Best Sounding "What's Going On"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scocs, Nov 20, 2007.

1. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

UICY-40010 (2013). I wonder if this has the same mastering as the regular SHM-CDs,

Joe P. likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

I compared these again last night and while I will agree that the Baker sounds good, the Matousek sounds great!

rxcory, Simon A and grandegi like this.
  3. grandegi

I'm listening to the Reeves as I write. While I must say it does not sound as bad as expected, I can hear there's a great margin for improvement: it's loud and the high end does not sound "right" when cranked, what's more the low end sounds a bit too pronounced on my system (I gather this is common to other masterings), Marvin's voice sounds ok though.

4. grandegi

Here's a corrected summary.
    Comments and corrections, as usual, are more than welcome.
    I'd love to set up a blind listening test for the redbook versions (but I'm missing masterings #3, #4 and #7).

#1 John Matousek mastering
    Considered bass shy but natural sounding "as if it was taken from the mastertape". One of the favourite masterings. It's available on the early 80s "Motown Compact Classic" (MCC) pressings with catalogue numbers Motown MCD09036MD / 3746353392 / WD72611. It is also available on the 1993 release Motown 530 022-2 with "01" in the matrix. Peak levels: 100 / 96 / 72.6 / 96.1 / 77.5 / 69.8 / 100 / 73.8 / 96.8.

#2 Tom Baker mastering

Available on the 80s What's Going On + Let's Get It On 2-fer with catalogue numbers Tamla ZD72456 and Motown R40M-1002 (Japan). Peak levels: 77.8 / 88.1 / 67.7 / 87.2 / 71.1 / 74 / 96 / 71.1 / 86.3. The standalone Japaese version R28M-1106 has a shift in peak levels: 72.4 / 82 / 62.9 / 81.1 / 66.1 / 68.8 / 89.3 / 66.1 / 80.3. There seems to exist a West German 2-fer (Tamla ZD72456) with the Matousek mastering for What's Going On instead of the Baker one. This mastering has reportedly more low end than the Matousek and it seems to be a favourite one.

#3 Early 90s mastering

Reportedly sounding close to the Larssen, it's available on the 1993 release Motown 530 022-2 with "03" in the matrix. Peak levels: 97.2 / 97.2 / 90.3 / 97.1 / 91.4 / 85.9 / 89.6 / 74.9 / 92

#4 Gavin Lurssen mastering

Considered a favourite mastering by some, but some other folks report it has "boomy bass". It's available on the 1994 release Motown 31453-0022-2 and the later releases Motown 530 883-2 (1998) and 314530883-2 (1999). Peak levels: 100 / 100 /100 /100 /100 /100 /100 /100 /100.

#5 Kevin Reeves mastering

The current one. It's available on the Deluxe Edition with catalogue numbers Motown 013 820-2 (2001) and 013 404-2 (2002) and as a stand alone CD with catalogue number Tamla Motown 064 022-2 (2002). It does not seem to be popular here, it's considered tinny and loud by some, but few other folks do not consider it bad sounding. I think this mastering is also available on the "regular" SHM-CD with catalogue number UICY-15061 (2011).

#6 MFSL (Rob LoVerde) and SHM-SACD mastering

DSD remastering. It's available on the Hybrid SACD with catalogue number UDSACD 2038 (2008). It has a redbook version and a high-resolution version. The SHM-SACD with catalogue numbers UIGY-9030 (2010) and UIGY-9610 (2014) is allegedly the same mastering. Most folks like this mastering.

#7 SHM-CD flat transfer
    Released in 2013 as UICY-75771 (SHM-CD) and UICY-40010 (Platinum SHM-CD), flat transferred from US original analogue master tapes.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2017
  5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I believe Andreas also said the #3 mastering is close to the #4 (Lurssen) though definitely not the same.

grandegi likes this.
  6. grandegi

Corrected. Wish I coud listen to it

7. Joe P.

Joe P. Forum Resident

"For now". That I wrote two months ago. Today I found a mint version of mastering #4.

Listening again: mastering #4 (Gavin Lurssen) vs. # 7 (Platinum SHM-CD):
    I can clearly hear a cleanliness with #7, but it is more constricted and (up-) tight than #4. There is better bass-definition in #7, but at the expense of 'foundation'. It also 'flows' less than #4. All sounds also have more body, less highs than #7. Right now, the magic of the Pt.SHM-CD shines a little less.

I will continue to listen more, to find out if I can hear more differences between #4 and #7 (always system dependent, see profile).

8. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so apologies if I have missed this, but what's the deal with the Super Deluxe 40th anniversary edition? I can only find it as a file on Discogs. Is there a CD version? And what is the extra side that you see on Spotify?

9. Joe P.

Joe P. Forum Resident

There is a Deluxe reissue (looks exactly like the first Deluxe from around 2002) CD on Discogs. Maybe the same [mastering] as the 2011 'Superdeluxe' files?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  10. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Thanks, but it seems to have the same number of tracks as the first edition. I have to check k it with the files version.

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I've got #2, #4, and #5. None are bad sounding. I'd probably lean towards the #2 2fer as a favorite. The 2xCD #5 is essential for the Detroit mix.

12. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I have a twofer and it seems to be the Matousek mastering based on your peak levels.

Tim

grandegi likes this.
  13. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

I was listening to a 2 for 1 last night and had a strange spiritual experience which lasted from track 2 to track 6, this is by no-means what I normally or have ever experienced before.

The disc without SONOPRESS in the Matrix (as images);
    Marvin Gaye - What's Going On / Let's Get It On
    Matrix; B-5932 / ZD 72456 A
    EAC;
    100 / 96 / 72.6 / 96.1 / 77.5 / 69.8 / 100 / 73.8 / 96.8
    DR;
    14 / 12 / 11 / 12 / 11 / 12 / 14 / 12 / 14

Because of the 'experience' I arrive at this thread looking for more info as I was considering yet another purchase (also have a / the deluxe edition).

Does anyone know / have this single Motown Compact Classic edition with barcode 0 50109-5339-2 3
    [​IMG]

14. grandegi

I have a version with a very similar artwork, but catalogue number is 3746353392 and barcode is 7 37463 53392 8

Mbe likes this.
  15. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Thanks, I had it on order from Amazon UK until I viewed a much lower price at Discogs = Cancelled Order

Discogs listing;
    Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Guess I’ll stick with what I have for now, thanks grandegi.

grandegi likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, I have two of those, actually. Best sounding CD for What's Going On. I compared it to the 2 for 1 Baker mastering, the Reeves CD, the MFSL and the mastering in the DE.

rxcory, Monosterio, Mbe and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

I have been reading through the thread again and the waveform posted on page 8 by ‘action pact’ attributed to ‘Matousek’ is / looks the same as my 2 for 1, with one peak just hitting 100%;
    Best Sounding "What's Going On"?

[​IMG]

My 2 for 1 (above image) looks to have a longer intro though, so is this a 'Matousek' also and not a 'Baker'?

18. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

19. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I'm guessing the SHM-CD would be the one to beat - do you have it?

20. George P

George P Notable Member

No, I am quite happy with my Matousek, so my search is over.

rxcory, grandegi and Simon A like this.
  21. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I like the Deluxe Edition with the Detroit Mix. I think it sounds good. Original vinyl sounds great also, I wish mine was in better shape, though.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

The Detroit mix on the DE sounds (and is) great!

Simon A and patient_ot like this.
  23. grandegi

Same here. I acquired a Matousek and compared it to MFSL (exact copy), Reeves and Baker (exact copy). On my system the Matousek is the most natural sounding and I really enjoy it, so my search is over. Wish I could listen to the SHM-CD though and possibly set up a thorough blind test

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  24. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Here is a sample from the SHM-CD:
    Code:
    http://www42.zippyshare.com/v/9rf2AP9m/file.html

You'll notice it has a lot more bass than the Matousek CD, and is actually closer to the MFSL SACD.

grandegi likes this.
  25. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

The funny thing is (or not) the disc had almost been discarded at one time,
    as it was amongst a small pile at the bottom of a cupboard nervously waiting.

[​IMG]