Best vinyl pressing of THE CULT: Love...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by latheofheaven, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog... Thread Starter

Hello All! :wave:

I tried doing a search and also going through their 'Appreciation' thread. But, they mostly are just talking about CDs and concerts.

I have had both Love and Electric on vinyl almost since when they came out I think. I haven't listened to them in Forever! I gave them a listen tonight while I was over in my listening room, and interestingly both albums sonically sounded COMPLETELY different. I need to look up the deadwax information on Electric, but my Love is a Columbia Record Club pressing. Love sounded pretty bright and horrible. However, Electric sounded frigg'n AWESOME! WOW, what a difference! I haven't looked up the particulars yet, but it is a US Sire pressing with a very strange sentence in the deadwax. Something like, "MAKE SURE TO LAY DOWN YOUR MONSTER" or something similar. Weird... But MAN, did that sound GREAT! Absolute night & day with Love...

So, I read some of the discussion, only 2 pages, about the 180 vinyl remasters, but everyone seemed to think they were pretty bright. I think they did mention, too, that the US Sire pressing was bright also. I don't know if it was a 1st pressing or if that will make any difference.

Love & Electric are among my favourites I would really LOVE to be able to get a nice sounding pressing of Love. So, if anyone has any suggestions, that would be great!

Thanks! :tiphat:

Old Rusty likes this.
  2. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I have both as well on Canadian vinyl, and I can say that Love is relatively brighter than Electric. It doesn't sound horrible as you described it - it's relative - but it is on the bright side. I used to have the cassette as well, and I remember that it was brighter than usual. In fact, even when Sanctuary was played in nightclubs or bars, it sounded relatively brighter than the other tunes. So, while you may find a better pressing, chances are that it will still be bright. I think it was recorded that way to begin with!

dbsea and latheofheaven like this.
  3. latheofheaven

Yeah, from what I'm 'hearing', that is likely the case... :shake: You would think if someone who KNOWS what they are doing could remaster it, maybe they could 'correct' or improve it somehow (I can't believe I'm actually saying that... [​IMG]) Well, although not ALWAYS the case, just maybe this time the fact that it is a Club pressing MIGHT be making it worse. We're talk'n pretty strident and unfocused here... Whereas Electric is truly breathtakingly stunning!

Thanks for the reply mate! :shtiphat:

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  4. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

You're welcome!
    Apparently, there is a vinyl reissue that has been remastered, but judging from the comments, it still seems bright. You may want to just get a better original pressing. They're relatively easy to find and not that expensive...

latheofheaven likes this.
  5. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Just snag an original US or UK pressing of LOVE (not a club edition LP) and you'll be all set.

6. latheofheaven

GOOD! THAT is what I wanted to hear! [​IMG]

Thank you! [​IMG]

Any preference for the 1st UK or 1st US...?

7. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I have the US version and have only heard the UK version (and it was good), but given that the UK version is country of origin it may be slightly better than US.

You can't go wrong with either one as they are both as good as this album is gonna sound.

punkmusick and latheofheaven like this.
  8. latheofheaven

Awesome!

Thank you! [​IMG]

9. latheofheaven

Well... I did snag one of the many variants of the 1st UK pressing (the one done by 'Bilbo' I think) and I didn't do a comparison yet, I just quickly checked it, but it still sounded pretty dang bright :( Off the top, it MIGHT be slightly better than my US pressing, I will have to compare them directly, but my first impression wasn't that exciting...

I DID see that the Canadian Vertigo label pressed this as the 1st Canadian pressing too. Mr. Vinyl, didn't you say that you had a Canadian pressing and that, although also bright, how did you think it sounded overall...?

I REALLY would love to find a decent pressing of this. I just got a 1st UK pressing of Sonic Temple and it is bloody AWESOME! My US DMM of Electric is excellent too. Now, if just SOMEONE could cough up a decent pressing of Love, that would be great! I'd love to get 12" singles of some of the songs on it, but apparently there are only variations of She Sells Sanctuary. I would frigg'n KILL for a nice 12" of Phoenix! What a song! (especially for a guitar player [​IMG])

10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Did you ever consider that these albums were produced by different people with different priorities? "Love" is never going to sound like "Electric". It is what it is.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    sunking101, perplexed and Summerisle like this.
  11. latheofheaven

Thanks a lot for the encouragement... [​IMG]

Dude, I'm not making ANY claims or stupidly thinking that Love is going to sound just like Electric.

Any crime in diligently looking for at least a DECENT sounding pressing of a good album...???

Geez mate... Isn't that precisely why we are here...?

12. Neonbeam

Well... I guess if you don't like the UK "Bilbo" you'll never find a satisfactory "Love". Dude:evil:

13. latheofheaven

That may very well be true... If you are more knowledgeable about this album and what the pressings sound like, it would be far more kind and helpful simply to tell me that in your opinion, the UK one that I have is likely as good as I can find, rather than smugly telling me 'It is what it is' These forums are full of sometimes hundreds of pages of discussion of finding the 'best' or better pressings of a certain album. I'm rather surprised at your comments here. I normally really appreciate your many expressions throughout the forums, especially regarding vinyl, and have found them informative and helpful.

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

If I can source a Canadian for a good price I may look into it. I have a couple Emile Lepine New Order/JD cuts that I really enjoy so I may risk it. But i'm thinking there is only so much these guys can do with what they're given.

15. Neonbeam

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. Some of these posts are written on the subway so sometimes what may come across as "smugness" is just mild irony.

What I really wanted to say is that "Love" is a product of a certain time and I guess the production reflects that. In order to change that you probably needed a Steven Wilson job of remixing the thing.

Since that won't happen I guess the UK "Bilbo" is the most "authentic" presentation of "Love".

Could have written it like that in the first place, eh?

16. c-eling

I just figured you were naturally evil Neon, I got used to it a few years ago :laugh:

latheofheaven and Neonbeam like this.
  17. Neonbeam

Well... I'm a Capricorn, just waiting for Saturn:evil:

latheofheaven and c-eling like this.
  18. c-eling

Now it all makes sense... I should of known :laugh:

Neonbeam and latheofheaven like this.
  19. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Hmmm. . . Not sure how I missed this thread before. Yes, the US Sire pressing is way too bright. I have a German pressing with a much more agreeable tonal balance if I recall correctly, but it’s been awhile since I played it. I’ll need to confirm. . .

20. latheofheaven

Yeah, you are most likely right, and apparently with the other comments here, it seems like it indeed 'is what it is' :)

However, I believe Mr. Vinyl above said that he had a Canadian pressing, so maybe we will hear from him.

I have a line on a 2 LP UK 12" in Portugal that has a live version of Phoenix on it, so we'll see... :)

Cheers mate!

21. latheofheaven

Thanks Bro! I really appreciate your taking the time and giving thought to your reply :) Sorry too... I was just so frustrated at the moment after banging my head on the wall so much (unfortunately NOT from listening to The Cult though)

You know how sometimes after spending hours straight reading, and concentrating, and sending notes to people on Discogs, etc., it can be somewhat fraying on the nerves, and then you stagger back here (well, I do anyway) sobbing for help! (Man, what a total wussy! [​IMG])

So, no biggie. Like I mentioned just now above, it apparently 'is what it is' unless I figure out how to pull a miracle outta my @...

Cheers Bro! :tiphat:

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. latheofheaven

DAMN! THAT must be what it is... [​IMG]

23. latheofheaven

Isn't that something...

I could've SWORN you were from Uranus... :pleased:

24. latheofheaven

Please, that would be nice mate! I always carefully follow many of your comments too! (Geez, what a suckup... sorry... [​IMG] )

Do you suppose that it would be much different, though, from the 1st UK pressing that I have (I really need to check the deadwax again; I THINK it is a TAPEONE from bilbo, but now I'm not sure...) I'm kind of wondering what the DAMONT pressing would sound like? There are like FIVE frigg'n variations of 1st UK pressings!

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Can’t compare to a UK as I’ve never heard one. The German copy just has generic machine stamped matrix codes in the deadwax (again, if I recall correctly) so it should be a different mastering than UK copies.

PS Appreciate the compliment, but I can assure you my advice is always worth exactly what you pay for it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.