"Best" sounding Elvis on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dirtymac, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Good to know. TTWII was also issued in quadraphonic in Japan. I'd be curious to hear that.

minkahed likes this.
  2. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Thanks for that that. Have you heard the Friday Music pressing of That’s The Way It Is?

3. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I just pulled out a Golden Records Vol 3 , late black label pressing and it was excellent.
    The Analog Productions 3x45 set (24 Karat Hits) is the best though.

SteveM likes this.
  4. Sorry, no, sadly.

5. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Not ‘Best’ sounding probably necessarily but worth a mention as cheaper, ‘under the radar’, quality alternatives. RCA International mid-80’s European pressings (German - black labels) range from the surprisingly brilliant (That’s The Way It is and His Hand In Mine) to the awful (How Great Thou Art). Not to be completely dismissed or overlooked in any case.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Pelvis Ressley and SteveM like this.
  6. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

The green label Internationals are worth a look as well. Elvis' Christmas Album is excellent, in pure mono. Golden Records Volume 3 is lousy, from a dropout-riddled tape.

ClausH likes this.
  7. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The green label Elvis For Everyone is also very good. The mono tracks are true mono and not reprocessed stereo. It was cut by Bob Jones. He also cut this edition of Kissin Cousins which also sounds quite nice. Elvis Presley - Kissin' Cousins

minkahed and Pelvis Ressley like this.
  8. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

You’re absolutely right about the second Japanese pressing of TTWII. Just bought a copy. Very nice!

SteveM likes this.
  9. Oh brilliant, well done! Did you get the gate-fold sleeve with heavy card stock and an OBI strip? I'm pleased you're enjoying it. The CD sounds wonderful until you play the Japanese LP. Then it doesn't sound quite so convincing afterwards! The LP is really good.

10. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Indeed! The Japanese is very nice. Interestingly though, my mid- 80 RCA International pressing isn't that far behind.

11. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

How so? Thickness doesnt matter as long as the record is already flat.

john lennonist likes this.
  12. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Can I add the 2011 Follow That Dream reissue of ‘How Great Thou Art’ to the list of outstanding Elvis vinyl. I never imagined that the 1967 US Dynagroove first issue could be bettered (especially my Hollywood 4S/3S pressing), and I was expecting the 2008 Vic Anesini mastering, which I wasn’t that enamoured with, but I was way wrong - this is a different beast altogether. More clarity, more ‘presence’ but with all the warmth of the original. It’s like they took the best of the solid state 1970s mastering (which I like a lot), the best from the original tube cut (which is divine) and used the most modern machines to get the cleanest sound possible. A really fine job done there by Christian Wright at Abbey Road.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    minkahed and Leonthepro like this.
  13. bobfrancais

bobfrancais Active Member

Hi i just signed up to post, I always read the posts and have learned a lot about what vinyl to buy, thank you,, I just bought 25 gold standard series elvis 45 rpm records with gold standard sleeves, they are the late 70 pressings, black label dog right of top. I bought them cause a few people here said that they sound great, so i am sure i am in for a treat, but one question, I paid 55 dollars for the 25 records, the seller says they are in vg+ to near mint condition,, do you think i got a ok deal??? the shipping is 5 dollars so 60 dollars in total, all different titles,, Thank you , Also just got a

minkahed and john lennonist like this.
  14. bobfrancais

bobfrancais Active Member

Also just bought a DCC elvis is back vinyl, and it sounds amazing. I have an original stereo vinyl indy pressing but it is in vg condition so i was not that impressed, but the DCC vinyl in mint condition dead quiet, sounds amazing, I love this album ,and i think maybe it is one of Elvis best ones.. Thank you for letting me know what i was missing. Steve did an amazing job , I know he is humble and says that the original producer did an amazing job , and that is true, but to me this Dcc vinyl has to be one of the best sounding vinyl recordings i have ever heard. I got it on ebay just three weeks ago for 20 dollars , i think i scored big time, i thought i would have to pay at least 45 to 50 dollars,, sometimes you win sometimes you win less,,

minkahed, john lennonist and Solace like this.
  15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Excellent from RCA's idea of the Sun Sound. Not the real Suns here. Sorry. To get the authentic Elvis on Sun sound (without RCA's added reverb and processing), there's one way. 45 or 78 RPM Sun originals. No other way. 2.7 mil stylus for playback except Mystery Train.

john lennonist likes this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A company I do not trust, until someone here bought a copy and heard it. This company's a hit and miss label. The original early pressing vinyl on this title is definitive.

17. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

That's All Right is dry on the Elvis at Sun LP that came out a few years ago.

18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Forty fives are the best way to hear Elvis.

McLover and john lennonist like this.
  19. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

20. leeuw

leeuw New Member

Steve, I followed also this advice and bought today a 1971 Japanese That's the way it is vinyl version, but unfortunately I saw too late you were in fact referring to "pressing2" to another member. I have purchased pressing one.Is that an important difference? Can you explain something about the difference? Thanks in advance.

21. leeuw

leeuw New Member

....Steve, I need to learn to be more careful with vinyl purchases. I neglected the part about "Quadraphonic"....
    I have a stereo setup here, and I just read the info about it. Does it mean it will sound like **** without
    a rare unsuccessfull 70's audio system setup?....

22. leeuw

leeuw New Member

I'm Mixing information sorry. The photo of the cover says "stereo" , so I guess it is a normal stereo record. The only odd things is, the merchant says it is the 1th pressing, but it has no golden OBI but the colored one, so I think it must be another pressing. Whatever, if the sound is good I'm happy with it. RCA Japan 1971 SX-61.

23. I have SX-201. Sorry, I haven't heard the pressing you have there but I believe the 1971 issues are all in fact the first pressings as the album did not have a Japanese pressing straight away?

I don't recall making any particular reference to a "pressing 2" either. I only know of the one I have which sounds fabulous.

24. leeuw

leeuw New Member

That's the ,most important! :) Thanks. I looked yours up at discogs, looks nice to. Wow, how many versions are there in Japan only? Would there be any difference in sound quality among records of the same album ,the same year, same country, but a different ID number? If there is, it makes things terribly complex, and information difficult to share. Whatever, if it sounds good it's ok. We'll try.
    SX-61: At di5cogs: /sell/item/94529489 Sorry can't use url links here....

25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Or twenty tens.

Sorry.

Shawn likes this.