"Best" sounding Elvis on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dirtymac, Feb 19, 2010.

1. rockin' sergio

rockin' sergio New Member

I have several FTD vinyls and the sound DIGITAL!!! They are not bad sounding records but do not compare the sound with old vinyls because you'll end up very dissapointed.
    I really don't understand why on earth they use analog tapes if then they digitally process them before cutting into vinyl?????

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Many of the RCA Gold Standard 45 reissues are my go to on Elvis material. Agree with our host on this. They have the original tonality.

3. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Could be any of the above. All of my Gold Standard 45's are on the black dog-near-top label from the late 70's, and all were pressed using the original stampers. A mix of styrene (okay) and vinyl (awesome).

McLover likes this.
  4. Michael Manning

Michael Manning Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Do you know from the matrix numbers on these?

5. TMS61

TMS61 Well-Known Member

I have read this thread with great interest. A few months ago I bought a new turntable and took out my old vinyl LPs from Elvis 70's.

After reading this thread, I bought all Elvis releases on Speakers Corner and a couple from Friday Music. These sounds, in my opinion, better than my 70's releases. I also bought an Music On Vinyl release, but that does not sounds significantly better than the old version I have.

So to the point, today I received a mint mono U.S. pressing of King Creole from 1958 and wow, that sound fantastic! (LPM 1884 - J2 PP4183-2S B1)

Now I have ordered more mono first U.S. releases, thanks to you guys :)

And I'll sell all my CD versions. No more "bits and bytes music" in my house if I can get hold on an mint original old vinyl-, Speakers Corner- or an Friday Music pressing

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

In your opinion....which Speakers Corners sounded the best???

7. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

+3 on that!!

8. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Sorry for the late reply. The original German pressing sounded dull and veiled, like the tape used was 2 or 3 generations from the master. Comparing directly with the original US orange label pressing, the difference was not subtle.

triple likes this.
  9. TMS61

TMS61 Well-Known Member

1 Elvis Is Back, His Hand In Mine, Golden Records Vol 3, Elvis Christmas Album
    2 From Elvis In Memphis
    3 A Date With Elvis*, For LP Fans Only*

* "3rd place", but they were the Records with the greatest improvement over the old 70s vinyl pressings. IMHO

10. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

I recommend the Friday Music reissue of "A Date With Elvis", cut by Kevin Gray, over the Speakers Corner reissue. Better sources were used... the SC version is really noisy and has added reverb...

johnny q likes this.
  11. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

The DCC pressings will always be a good close second to high condition copies of the low stamper original RCA LPs.I am lucky enough to have all of them except LPM-1382.Mostly US,but some Canadian,UK,or German.I bought all of them in the 80s and early 90s.My LPM-1254 is a 3s/5s copy.

12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I've collected and enjoyed the Friday Music reissues. I have all but the most recent few.

13. TomMey

TomMey Forum Resident

What is the best version of Elvis' second album available/ Regardless of format, vinyl, CD, Hi rez, etc...

14. TMS61

TMS61 Well-Known Member

Friday Music version

johnny q likes this.
  15. EasterEverywhere

1956 original pressing.It's also rarer and more expensive than the first album.

minkahed and McLover like this.
  16. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

An easy to find, great compilation is the recent 30 #1 Hits set put out by Music on Vinyl. I play it all the time. I'm also interested in the newly or soon to be released Elvis 56 that MOV is doing too.

17. TomMey

TomMey Forum Resident

I've been looking at that too. Has anyone heard it? How does it compare to the CD or German pressing?

18. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Kevan Budd DSD remaster.

John Grimes likes this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Original 1956 RCA vinyl, I deadwax. None finer. Tapes were newer. Best sound ever.

20. TomMey

TomMey Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the Music on Vinyl Elvis 56 lp? I'd love to know how that sounds. In the description it says 'digitally remastered' which concerns me, but you never know till you hear it, or talk to someone else who's heard it.

21. EasterEverywhere

What about the Friday Music?

22. TomMey

TomMey Forum Resident

Anyone?

23. TW2014

TW2014 Active Member

I am attempting to choose a vinyl edition of the Sun recordings, any advice on which I should be pursuing?

24. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Y
    I was impressed with this release too.
    The other issue I love is Golden Records Vol 3 which I have on an early Black Label Stereo platter pressed in Indianapolis with 1S stampers. Wow!

Round N. Round likes this.
  25. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

German fifties and early sixties pressings sound very good to me, very high quality. They're also still a lot cheaper than corresponding UK or US, so without doubt the most price worthy if you just want top audio. Highly recommended!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

McLover likes this.