Between the Buttons: An underrated masterpiece?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul Curtis, Nov 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Curtis

Paul Curtis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Okay; as long as we're debating the Beatles' greatest vinyl achievement, I just thought I'd ask whether I'm alone in regarding Between the Buttons the Rolling Stones' finest LP. (I know I wasn't always alone in this--BtB was also Frank Zappa's favorite, though he preferred the U.S. lineup, while I like the U.K. version best.)

As much as I enjoyed Mojo's recent Stones special, I found it most galling that, whereas the likes of Exile and Sticky Fingers are relentlessly praised for their grim-and-grimy, down-home "American" qualities, their most British of LPs gets slagged off with a two-star rating (lower than any of their other '60s albums--even Got Live rates three stars). It's got that wonderfully druggy Swingin' London vibe, wrapped up in the most creative arrangements, and packed with real musical invention--and it isn't dragged down by any tedious, half-assed jams, a la "Goin' Home." But I suppose that's all a bit too effete for some critics, eh? The sort of thing best left to Ray Davies?

Bah. Between the Buttons is a brilliant album--one of the decade's finest--and it'd sure be nice to think that somebody out there agrees with me!

(The Stones' greatest single? "We Love You" c/w "Dandelion." No question.)

--Paul Curtis

2. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

great single, but She's a Rainbow b/w 2000 Light Years From Home is better:)
    I love BTB. Brill all the way through. Yes, it's very druggy....look how trashed Brian Jones is on the cover....what a charming pic...but come to think of it they were all trashed in that photo:)
    As much as I love it, my fave remains Satanic Majesties, mainly because they were never more creative and adventurous than this. While BTB is a bit more consistent, TSMR just has them going right over the edge into chants, total space out, symphonic grandeur and wonderfully full-fledged psychedelic hard rock. The original cover is also better than BTB, as fab as BTB is and always will be. For me, '66-'68 is truly the stones finest period. While some post-Brian albums are nice in their own right, they're really working from a tried and true formula since Majesties made some diehards wince and Beggars was nearly universally praised. They went in the direction laid out in Beggars for pretty much the rest of their career (sidetracks into disco and punk not withstanding).

krisbee likes this.
  3. James RD

James RD Senior Member

BTB has always been my favorite Stones' album. This is a complicated subject, but I've had a bit of an obsession with a certain Miss Jones for a long time.

All Down The Line, FJFP and ajsmith like this.
  4. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

between the buttons

I agree that it's a wonderful LP - I've been championing it for over 20 years
    first of all it has my favourite sound of all Stones LP's - very dry and clean - and some great songs - get the UK version the track listing is better.

I thought I knew the record - until I finally tracked down an original Mono Red Decca copy - OH MY OGD - sounds amazing and a very different mix.

And the BEST Stones single if fact the greatest ever 45 was Jumpin Jack Flash - I'll argue til I die.

tim

ArpMoog, drad dog, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  5. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Good thread, I too believe that "Between the Buttons" is one of the Stones finest. I remember in grade school I had 4 teeth extracted and was literally bed redone for 4 days. My mother felt sorry for me and went to good old Goldblatts and picked up the newest Stones LP. It was "Between the Buttons" the U.S. mono version of course. I played the hell out of that record and became my favorite at the time. Although I grew up on the U.S. version, I abandoned it for the U.K. line up years ago. Great record, unfortunately the critics were never fond of it, oh well, they are entitled to the're opinion.

CDFanatic and altaeria like this.
  6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I have a pretty high opinion of BETWEEN THE BUTTONS myself. It would be the highlight of most bands' catalogs, but this particular band also released NOW!, AFTERMATH, BEGGAR'S BANQUET, LET IT BLEED, STICKY FINGERS, and EXILE ON MAIN STREET. BTB does have the virtue of not having been played to death by radio (or by The Rolling Stones in concert), but I can't rank it higher than seventh in their studio output.

AMG does give it a perfect score: five stars.

7. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I always loved that song "Connection". Keith and the Winos did it when I saw them. I believe Montrose used to do a nice version
    Good Thread
    Best-
    Norm

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I agree it's underrated. I had this album for years but didn't care much for it until recently - now I love it! I've played it more in the last few months than any other Stones album. I still trying to decide if I like my London stereo LP better than the SACD. My LP is not in the best of shape but the SACD sounds a bit strange to me, like it was remixed or something. To these ears, songs like "My Obsession" and "Miss Amanda Jones" sound more alive on the LP than the SACD.

9. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Yes!
    Absolutely, I agree that Between the Buttons is a brilliant and very under-rated album. I also thought that what that Mojo Special issue said about it was ridiculous (and the magazine was pretty good otherwise).

I have always loved this album, even when I only had the crappy old Abkco CD of it . The reissue from a few years back was a HUGE improvement.

By the way, the movie The Royal Tennenbaums features Between the Buttons pretty prominently in one scene. "She Smiled Sweetly" and "Ruby Tuesday" are played.

(And I do love We Love You/Dandelion, but I wouldn't say that's their best-ever single. I'd probably go with Jumpin' Jack Flash.)

-George

10. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

yes, of course BTB is underrated and imo the best sounding version on cd is the original w. germany london stereo cd.

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I LOVE the BTB UK mono LP version. I believe that is the best way to listen to this album. However, I have a soft spot for the stereo US version (as in London W. German CD)....I also have a soft spot for the mono Flowers LP. To tell you the truth....Aftermath and BTB plus the singles (Pain it Black, Let's Spend the Night/Ruby Tuesday, and Have you Seen your Mother) all seem to be part of the same body of work.

12. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

"Please Go Home", "Ride on, Baby" as well!

13. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Re: between the buttons

Ditto
    And had the best b-side (Child of the Moon) also.

Joe L.

14. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

BTB is a quirky, strong entry in the Stones catalog, but it hardly replaces AFTER-MATH, let alone BB, LIB or EXILE.

And what version does one prefer? The original british edition(my fave)or the US edition with the "Ruby Tuesday" single added?(so of course I made a CD-R putting them all together, in AFTER-MATH-like fashion).

Probably the breeziest(if that's the word)of the Stones albums. Light but with a lot of punch. They wound very relaxed here in a way you don't find anywhere else, IMO.

ED:cool:

15. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Me, Sir!

Agree with you 100% about Buttons. I've always felt that Brian's influence was especially strong in terms of style and instrumentation, even though he was fading fast by that time.

--------------

Best Single: J.J. Flash

Close second: H.T. Women

Third: We Love You

16. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

I sometimes think that Sgt. Pepper's induced a change of direction for the Stones, which produced Majesties and killed the direction Buttons indicated for the band.

Not that I find fault with anything they did after that, but I wonder what would have they done if they had followed that direction.

john fisher likes this.
  17. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

I agree that BTB is an under rated Stones LP and I much prefer the UK version. I have no use for "Let's Spend The Night Together", which leads the US pressing. It might have been racy when it was issued, but sounds dated to me now. But it's not my favorite Stones album or best, IMO. Having said that, I do believe it's ESSENTIAL to any well-rounded Stones collection.

Edit to add, my favorite track on BTB is "Who's Been Sleeping Here?", the Stones tribute to Dylan. 2nd fave, "Back Street Girl", exclusive to UK version. Just another reason why I like the British version better.

The MEZ and The Beave like this.
  18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I see a bit of a powerplay between Brian Jones and KR/MJ for control of the group's sound/direction. I think the Beatles influence was secondary. When Brian died, it ensured the direction the band would take, and their subsequent 5 albums are steeped in blues. I believe Beggar's Banquet - Exile are their strongest because of the inclusion of Mick Taylor. However I do like BtB a lot and Brian Jones' influence was interesting though often cheesy.

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Great thread! I have always loved BTB...it's just so quirky! Almost a folk album in sound...very acoustic...unlike anything else they ever did. I like the US version cause I wouldn't want to be without "Ruby Tuesday" or "Let's Spend".

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"BTB" is definitely a very good album - dunno if I'd call it a "masterpiece", but I've always liked it very much. Fave track? Easily "All Sold Out", one of the band's nastiest little rockers. I'd dearly love to hear them try that one live now...

Man at C&A and Tristero like this.
  21. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

The problem with Buttons is that it suffers from comparisons, not only with the Stones' other classic long-players, but also to the rest of the "class of '67".

It's still a wonderful album, though.

22. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Only to people who compare albums! :D

abor1g likes this.
  23. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I've always liked "Between The Buttons", and IMO, it is most definitely the Stones' most underrated release. I also agree that the CD version to have is the original West German CD; although I do prefer the UK track listing.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

fortherecord likes this.
  24. patricku

patricku New Member

BTB

Has a quality of his own. This album fell apart many others, not only the one procreated by the Stones.
    For be it the best of them all. It has a kind of haze surrounding attractive and erotic.
    A master work

mikefromlongisla likes this.
  25. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Thanks to that album, I always wear white when I ride my bike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.