/Rubber Soul/A Hard Day's Night / White Album /Sgt. Pepper / Abbey Road / Please Please Me / Beatles for Ale / Help! / Let it Be / With The Beatles.

If Magical Mystery Tour was an album it would be right after Revolver. Yellow Submarine can sail away..

23. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I take petty, personal offense to this.

Hermes and Frosst like this.
  24. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Baby's In Black

25. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

When I discovered the album for myself in 1974 it quickly became one of my absolute favorites. It's a dry run for Rubber Soul IMO. It showcases their versatility in spades -- with straight ahead rock and roll, folk, rockabilly, one of Lennon's best vocal performances ever (No Reply), and full of melodic harmonising and ringing guitars. It is in fact a phenomenal album for the time IMO. While I'm a fan and I like everything they did to greater or lesser extents, I'm sure I've listened to this more than any of their other early albums except maybe for PPM.

It also happens to be the band's best recorded album in its stereo mix, according to our host. I agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.