Best vinyl pressing of The Band MUSIC FROM BIG PINK

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigmikerocks, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

The new MFSL is a beautiful sounding record, but if you do a little reading on the site, the original UK is a forum favorite (over the new MFSL) and I have an original US rainbow label with A1/B1 in the deadwax which also beats it slightly. Longer decay and better separation of instruments, undoubtedly from a very fresh tape. Maybe it is one of the very first pressings?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    WilliePD likes this.
  2. Ronnie Lane

Ronnie Lane Member

Were there multiple MFSL releases? I've read of one released in 2011 and another in 2012. If so, which is the superior copy?

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The 2012 is best. The first MFSL did one which was also very excellent.

4. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I need to check my early copy. I think it's an original and sounds like a lot of late 60s masterings where things seem "rolled off". I've heard the Mofi which sounds good but nothing that made me want to buy it immediately. I need to get deeper into this album.

5. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I listened to the 1997 UK EMI Millenium pressing this morning, and it's really good. All analog cut by Sean Magee at Abbey Road Studios. Super nice pressing, dead quiet and dynamic.

GyroSE and GentleSenator like this.
  6. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

7. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

I have a green label US that sounds pretty good to me, but nothing I can see in the deadwax to identify it other than W4 on side 1 and W5 on side 2.

8. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

2012 MFSL :)

9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

That's my go-to copy. Big improvement from my mid-'70s orange label pressing. Very nice, smooth low end.

10. spitback

spitback Forum Resident

Exceptional!

11. The original MFSL issue has a purple banner across the top while the newer version has a black banner across the top.

Leonthepro likes this.
  12. The rainbow label with the text starting at 8 is the first issue and 9 is the second. Shortly after this album was released, Capitol Records switched the text at the bottom of the rainbow label to include "subsidiary....". So that's why there are 2 different rainbow versions of this album.

13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Anyone know how the current universal 'Back to Black' vinyl reissue compares? I think its a fairly new reissue...

14. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

I've got this too, and agree sounds good. Does anyone know more about this pressing?

15. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

I haven't heard that reissue, and not trying to thread crap here, but I've never been happy with any Back to Black vinyl and won't buy another anytime soon.

Leonthepro and Neonbeam like this.
  16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

You dont like the Nick Drake reissues?

Fishoutofwater and Adamski777 like this.
  17. Adamski777

I have them, and they're terrific. Also read elsewhere on the forum that the current European Back To Black of Derek & the Dominos' Layla (apparently with a yellow sticker on the front) is the best ever sounding version of that album.

Fishoutofwater and richbdd01 like this.
  18. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

This is not something I am aware of.....thanks

19. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Well, I have to admit I haven't heard those. Perhaps their QC is better now, but I bought at least 4 different B2B LP's and between poor SQ, spindle holes drilled off center, and warpage, I wasn't happy with any of them. It's probably been 4 or 5 years since I bought the last.

20. karmicg

karmicg Forum Resident

One of my all-time favorite albums, my go-to is the 80's MFSL, which beat the UK green and US rainbow. Haven't heard the newer MFSL though. However, after sifting through about a dozen US rainbows there are some that sound pretty damn good. Also, anyone have the UK mono rainbow original? I know it's supposed to be a fold, but it is one nice sounding fold, and certainly a different perspective if you're a die-hard fan--I recommend it if you can find one.

Gardo likes this.
  21. stem

stem Forum Resident

Does anybody here have the fairly recent Capitol Albums vinyl box set ?
    How does that stack up in terms of sound quality (both for this album in particular and for the whole box set) ?

22. Adamski777

It's definitely on one of threads, it's all analogue as well. I'm back in the UK end of next month and will pick one up. Don't dare order online as the earlier Back To Black pressing is not meant to sound good (apparently with a black sticker on the front). Yellow one is remastered by Miles Showell from the master tapes.

23. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I wonder if that is the same mastering as the 40th box set version, I am sure that was done by Miles too. If this is the case I personally prefer the UK 1st Polydor super that I have.

24. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Its case by case imo. Get those, they are pretty much definitive for Byter Layter and Pink Moon. Also the James reissues are absolutely top notch (Laid and Wah Wah)....ive had some really good stuff from Back to Black in recent times.

I agree that some of their stuff has received mixed reviews, especially their reissues from a few years ago but its worth keeping an open mind...

Adamski777 likes this.
  25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The older MFSL has all the bass messed about with according to Fremer if i recall correctly...

Adamski777 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.