Best T4P - System ???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sathvyre, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac Thread Starter

Hello,

I am looking for the best possible T4P system. I have two Technics SL-Q300 direct drive turntables and I really love them !!! The last years I listened to my records with Ortofon OMP30 systems, but I have to transfer some very rare records for a rerelease on an official CD to harddisc...which T4P system would you recommend ??? Thanks in advance !!!

2. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I too have a Q300, and it is pretty good.

I don't know of any good currently available T4P cartridges, though I'd assume it's possible to find the Ortofon bodies and OM30 styli still. I've used Technics (poor), AudioTechnica (some acceptable, some not), the Shure V15 LT (wonderful, but the stylus died) and currently a Stanton with a stereohedron stylus tip.

The main problem is no-one is making nude mount, low mass tips for the current models. If you don't mind the sound (I haven't tried mine yet) the Grado silver and gold should be pretty good in this set-up. Not sure if they are still low mass tips on these.

I was told that Technics made a nice low output MC that only went on the SL J10 (top of range parallel tracker) but I've never seen one.

You should be able to source Stanton bodies and good quality original and replacement styli for them at the moment, but we're not sure if the manufacturing will continue. Other than that, I would stick with the OMP30 if it's in good condition.

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Technics Low Output MC was the T4P to end all T4P cartridges. Ortofon made a HOMC which was one of the better ones.

56GoldTop likes this.
  4. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

If you do, I'll fight you for it. They're great carts. I still keep one in regular rotation.

Of the current crop, the Ortofon X1-MCP is a pretty good player, followed closely by the OMP with a 40 stylus. An X1 in an old SL-10 still fronts my NAD 3020 system, but it isn't all that embarrassed to play in the big rig.

5. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

In recent years, there have been a few places still selling the Digitrac 300SE T4P cartridge. I bought one about a year ago. It's supposedly the equivalent of an Ortofon OM30.

6. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Any T4P cart that has sonics comparable to the Shure M44-7? I'm switching back-and-forth between an SL-1200 MKII and a Technics SL-10 linear turntable. I love the tracking and ease of use the linear tracker provides, but I really like the sound the M44-7 on my 1200 produces (my SL-10 has an Audio-Technica AT211EP).

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  7. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Technics EPC-P205CMK3, Technics EPC-P205CMK4, EPC-P305MCMK2 or something along that line, possibly. I'd be quite happy to get my hands on one of those. :agree:

8. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Grado offers their entire Prestige series in P-mount.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not possible. The M 44-7 is totally outside T4p limitations.

10. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

That's too bad. For such an inexpensive cartridge, it really sounds dynamic.

In anyone knows, if I do decide to go with a Grado P-mount or similar, would the SL-10 have to be adjusted to accommodate for tracking force? I don't see any adjustment dials on the unit.

11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I have tried dozens of Pmount carts on my Technics SL-M3 including some highly coveted NOS models from Stanton, Pickering etc. Nothing has ever sounded as good as the entry level Shure M92E with Jico SAS stylus. The Shure is only around $30 dollars and the Jico was about $130...not a bad investment. The upgrade over the original Shure stylus in terms of sound was NOT subtle and it has yet to meet an LP it cannot track.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I used the M94e on my SL-M2 for years with decent results. Wasn't aware of the JICO option. Loved the M2 though!

johnny q likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.