Best versions of Rush - Moving Pictures and 2112?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Diver, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I'm bummed my 2900 wont play it because the burned tracks I was able to copy sound fantastic. It's right up there with the MFSL to my ears.

2. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Some Denon's, in my experience, don't do as well with scratches..Particularly the ones from the late 90's and up. The ones from the 80's handled them well.

Anyway, I just found out why I can't extract the audio from my Signals. I held it up to the light and the disc is full of little pin holes. Fortunately, this phenomenon rarely affects playback. I have tons of CD's that have at least one pinhole. You can only notice them if the written side is silver. Now I have to find another copy, or some nice person who can "loan" me theirs. (IE: Files) :righton:

3. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

01!

I picked up this copy of a US MP Atomic today. It has the same EAC values as the matrix 800 048-2 03 disc.

! :shrug:

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member Thread Starter

That is a keeper then. :righton:

5. Muzyck

This Canadian Anthem CRC copy shares the same EAC values of the US silverface. (522664T ANC 11030 on the spine)

6. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Mind you there are two masterings of Moving Pictures on Anthem, and I think that one above is less common. (Did we ever determine which one came first?)

7. Muzyck

Just a guess, but based on the fact that the US silverface showed up after the Atomic and the EAC values on this Anthem match I think this is a later copy. Just my .02.

8. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

9. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Just so some of you can consider another opinion from a non expert, I bought from the classifieds weeks ago the MFSL of 2112, Japanese 25.8p-5076 and 2011 DE of Moving Pictures.
    Before I bought these I had only heard the 97 remasters and DE of these two albums. Furthermore my first copies of these albums were bought 6 years ago which are original masters, USA silver sides and not atomic.
    To be honest I think ALL of the aforementioned discs sound great and have listened to them hundreds of times during the years. I also love the 5.1 mixes and the stereo layers sounded good to me as well, nothing remarkable though.
    Today I listened for the first time to the JPN MP and MFSL 2112 and was blown away by the gold disc! I heard absolutely no distortion and Geddy's vocals sound awesome and up front, the bass frequency is astonishing (very noticeable on Tears). I did notice more clarity on some passages on the remastered versions, but over all I think the MFSL is incredible. Definitely my favorite version of the album. I don't understand why so much hate for it as I didn't perceive anything wrong with it.
    Regarding the JPN MP, I enjoyed it as much as any other version. To be honest, my original US CD comes very, very close, except I noticed much more treble in the Japanese version. I could gladly party with it if it meant some good cash, but I'll just keep it for now.

Tomorrow I will listen to my remasters and DE again to check for further differences. By the way I was using Grado RS2 headphones, a sweet headphone amp and a SONY BDP-S370 BR Player, so I think my equipment was decent in the least. I don't do much of my listening through speakers.

Hope this helps!

hi_watt likes this.
  10. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I just wanted everyone associated with this long-dead thread to know that all your sage advice led me to picking up silverface copies of MP & 2112- I got rid of my original cds in '97 when the remasters came out & at the time the "loudness" appealed more to my young ears. Really digging the dynamics of the original releases. Thanks again! :)

yesstiles likes this.
  11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

This week I've picked up a few Rush used CDs and have been very happy with the sound. One of them was a VANK Canadian Anthem series of Permanent Waves and I was very impressed with the sound and overall presentation. Another one that I found that causes some confusion, is a Canadian Farewell To Kings ANMD-1010 Canadian Anthem. I know the 1997 remaster is ANMD-1079 but the disc I found shares the same CD design as the VANK Permanent Waves, but is ANMD-1010 and I can't find anything on Discogs about this CD or the original release date. Sounds incredible too.

Well I'll be seeking more of the VANK series as they offer great sound for a great price.

Very interesting thread guys, it's been very helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.