Best vinyl "Off the wall"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fraser, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fraser

fraser Forum Resident Thread Starter

I`m in London and want to get the best vinyl pressing of this Michael Jackson LP. Is it worth looking out for the EPIC Mastersound audiophile pressing and if not would a US 1st press beat a UK 1st press, and if so how do I identify a 1st press US label / matrix details.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Fraser

2. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

By all means original US pressings of "Off The Wall" sound best to my ears. The first run pressings can be identified in the runout groove. It's the albums' catalog number followed by 1A. I actually own later pressings of this album that sound equally as good. I would avoid the Mastersound 1/2 speed mastered disc since it doesn't sound nearly as good as the regular pressing. It only really collectable in part because it was pressed in smaller quantities than the "Thriller" Mastersound LP.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

For vinyl, stick with the original US Epic pressing, if you can find it. The bonus is that you will get the original mixes of "Rock With You" and "Get On The Floor". All other versions have the Micheal Jackson-ordered remixes.

4. fraser

fraser Forum Resident Thread Starter

What`s the style of the label I should be looking for- is it blueish with the epic label in dark blue/grey colour large centre top ? as I have seen this one on ebay and might mail a question about stamper numbers if it`s the correct label.
    Thanks
    Fraser

5. Grant

Here is the US label. The British version may look as you describe, but I can't say if it is the original version.

6. I have a US "white label promo" that sounded fabulous(almost audiophile)!!!

7. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I can't say for sure since I've never seen an original UK pressing of this album, but don't the European labels have the Epic logo in black print on a baby blue background like the 80's era ones do?

8. Grant

I have a German pressing of Heatwave's 1982 album "Current" on Epic, and the label is almost the same as the US version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.